'Update and Shut Down' in Windows 10

Computer issues and app recommendations
The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

'Update and Shut Down' in Windows 10

Postby The Dríver » 26 Apr 2016, 09:15

I've lived with a few of Windows 10's quirks but after the recent update one has started to annoy me; the start menu Power options now include 'Update and Restart' and 'Update and Shut Down'. When I first saw these I assumed that this was a slightly less 'in your face' way of Windows having downloaded some update files and rather than interrupting what I was doing to tell me the update was about to start (like it used to do) it was being a bit more user friendly. However, when I select either of them no updates are being applied and the computer restarts or shuts down as usual.

At first I thought maybe the recent updates hadn't installed correctly so I rolled back the PC to 8 April, but a couple of hours later it informed me that it needed to update and so I let it do so. After the update had completed the two additional update options reappeared in the menu, and despite me having tried both of them it doesn't appear that there is any update taking place and they won't go away.

I've had a quick Google but couldn't find anything....
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

JQW

Re: 'Update and Shut Down' in Windows 10

Postby JQW » 27 Apr 2016, 14:36

I've seen it as well recently on a PC running Windows 10. Microsoft have recently changed the update mechanism, so I'm suspecting that there's a bug in it somewhere. It's likely to get changed again sometime before the Windows 10 Anniversary Update appears in a few months time.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 28 Apr 2016, 11:25

Presumably that's to make the update experience better rather than ambushing you part way through whatever you're working on. Whoever thought that was a good UX needs their head examined.

JQW

Postby JQW » 28 Apr 2016, 23:28

The notifications in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update preview are even worse - a few days ago I got a notification stating that an update was installing, and it was simply the latest definition updates to Windows Defender.

Come to think of it, perhaps that's the problem? Did a few Windows Defender definition updates go out a few days back with the wrong priority set?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 29 Apr 2016, 13:14

Not sure. WIth 7 and 8.1 I meticulously checked each update to see if it was worthwhile; not that I'm such a technical guru that I understood all of them but I could spot sneaky Windows 10 nagware and stuff that I could tell I didn't need. Since I don't have the luxury in Windows 10 anymore to choose what I want then I've stopped looking to see what's being installed.

I don't use Windows Defender anyway (largely because it is shite).

I've been ok with W10 in the main up until now but if this is the shape of things to come i'm rapidly beginning to lean towards backing everything up and reverting to W7Ultimate again. Aside from the multiple desktops and quick boot-up there's nothing in 10 that I'd miss. Come to think of it, I've been looking to replace the hard drive of my PC (which is 8 years old now) with a new SSD or hybrid, so this might be a good time to do it. Should speed up the Windows 7 boot time a bit too...

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 May 2016, 00:16

I developed a problem with the computer re-booting itself after shutting down even though I had clicked "shut down" and not "restart". I ended up getting round it by changing the button on the desk top itself to shut down rather than the default sleep mode and it seems to have got rid of the problem so far.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 09 May 2016, 09:24

And now 'Shut Down' and 'Restart' have both disappeared to be replaced by their 'Update and...' counterparts. This shouldn't irk me but it does. Why not just change the menu item to 'Update and Shut Down' when there are updates to install, rather than infer every time you close down/restart that there are updates to be installed...

Return to “OK Computer?”