The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Replacing RAM

Postby The Modernist » 16 Nov 2014, 09:40

How easy is it to do it?

packrat

Re: Replacing RAM

Postby packrat » 16 Nov 2014, 12:11

Can you open a pc unassisted and recognise the various parts? If yes, then very. You just need to be sure to match the ram to the motherboard correctly.
the rat is back - more or less!

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 16 Nov 2014, 13:59

Fairly straightforward. There will be countless tutorial videos on the net. Be careful opening the case (unplug and de-power it before, of course!), make sure you don't touch anything unnecessarily, make sure you're not carrying any static electricity.

There used to be a great utility at crucial.com that scans your motherboard for what types of RAM it can use, and what you've already got installed (and therefore your options for upgrade, which it will try to sell to you).
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

JQW

Postby JQW » 16 Nov 2014, 21:47

The type of RAM modules varies considerably, as does the capacity of these modules that motherboards can take.

If the machine has a 32-bit processor, you will be limited to 3GB of RAM in total due to technical reasons - 32-bit processors can only address 4GB in total without some fudging, and some of the memory map is taken up by other hardware such as the video adaptor.

Then there's the requirement of some boards to take modules in pairs of the same capacity, which can complicate things further.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Nov 2014, 21:59

packrat wrote:Can you open a pc unassisted and recognise the various parts? If yes, then very. You just need to be sure to match the ram to the motherboard correctly.

Yeah. I usually find some on-line diagram to help me. I did successfully replace a psu last year.

packrat

Postby packrat » 16 Nov 2014, 22:20

The G Experience! wrote:
packrat wrote:Can you open a pc unassisted and recognise the various parts? If yes, then very. You just need to be sure to match the ram to the motherboard correctly.

Yeah. I usually find some on-line diagram to help me. I did successfully replace a psu last year.

In that case, you should be ok! Is this a pc or a laptop btw? And what ram is there now, and what do you want to increase to?
the rat is back - more or less!

Return to “OK Computer?”