Do talk back
Jeff K
The Original K

Re: great garage ALBUMS

Postby Jeff K » 09 Feb 2009, 22:43

zphage wrote:http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kzfuxqyrldte
THE KOALA

by Bart Bealmear
The Koala prove themselves to be above average players, full of passion and conviction on their lone album. "Look at the Way She Comes" is typical of the band's best material: a Who/Stones hybrid with bile-inducing vocals, wild psych guitar, and a tight, nearly deranged performance — plus it's a great tune. At first, "Strange Feelings" seems to be teen-punk angst all the way, but features an unexpected yet seamless raga detour (and the only time they would noticeably embrace Indian music). "Poppa Duke Tyler" borrows both the melody and subject manner of "Eleanor Rigby," but instead of going the somber route the Beatles took, Koala uses the universal theme of loneliness to produce a stomping, unhinged rocker — complete with fuzz-tastic guitar solo from Louis Cane — where the protagonist is actually driven to the brink of madness by the isolation. Like many garage vocalists from the mid- to late '60s, singer Jose Mala's super-snotty, Jagger-like snarl foreshadows punk, but Mala has so much New York attitude and an obvious dedication that he should stand with his peers as one of the most affective vocalists of the era. In fact, it's the whole group's commitment to the material that makes it stand out from other lost garage-psych acts from the time. Their energy and enthusiasm is so infectious, with arrangements that are subtle, yet manic and appealing, it makes up for the handful of unremarkable numbers here. Drummer Joe Alexander and bassist Anthony Wesley are a competent rhythm section that manages to hold it all together even while flailing about; Cane's hyper lead guitar work is spot-on throughout; and the songs of Mala and rhythm guitarist Joey Guido are fine to fantastic tales of lost souls, wrecked relationships, and fading childhood. Truly one of misplaced gems of '60s garage pysch-punk.

1 Don't You Know What I Mean? Guido, Mala 2:40
2 Look at the Way She Comes Guido, Mala 3:28
3 Poor Discarded Baby Guido, Mala 3:08
4 Nothing's Changed Guido, Mala 4:22
5 She's a Lady Guido, Mala 3:21
6 Colours of Our Rainbow Guido, Mala 5:29
7 Poppa Duke Tyler Guido, Mala 2:41
8 Strange Feelings Guido, Mala 2:54
9 Elizabeth Guido, Mala 2:37
10 You Say Guido, Mala 2:30
11 Yesterday's Rain Guido, Mala 2:33
12 Lady Dressed in White Guido, Mala 2:42
13 Scattered Children's Toys Guido, Mala 4:38

Damn! They sound interesting and I've never heard of them.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

der nister

Postby der nister » 09 Feb 2009, 22:48

Jeff, guitarist went onto Sir Lord Baltimore. Allmusic link has songsamples.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 09 Feb 2009, 22:59

Jeff K wrote:Image

I turned Feeb onto this album. He never heard of them before.

:?

:lol:

Anyway, their second and third albums are way better, I think. The first one has the hits, but the next two are much more consistent. Hardly a duff track on these two. Extra-highly very recommended:

Electric Comic Book

Basic

I've never heard much of the final two Blues Magoos albums (they made five), but they are a totally different group and a different sound.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 09 Feb 2009, 23:01

zphage wrote:Jeff, guitarist went onto Sir Lord Baltimore. Allmusic link has songsamples.

Paging pig bodine! Sir Lord Baltimore has been mentioned!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2009, 23:17

Sir John Coan wrote:
I downloaded it today and was playing it earlier. I like it, but it's very basic-sounding - at times you only really hear him and a strummed guitar. It's wild and weird but I wouldn't say it's so frantic, pace-wise.

I'm off to listen to it again.

What you say is true of quite a bit of it I guess, I've been playing You Don't give Me No More a lot which I think is pretty amazing. Perhaps I'm seeing a lot of the album through the lense of that track.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 09 Feb 2009, 23:49

penk! wrote:
Lance Matthew wrote:Image

That one's actually rubbish except the singles.

As the disappointed owner of the Prunes album I agree 100%. I have no idea who was thinking what to force that material on the band. The singles were so great... their fans obviously wanted something that rocked, but NO.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

B

Postby B » 10 Feb 2009, 00:06

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 10 Feb 2009, 00:20

Great call, Brian. Especially CQ. One of the greatest albums, period. Garage or not.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 10 Feb 2009, 03:04

I really liked that Koala record that zphage posted about. Some parts sound like The Stones with heavy fuzzy lead guitar. The whole album isn't solid, but enough of it is good to take a punt on it.

The hilarious thing was their management spread the story that the band was from Australia in a misguided attempt to make them seem more exotic or something. But when you hear the vocals, they sound like Jagger via Brooklyn.
Last edited by king feeb on 10 Feb 2009, 05:29, edited 2 times in total.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Feb 2009, 04:56

Lance Matthew wrote:
penk! wrote:That one's actually rubbish except the singles. The Monks one is a cracker, though - but I think Coan hates it.

