The Reading FC Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Re: The Reading FC Thread

Postby The Red Heifer » 29 Sep 2013, 01:04

It's been incredibly pleasing. Not having Sentanta the best I can do in regards to support is wear my Le Fondre away kit and shout at my telephone but it makes me confident for going straight back up again.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 29 Sep 2013, 11:49

If the old adage about winning when not playing particularly well is to be believed, then Reading are looking very strong. Interesting run of games coming up, so I'll reserve judgement until after the next four. The top of the Championship is packed with decent teams this year, not like last time the Royals went up, so it could be a difficult season, one from which expectations shouldn't be too high.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Sep 2013, 12:00

Apart from the 1st taste a number of players got with RFC last season there's a lot of PL experience in that squad now - Kelly, Bridge, Drenthe, Guthrie, Baird, Sharp - all have played a good number of games at that level and of course Williams has played at top level in Germany.

Plus of course in McCarthy we have the best young English keeper around and an extremely able deputy in Federici.

I don't see anyone, basket-case club QPR apart, with as strong credentials in their squad so I think we should be looking Top 2 for sure.

(Interesting that although QPR have amassed an impressive 23 points from 9 games, there have only been 12 goals scored in all those games - 10 for and 2 against.)

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 29 Sep 2013, 12:12

Lord Rother wrote:(Interesting that although QPR have amassed an impressive 23 points from 9 games, there have only been 12 goals scored in all those games - 10 for and 2 against.)

To be honest, based on previous farces, I simply can't see the living soap that is QPR getting through the season without in some way imploding or collapsing.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Sep 2013, 14:17

Agreed.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Dec 2013, 09:35

Still a little bit cough / splutter but 5th at this point is an excellent launching pad...

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 02 Dec 2013, 09:57

Lord Rother wrote:Still a little bit cough / splutter but 5th at this point is an excellent launching pad...

Very important win on Friday. A loss and three draws was looking ominous, but an away from home win against higher-placed opposition (and back into the play-off places) will hopefully be just the boost they need.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 02 Dec 2013, 10:10

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Still a little bit cough / splutter but 5th at this point is an excellent launching pad...

Very important win on Friday. A loss and three draws was looking ominous, but an away from home win against higher-placed opposition (and back into the play-off places) will hopefully be just the boost they need.

You probably caught us at the right time - we're really struggling with injuries at the moment at Forest. Club captain Chris Cohen is out for the season, and Andy Reid is only just coming back from injury, so two very key players weren't in the starting line-up. I was pleased that at least we showed spirit to level the scores from a 0-2 deficit (not the first time we've done that this season either...), but ultimately it wasn't enough.

Anyway, congratulations on your win.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 18 Jan 2014, 22:22

Gosh!

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Jan 2014, 00:38

Popular opinion seems to be that having no Guthrie has feed up the team to attack with more pace and direction.

Whatever it is, one can only imagine for the first time this season (I think) Adkins will surely play an unchanged team next week.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 19 Jan 2014, 08:38

Lord Rother wrote:Popular opinion seems to be that having no Guthrie has feed up the team to attack with more pace and direction.

Whatever it is, one can only imagine for the first time this season (I think) Adkins will surely play an unchanged team next week.

I just wished they'd stopped at three or four and saved some goals for the next few games.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Jan 2014, 18:59

Finishing the game with 5 players who had come through the academy is a feather in the cap for the club.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Jan 2014, 19:10

An amusing little exchange on Twitter and the scoreboard at the Madejski Stadium yesterday after Le Fondre's hat trick...

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 20 Jan 2014, 03:21

Le Fondre's hattrick is damn timely, both for his own self confidence but Adkin's confidence in him, especially given rumours he wanted out. Despite Leeds fans deluding themselves that he'll link back up with McDermott, he won't be going nowheres.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Mar 2015, 12:51

Blimey!

Wembley here we come.

Unfortunately we have seemed completely unable to deal with Arsenal in 6 PL games - mind you, going 4-0 up the in the League Cup a couple of years ago was enjoyable. Ultimately losing 7-5 wasn't.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Mar 2015, 15:37

They did excellently last night - put the game to bed early and never let Bradford get a look in.

Of course they will be struggling against Arsenal in the semi final but that really is their final. And, who knows, on the day..... can you imagine Reading in the FA Cup Final?!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Mar 2015, 19:26

Not really!

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 17 Mar 2015, 21:46

Imagining it is the easy part!

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 17 Mar 2015, 22:08

Well done Reading- thoroughly deserved.

My lad didn't take it so well - he's refused to wear his blue school jumper today.
Fishstick selling fuck

Return to “Sporting Life”