Small list of useful Mac stuff.

Computer issues and app recommendations
Bucolic Old Sir Henry
Trufficulteur

Postby Bucolic Old Sir Henry » 03 Feb 2006, 01:53

The Prof wrote:Downloaded it, opened it up and over an hour later it's still saying "Starting Up" :?

Same here. That's a pity...

Pip pip!
Limestone Hills/Hot Topic
"She had a snake for a pet, and an amulet,
And she was breeding a dwarf, but it wasn't done yet."

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 03 Feb 2006, 20:48

Snowdog
Real Doyen
Location: Sitting at the back, looking cool but feeling all alone.

Postby Snowdog » 04 Feb 2006, 12:03

Cool. I went for the airplane window & the blue sky.

Perhaps I crave freedom.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

--
Judgement Day is upon you

Postby -- » 07 Feb 2006, 21:24

WMV plugin for Quicktime...

http://www.flip4mac.com/flip4mac_home.htm

:)

JQW

Postby JQW » 22 Mar 2006, 18:03

MacTheRipper is now dead, taken down due to legal problems from Macrovision. You might be able to find a copy somewhere, but there's no Intel Mac version.

I don't think there's a simple equivalent. You can do things at the command line level that circumvents the CSS encryption if you're feeling geeky.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

JQW

Postby JQW » 26 Mar 2006, 12:19

la giraffe wrote:
JQW wrote:MacTheRipper is now dead, taken down due to legal problems from Macrovision. You might be able to find a copy somewhere, but there's no Intel Mac version.

I don't think there's a simple equivalent. You can do things at the command line level that circumvents the CSS encryption if you're feeling geeky.

but you can carry on as normal if you already have it, right?

Yes. Well at least until a future system update breaks it, which might happen.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Martial Lawniz
BCB Troll

Postby Martial Lawniz » 26 Mar 2006, 15:04

la giraffe wrote:
JQW wrote:MacTheRipper is now dead, taken down due to legal problems from Macrovision. You might be able to find a copy somewhere, but there's no Intel Mac version.

Some of the newer DVDs can outwit Mactheripper. I know there's other ways of ripping within the program, but even using those, designed to get around the copy protection shite, still fail. I've gone back to using the PC.

JQW

Postby JQW » 13 Apr 2006, 10:15

There's a command-line tool called dvdbackup that will do DVD ripping. You can compile it with the Fink project. It won't strip out the region code or remove Macrovision, though. I've run it in the past on my iBook. I'll be testing it on my new MacBook Pro today

Roxio have just released Popcorn 2.0. It's a universal binary, meaning it'll run on the Intel macs natively. Popcorn 1.0 supposedly runs on Intel machines too, but I've no idea how long it takes.

Martial Lawniz
BCB Troll

Postby Martial Lawniz » 13 Apr 2006, 14:45

JQW wrote:There's a command-line tool called dvdbackup that will do DVD ripping. You can compile it with the Fink project. It won't strip out the region code or remove Macrovision, though. I've run it in the past on my iBook. I'll be testing it on my new MacBook Pro today

Roxio have just released Popcorn 2.0. It's a universal binary, meaning it'll run on the Intel macs natively. Popcorn 1.0 supposedly runs on Intel machines too, but I've no idea how long it takes.

I'm surprised you got a MacBook so quickly.

Any problems yet?
I was eating Strawberry. Hello.

JQW

Postby JQW » 13 Apr 2006, 15:40

Ahahasverus wrote:
JQW wrote:There's a command-line tool called dvdbackup that will do DVD ripping. You can compile it with the Fink project. It won't strip out the region code or remove Macrovision, though. I've run it in the past on my iBook. I'll be testing it on my new MacBook Pro today

I'm surprised you got a MacBook so quickly.

Any problems yet?

I needed a new Mac, and preferably a portable, so went for one. They have revised some of the internal bits already, and I believe mine is one of the revised models.

Nothing significant seen so far. The only problem is that there's a few applications that won't work via the Rosetta translation layer, but they're getting updated. The apps I've tried so far do run, though, even something as ancient as Appleworks. I've not played with Popcorn yet, but I gather that has some problems when it come to handling disk images.

The hack to boot Windows is just that - a hack - and very crinkly at the edges.

It's the Intel port of Mac OS X that's the big issue. Every update so far has been huge, meaning that they're still tweaking with it. The update from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6 was over 100MB.

JQW

Postby JQW » 03 May 2006, 21:15

Real Player is now a universal binary. Beforehand getting the BBC audio player to work on an Intel mac was a pain, as you had to tell it to use Rosetta to run Safari to get the thing to work. No such problems now.

Snowdog
Real Doyen

Postby Snowdog » 15 May 2006, 10:00

Bob wrote:
la giraffe wrote:

Some of the newer DVDs can outwit Mactheripper. I know there's other ways of ripping within the program, but even using those, designed to get around the copy protection shite, still fail. I've gone back to using the PC.

The only problem I've had with it is that my Mac's region is set to 2 so when I put in a region 1 disc, DVD player launches & asks me if I want to switch region.

If I say no it quits the app & chucks the disc back out, making it unavailable to Mac The Ripper, obviously.

Then I found that if I just leave DVD Player asking me the "region switch" question & go to Mac The Ripper it can see the disc & will rip it quite happily.

Of course, I don't have a dual layer burner & most compressions I've done using DVD 2oneX have been unsatisfactory if there's 8GBs worth of data to shoehorn on.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 30 Jun 2006, 20:23

Given that I am on the brink of buying an Intel mac and one of the primary uses will be copying DVD's (some with copy protection), will I be faced with a problem? If I cannot download MTR, what can I do?
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 04 Jul 2006, 19:53

Just noticed an interesting thing you can do in Roxio's Toast app.

MP3 projects on DVD can be a bit limited. You can play them on the computer but most (if not all) home DVD players won't recognize them as music discs.

In Toast you can drag loads of MP3s into the 'Video' part and set a menu. If you have the artwork in the right place you can burn a disc that will play like a jukebox on the telly and all the artwork will appear with the track titles. Takes a while to burn it, but it's a pretty cool feature.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 04 Jul 2006, 19:57

So now I'm burning Slider's Beatles collection to make a playable DVD with menus, sub-menus, artwork, the lot. Fantastic!

Snowdog
Real Doyen

Postby Snowdog » 04 Jul 2006, 23:09

Classic Prof wrote:So now I'm burning Slider's Beatles collection to make a playable DVD with menus, sub-menus, artwork, the lot. Fantastic!

*Coff*

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 05 Jul 2006, 20:20

Snowdog 2006 wrote:*Coff*

If that a *Coff* in a like *cough* sense?

Snowdog
Real Doyen

Postby Snowdog » 05 Jul 2006, 21:02

Dances With Difficulty wrote:
Classic Prof wrote:
Snowdog 2006 wrote:*Coff*

If that a *Coff* in a like *cough* sense?

If he didn't mean *cough* as in *cough* then I certainly mean *cough* as in *cough* :D

I did indeed mean *cough*.

As in *cough*.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 05 Jul 2006, 21:22

Cough medicine on it's way.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 06 Jul 2006, 19:16

Balboa wrote:Given that I am on the brink of buying an Intel mac and one of the primary uses will be copying DVD's (some with copy protection), will I be faced with a problem? If I cannot download MTR, what can I do?

Can anyone give guidance on this?
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Return to “OK Computer?”