One for the musos amongst us - Keith Richards

Do talk back
Purgatory Brite

One for the musos amongst us - Keith Richards

Postby Purgatory Brite » 12 Jul 2022, 11:58

In the Keef episode of the BBC2 Rolling Stones documentary, it was mentioned that he often takes off the top string (E) string from his guitars. From the pictures of his guitars, he has only 5 strings on his Telecasters.

Would any guitar players here please explain what the benefits of having 5 strings are for someone with a rudimentary grasp of the instrument.

Deebank
Resonator

Re: One for the musos amongst us - Keith Richards

Postby Deebank » 12 Jul 2022, 12:34

He takes of the low E and tunes to an open G I think. If you barre the strings on any fret with one finger you will get the major chord starting with G at the nut, G sharp on the first fret, A at the second etc.

I guess it suits his style of playing and offers something a bit different to the standard pentatonic stuff. :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 12 Jul 2022, 15:46

Would give you a sharper more cutting rhythm sound, especially on a Telecaster.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Jul 2022, 16:53

I think he or his guitar technician explained it in the programme, but as a non-muso it was a case of in one ear and out the other.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 12 Jul 2022, 17:06

I bet the string broke and Keith never noticed!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Jul 2022, 17:53

Also, there's always a certain amount of energy expended on damping strings not needed in a chord. You don't always want a full six-string chord, you might just play three or four strings, so you dampen some. KR must have realized that he didn't like the sound of that deep E string for the rhythm style he was using, and instead of constantly having to dampen it, he just took it off. Keeps the guitar more out of the bass range too. And he could tune it to a chord, and with much easier fingering, make his major and minor chords and riffs. Obviously didn't miss the greater possibilities of a normal-tuned six-string guitar, so he simplified the instrument to play that specific style he wanted.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 13 Jul 2022, 07:33

Deebank wrote:He takes of the low E and tunes to an open G I think.

As I always understood it, this is the main reason.
He removes the bass E string and tunes the the A string down two semitones to a G and the treble E string down two semitones to a D. This gives him an open tuning the same as a traditional, simple A chord, but two semitones lower, i.e. a G chord.
He could keep the bass E string and lower it two semitones and still have a G chord but when he hits the strings, the first note to sound would be a D and not a G. For some reason, chords sound more impactful; more 'rock'; if you start them on the root note so that's why he removes that string.
Try tuning a guitar like that and then playing it open, followed by an Am7 shape on top. You'll find yourself playing a variety of Stones riffs in no time.
Bugger off.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 14 Jul 2022, 07:35

It is actually because Keith, like all cartoon characters, has a thumb and only three fingers....he can only just manage to play five strings, but could never manage six.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 15 Jul 2022, 06:29

Positive passion wrote:It is actually because Keith, like all cartoon characters, has a thumb and only three fingers....he can only just manage to play five strings, but could never manage six.

Django did OK

And Tony Iommi
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Return to “Yakety Yak”