RIP Alan White

Do talk back
never/ever

RIP Alan White

Postby never/ever » 26 May 2022, 17:31

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4240868684

Very sad to hear the legendary Yes-drummer passed away aged 72 today.
He hasn't been in the best of health for several years now, wasn't scheduled to tour with Yes on the upcoming tour but a brief illness now has taken him.
I met him at CTTE several times, always a kind and generous man, very approachable and a highly professional artist.
RIP.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: RIP Alan White

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 May 2022, 17:34

:cry:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 May 2022, 17:49

Yeah, that is very sad.

Seemed like he was usually compared unfavorably with Bill Bruford, but White was a hell of a drummer and had his own thing happening, and it was a good fit with Yes. (According to legend, when they asked him to join, he had to learn their entire live set in three days!)

Also played fabulously on "Instant Karma!", Imagine (including the title track), and All Things Must Pass, of course.

R.I.P.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 May 2022, 17:53

More meat and potatoes than Bruford to be sure. Then again, Bill is probably the finest progressive rock drummer to ever come out of England.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 26 May 2022, 18:36

Matt Wilson wrote:More meat and potatoes than Bruford to be sure. Then again, Bill is probably the finest progressive rock drummer to ever come out of England.

Can't put it any better, but still sad news

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 May 2022, 18:42

Sad news

A good drummer in his own right

RIP

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 May 2022, 18:55

Friday 10th June
In Memorium 3 - Alan White - album to follow

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 26 May 2022, 19:21

I apologise for my earlier version of this post, which was ill-judged and much more to do with things that were happening off-line at the time. Let's just quote what I said on other forums instead.
'I've no time for Yes - although he wasn't with them when I witnessed them in 1970, it's as a member of that band that he'll be remembered - but this is the man who gave uncle Phil his best Hal Blaine imitation for Instant Karma, and I'll always think warmly of him for that and for the extravagances of air drumming that record inspired among one or two of my mates.
Younger than me, too.
RIP'
Last edited by Rayge on 27 May 2022, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 May 2022, 20:42

Rayge wrote:I don't mean to threadcrap, and I'm generally sorry as ever to hear that someone younger than me - someone I saw play 50-odd years ago - has died, but it's In MemoriAm you semi-literate wazzock.

Not if you are a prog goon sad-fucque

Nay, not if you are a prog goon

MemoriUm

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 26 May 2022, 21:05

I am deeply saddened by the news of his passing. I did think the announcement that he was not participating in Yes' forthcoming tour was ominous.

It was 42 years ago that I first saw him live with Yes. Thanks for the memories!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 May 2022, 21:32

Not meaning to speak ill of the dead, but the last time I saw Yes (when Benoît David was fronting them), both Squire and White were dumbing down a lot of their parts. I assumed it was because they were no longer able to play the original parts as well as they once did. Steve Howe struggled with the "Siberian Khatru" intro lick all three times I saw the band (all in this century).

It happens. None of us are getting any younger. :(

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 May 2022, 23:12

The last times I saw the band (2019) Jay Schellen had already taken over the major drum parts, leaving the less intrinsic parts for Alan to guest drum on. Still was able to use power but a lot of the fills went by the side.
Of course the band has been struggling at parts, that's no secret and no shame either. Geoff Downes can't get the solo for Awaken down pat, Billy Sherwood's bass isn't as crunching as Chris' was but that is because the latter's hands were so big.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

alias the jester

Postby alias the jester » 27 May 2022, 00:45

C wrote:
Rayge wrote:I don't mean to threadcrap, and I'm generally sorry as ever to hear that someone younger than me - someone I saw play 50-odd years ago - has died, but it's In MemoriAm you semi-literate wazzock.

Not if you are a prog goon sad-fucque

Nay, not if you are a prog goon

MemoriUm

Just one letter out.

It's tricky typing the correct letters when you're playing air-mellotron. ;)

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 May 2022, 00:57

John never gets tired of being a douche bag. And he never runs out of aliases to commit his douchery in. ;)

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 27 May 2022, 04:57

Charlie O. wrote:
Also played fabulously on "Instant Karma!", Imagine (including the title track), and All Things Must Pass, of course.

