Recover Deleted Android messages

Computer issues and app recommendations
The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Recover Deleted Android messages

Postby The Dríver » 30 Jun 2015, 09:11

Mrs The Dríver has a Samsung Galaxy S which has, until now, been totally reliable. However, yesterday (for no apparent reason) all her text messages disappeared.

Is there a way to get these back? Normally for such things I'd use something like Recuva to find things but I believe that the SMS messages are held somewhere protected on the file system and the phone would need to be rooted to get access.

Ideally there's some decent free software out there, but I'm prepared to fork out a few bob if necessary for something that'll do the job.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

Underwater
Now more than ever

Re: Recover Deleted Android messages

Postby Underwater » 30 Jun 2015, 09:44

File undeletion software works because filesystems tend not to destroy data once it's been 'deleted' by the user; rather, the filesystem puts markers around data that state that it can be overwritten if need be. In cases where the data has been overwritten by something else, recovery turns from a chore into a miracle; with Android's solid-state memory the task is complicated even further.

If it were a photo or something I'd be compelled to say there's a chance, but I'm inclined to think the memory a messaging app writes to is going to see a lot of action going through it, making your job complicated if not impossible.

Sorry for the defeatist view. Feel free to try it anyway, but don't expect anything.
Also, a tin teardrop

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 30 Jun 2015, 09:58

No worries!

She called me straight away when it happened and I told her to stop using the phone for anything, in order to minimise any risk of anything being overwritten.

I have seen apps online which claim to be able to recover deleted messages, but I'm wary in case they are malicious. I've seen Wondershare recommended, but that costs a few bob if you want to run it in anything other than trial mode.

Underwater
Now more than ever

Postby Underwater » 30 Jun 2015, 10:05

I reckon if you stick to the Google Play store and don't sideload anything you'll probably steer clear of the worst of it. Perhaps try installing one of the more reputable-looking apps in trial mode to see if it can actually find anything substantive before paying for it.
Also, a tin teardrop

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 30 Jun 2015, 10:27

Yep. I'd rather try something WIndows-based that will scan the device first - I don't want to download something from the Play store only to have it overwrite the text messages!!

Return to “OK Computer?”