Nonsense.

I think you mean Garbage, Penk.

And Matt's right on that one.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Feb 2009, 06:03

There's a lot of BCBers who don't like that first Prunes LP. I dunno, I've always prefered it to their second one where I really don't hear any great songs. Aside from the two hits (that's two hits, how many garage rock albums can you say that about?), the first LP has "Bangles," and "Are You Loving Me More But Enjoying It Less." Those may not be great but if a garage rock LP sports four good-to-great songs then it's worthy in my book.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 10 Feb 2009, 10:04

As a relatively new convert to 60s Garage Rock ... I only discovered the Sonics via this board, for which I am eternally greatful :D ... I am watching this thread with interest.

I have the Nuggets Box Set, and whilst there are some great songs on there, there is a hell of a lot of mediocre shite as well. I love the Sonics, and it's that really raw, "punk" feel that I am looking for. Do any of the albums listed already have that kind of sound ?

I'd also be interested in more recent Garage Rock and Garage Punk bands who favour that kind of sound.

Recommendations (and offers of complilations ... *Cough Cough* :D ) greatly accepted. Feel free to PM me.

Ta !! 8-)

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 10 Feb 2009, 10:12

Johnny Fartpants wrote:I have the Nuggets Box Set, and whilst there are some great songs on there, there is a hell of a lot of mediocre shite as well. I love the Sonics, and it's that really raw, "punk" feel that I am looking for. Do any of the albums listed already have that kind of sound ?

The Monks one does. Dunno if you'd like it, tho'.

Try it!

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 10 Feb 2009, 10:21

Sir John Coan wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:I have the Nuggets Box Set, and whilst there are some great songs on there, there is a hell of a lot of mediocre shite as well. I love the Sonics, and it's that really raw, "punk" feel that I am looking for. Do any of the albums listed already have that kind of sound ?

The Monks one does. Dunno if you'd like it, tho'.

Try it!

Thanks for the link John. I just tried it from my work PC but the firewall kicked in, so I'll have to try it later.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 10 Feb 2009, 11:49

From http://www.popmatters.com "The group’s lack of instrumental proficiency actually worked in the album’s favor. Headquarters pulsates with a primitive garage fervor, the joyous sound of four eager musicians taking the wheel after months of riding in the backseat. Douglas’ rough-hewn production—emphasizing flubs and goofs while shunning embellishments—captures this perfectly and is a key component of the album’s appeal.

Then there are the songs. While Nesmith’s southern-fried contributions to the Monkees’ first pair of albums are distinctive and enjoyable, the Texan’s three Headquarters efforts are nothing short of stunning. “You Told Me” kicks off proceedings, exploring adult themes of trust and insecurity to heartrending effect. “You Just May Be the One” boasts a harmony-laden middle-eight that’s as thrilling as anything in the band’s catalogue. And “Sunny Girlfriend” hits a remarkably prescient country-rock groove that should have made Gram Parsons jealous.

But Nesmith wasn’t the only Monkee in the middle of the action. A spirited Dolenz vocal and propulsive drive make Tork’s “For Pete’s Sake” a true highlight, in spite of the track’s hippy-dippy lyrical sentiment. Dolenz’s first and best Monkees composition, “Randy Scouse Git”, closes the album with an onslaught of frenzied choruses and menacing tympani. Douglas even pitched in with “Forget That Girl”, a wistful pop nugget given a tender reading by Jones
."

Billy

Postby Billy » 10 Feb 2009, 11:58

What-- no Shadows of Knight?

1. Light Bulb Blues
2. I Got My Mojo Working
3. Boom Boom
4. Let It Rock
5. Oh Yeah
6. It Always Happens That Way
7. You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover
8. I'm You Hoochie Coochie Man
9. I Just Want To Make Love To You
10. Someone Like Me

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 10 Feb 2009, 12:11

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Feb 2009, 15:08

Johnny Fartpants wrote:As a relatively new convert to 60s Garage Rock ... I only discovered the Sonics via this board, for which I am eternally greatful :D ... I am watching this thread with interest.

I have the Nuggets Box Set, and whilst there are some great songs on there, there is a hell of a lot of mediocre shite as well. I love the Sonics, and it's that really raw, "punk" feel that I am looking for. Do any of the albums listed already have that kind of sound ?

I'd also be interested in more recent Garage Rock and Garage Punk bands who favour that kind of sound.

Recommendations (and offers of complilations ... *Cough Cough* :D ) greatly accepted. Feel free to PM me.

Ta !! 8-)

Well, first off I'll send you to Gearhead Records site. That'll get you going on new stuff for starters.

www.gearheadrecords.com
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Jul 2021, 19:51

Public Nuisance

The Ugly Ducklings

The Litter

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Jul 2021, 20:49

Good call on Public Nuisance. As you probably know they were from Sacramemto. David Houston (far left on cover) has been very active over the years playing and producing others. He morphed into an acoustic act with three cello players which is really cool. He’s a very good songwriter as well.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Yakety Yak”