R.I.P.

And the 'Live Peace in Toronto' album I mentioned on the John Lennon thread.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 27 May 2022, 06:36

r.i.p. alan white, who gave me many years of musical pleasure.

kath

Postby kath » 27 May 2022, 06:49

Rayge wrote:I don't mean to threadcrap..., but it's In MemoriAm you semi-literate wazzock.

oh, i don't know, ray.

i'd say that coming into a thread on a musician's death to gripe about the spelling of one latinate word~~including using that as grounds to call someone stupid and illiterate~~is much worse form than the misspelling.

then again, i enjoy misspelling on an informal forum, just to catch up arrogant, pedantic, stick-assed, bilge-swilling, fucquetoplasmic assnauts who are small-minded enough to think they're made superior OR hysterically clever by pointing out the most petty and meaningless of errors.

i'm glad that aint you. cuz that would be a lot like attending a funeral service and loudly griping about the speaker's tie.

badddd fucquin form.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 May 2022, 08:45

Kath!!! I was just wondering where and how you were.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 May 2022, 09:49

kath wrote:
Rayge wrote:I don't mean to threadcrap..., but it's In MemoriAm you semi-literate wazzock.

oh, i don't know, ray.

i'd say that coming into a thread on a musician's death to gripe about the spelling of one latinate word~~including using that as grounds to call someone stupid and illiterate~~is much worse form than the misspelling.

then again, i enjoy misspelling on an informal forum, just to catch up arrogant, pedantic, stick-assed, bilge-swilling, fucquetoplasmic assnauts who are small-minded enough to think they're made superior OR hysterically clever by pointing out the most petty and meaningless of errors.

i'm glad that aint you. cuz that would be a lot like attending a funeral service and loudly griping about the speaker's tie.

badddd fucquin form.

My apologies, kath.
As you may see, I have removed the offending post, apologized and replaced it with one I have put on other music forums.
I didn't come here to 'gripe about the mis-spelling': unfortunately, as someone who spent most of their 'career' sub-editing and proof-reading, I find that sort of thing an eye-hook - rather as I imagine someone who understands music feels when someone is off-key, or hits a bum note, or something, and I reacted more forcibly than I intended and without the humour I usually attempt to inject. It was just a reaction that I would have deleted soon after posting - I usually do this if I have gone over the top, something my neurodivergent nature occasionally leads me to do - but I was called away from the keyboard by a (very minor) domestic crisis just after, and didn't log back in until now, to find I had inadvertently created an uproar.
Just for the record, I am not remotely provoked to 'pedantry' by your spelling style - indeed, I revel in it - have never swilled bilge in my life, and I have a big heart to go with small mind :) .
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

kath

Postby kath » 27 May 2022, 16:04

Rayge wrote:
kath wrote:

oh, i don't know, ray.

badddd fucquin form.

My apologies, kath.
As you may see, I have removed the offending post, apologized and replaced it with one I have put on other music forums.
I didn't come here to 'gripe about the mis-spelling': unfortunately, as someone who spent most of their 'career' sub-editing and proof-reading, I find that sort of thing an eye-hook - rather as I imagine someone who understands music feels when someone is off-key, or hits a bum note, or something, and I reacted more forcibly than I intended and without the humour I usually attempt to inject. It was just a reaction that I would have deleted soon after posting - I usually do this if I have gone over the top, something my neurodivergent nature occasionally leads me to do - but I was called away from the keyboard by a (very minor) domestic crisis just after, and didn't log back in until now, to find I had inadvertently created an uproar.
Just for the record, I am not remotely provoked to 'pedantry' by your spelling style - indeed, I revel in it - have never swilled bilge in my life, and I have a big heart to go with small mind :) .

of course, i understand. as someone who spent her career watching alleged colleagues fail, say, a brilliant, powerful train for a bad paint job on the caboose, i have my own hooklines. i'd be glad to delete my post if you want, although i am rather fond of "bilge-swilling, fucquetoplasmic assnauts."

i hope the crisis is resolved.

::smack::

Return to “Yakety Yak”