Edit a flawed masterpiece

Do talk back
Quaco
F R double E

Re: Edit a flawed masterpiece

Postby Quaco » 20 Jun 2022, 23:32

Matt Wilson wrote:
robertff wrote:My Generation - leave off Daltrey's James Brown impersonation Please Please Please and I'm A Man and replace it with two others - Can't Explain, Anyway, Anyhow.....

I notice that the US version leaves off I'm A Man and replaces it with Instant Party, makes it a better album I think.

I'm not crazy about the other James Brown tune ("I Don't Mind") either. Take both of them off, as well as "I'm a Man" (which they had no business covering after the Yardbirds did it anyway), replace them with "Can't Explain," "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" and "Instant Party" (problem is - that's a 1966 song, and the LP was released in '65), and you have a five-star album.

Byrds - Fifth Dimension

"5D (Fifth Dimension)" (Jim McGuinn) – 2:33
"Wild Mountain Thyme" (traditional, arranged Jim McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke, David Crosby) – 2:30
"Mr. Spaceman" (Jim McGuinn) – 2:09
"I See You" (Jim McGuinn, David Crosby) – 2:38
"What's Happening?!?!" (David Crosby) – 2:35
"I Come and Stand at Every Door" (Nâzım Hikmet) – 3:03 replace with "I Know My Rider (I Know You Rider)" (traditional, arranged Jim McGuinn, Gene Clark, David Crosby) – 2:43

Side two

"Eight Miles High" (Gene Clark, Jim McGuinn, David Crosby) – 3:34
"Hey Joe (Where You Gonna Go)" (Billy Roberts) – 2:17 replace with "Why" [Single Version] (Jim McGuinn, David Crosby) – 2:59
"Captain Soul" (Jim McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke, David Crosby) – 2:53 replace with "Psychodrama City" (David Crosby) – 3:23
"John Riley" (traditional, arranged Jim McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke, David Crosby) – 2:57
"2-4-2 Fox Trot (The Lear Jet Song)" (Jim McGuinn) – 2:12

Voila! Another five-star LP.

Do what you like with "Captain Soul", but hands off "I Come and Stand at Every Door". Truly the heart and soul of the album. One of the strangest and most intense things of the era.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 20 Jun 2022, 23:37

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 21 Jun 2022, 12:13

I just listened to Rubber Soul, and Run For Your Life is a big turd on a satin cushion. It was never one of my favourites but now it sounds shockingly dated. And not in a cute way.

Swap it out for We can Work it Out? I think that would fit the tone of the album while I'm not sure Day Tripper would.

Personally I might boot out Norwegian Wood because I'm fed up with it, but I recognise that wouldn't improve the album in 'objective' terms.
Bugger off.

Return to “Yakety Yak”