Windows 10

Computer issues and app recommendations
billy
A pound

Windows 10

Postby billy » 23 Jul 2015, 11:43

Should I take advantage of the impending "free" upgrade?

Or should I decline

I haven't got a clue ...
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

JQW

Re: Windows 10

Postby JQW » 23 Jul 2015, 12:27

Microsoft have been making Windows 10 publicly available for the public to test for some time now. The most recent builds have been fairly stable, with a few exceptions such as the OneDrive cloud service. The build I'm running at the moment is allegedly the one which will ship new week, however I suspect that some of the apps have yet to be updated to the final version.

The start menu is back, but could do with a little speed. Cortana is nothing but a gimmick.

You have a whole year to apply the upgrade.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 11 Aug 2015, 13:37

I got my upgrade on 2nd August. Prior to that I did a clean install of Windows 7 and Office 2010 (because a few things weren't working the way they should and a Windows Repair wasn't fixing them). After collecting all the Windows updates I reasoned that this would be a pretty stable basis for an upgrade to Windows 10, the only other software having been installed being Firefox.

Despite the relatively clean slate it's been a bit buggy, with two things in particular proving to be annoying.

Firstly, if I tried to go in to adjust sound settings for playback or recording the box would become disabled, grey and 'Not Responding' for several minutes whenever I double-clicked on a device. The last time I did this it seemed to work ok, though I probably need to check again. I just haven't had cause to make any changes.

Secondly, the Start menu has a couple of peculiarities. Not all functions are available until the PC is fully 'warmed up', though I can live with that. Far more annoying is that if I right-click on a tile to remove it from the menu it stays where it is. Then, oddly, if you right-click again it includes an option to add it to teh start menu as well as remove it. It takes a reboot for the changes to take effect.

I haven't had time to root around on the 'Net to find out if these are issues others have experienced or not.

Something I wouldn't classify as a bug, but certainly rather odd, is that under Windows 7 I had the Hibernate option enabled and the Power Options configured so that if I pressed the on/off button the system would hibernate. The Hibernate option was also available on the Power options along with Sleep and Shut Down. Following the upgrade the start menu no longer has hibernate as an option on the Start menu when I select 'Power', but hibernate still works if I press the on/off button on the front of the PC.

I was also impressed that at the point of upgrade it didn't assume that I wanted to go gung-ho into the Windows store to buy apps, and so it didn't prompt me for a Microsoft account at any point.

On the whole I quite like what I've seen so far, and given my fondness for Windows 7 (which is, in my opinion, the release when Microsoft finally got it right) is something I'm quite surprised at. That said, I think I shall revert to Windows 7 at the weekend and leave it till a bit later before upgrading the PC again.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 12 Aug 2015, 10:37

Very useful, Mr Driver - thanks. I haven't plunged yet ...
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 Aug 2015, 10:43

I'm a bit put off with a story in my paper that one of the bugs seems to let people in my 'friends'-circles take advantage of my WiFi-network....
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

JQW

Postby JQW » 12 Aug 2015, 11:52

I've had some odd power management issues here, such as the CPU being throttled at about 23% when resuming from sleep. I've not yet managed to pinpoint the problem on Windows 10 or my laptop's drivers.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 12 Aug 2015, 11:56

never/ever wrote:I'm a bit put off with a story in my paper that one of the bugs seems to let people in my 'friends'-circles take advantage of my WiFi-network....

That's not a bug, it's a setting. When you start the upgrade it offers an Express Settings (or something like that - definitely Express something) which proceeds to do all the sneaky shite you'd expect, including this wi-fi sharing thing. If you don't do the Express set up you can switch all that off.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 12 Aug 2015, 11:58

JQW wrote:I've had some odd power management issues here, such as the CPU being throttled at about 23% when resuming from sleep. I've not yet managed to pinpoint the problem on Windows 10 or my laptop's drivers.

Not had that myself, Paul. It seems to respond quite quickly resuming from sleep, and this on a dual-core Intel, 3GB RAM machine that's 7 or 8 years old.

JQW

Postby JQW » 12 Aug 2015, 12:33

The Dríver wrote:
JQW wrote:I've had some odd power management issues here, such as the CPU being throttled at about 23% when resuming from sleep. I've not yet managed to pinpoint the problem on Windows 10 or my laptop's drivers.

Not had that myself, Paul. It seems to respond quite quickly resuming from sleep, and this on a dual-core Intel, 3GB RAM machine that's 7 or 8 years old.

It's something specific to this laptop model. There's a topic on the manufacturer's own support site, but as yet no-one has managed to come up with a working solution. Someone has also seen the problem with Windows 7.

JQW

Postby JQW » 15 Aug 2015, 21:37

I've just come across a nasty bug in OneDrive. If I edit a group of files already stored there, they will initially resynchronise back to the cloud with no issues. A while later, though, some of these files will mysteriously disappear.

DAWnofthedeadheads

Postby DAWnofthedeadheads » 05 Sep 2015, 09:50

I took the free upgrade. The whole ordeal lasted about five hours: two to install, two to figure out/customize/try it out, and one two roll back to windows 8. After the upgrade the computer didn't recognize my graphics card, startup was sluggish, I couldn't even run two programs at once (internet and VLC media player), and that was after having looked for fixes for all the issues.

Results will inevitably vary. My computer is at the lower end of the spectrum, I run old games, and its main use is recreational, so switching everything around is just unnecessary.
Sorry, I must have left the portable CT scanner in my other pair of pants.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 11 Sep 2015, 12:56

OK, I've had it on my PC for 5 weeks now, and it seems to have stabilised. Mine isn't a modern PC - good spec in 2007 when I bought it, but that's pretty much old for a PC. 3GB RAM with an Intel dual core processor.

Nothing hangs anymore when I click on it, and so far no compatibility issues. It's a little disconcerting that I can no longer choose not to install Windows Updates (just delay them) but I'll no doubt get used to it. It's much more like W7 than W8 or W8.1 (which I'm finding to be a bit yuk on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3)

frimley_greener

Postby frimley_greener » 14 Sep 2015, 19:08

Just a Windows 10 aside....I have used Chrome for years,but noticed it slowed considerably,putting it down to isp issues....O n the spur of the moment I downloaded Firefox...and blow me the whole thing is lightning fast now! Might be worth a try for others going through chrome/windows 10 issues...
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 16 Sep 2015, 09:27

I have had a love affair with Firefox since it first appeared and it's wonderfully fast on W10, even on my ageing PC. Edge, as you'd expect, opens instantly, even it then spends a few moments girding its loins before it's ready to be used.

I've never actually been much of a fan of Chrome but in my line of work I need to look at lots of things across different browsers, and so I have downloaded this too. I am not impressed. It is much slower than the other two browsers.

JQW

Postby JQW » 18 Sep 2015, 10:13

Occasionally changes made in Windows 10 appear to be not for the better.

I've just discovered that Microsoft removed the Guest Account feature from Windows 10 quite late into the development cycle. The Guest account was useful as a quick means of allowing another user access to a PC for web access without having to go through the whole process of assigning user passwords and so on. No doubt there's security reasons as to why it's no longer available, but I certainly did use this feature only a few months ago on one of the Windows Insider builds.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 18 Sep 2015, 15:30

Hadn't noticed that, mainly because my PC is primarily for work purposes and therefore there's no-one other than me who needs to log onto it.

Return to “OK Computer?”