Will we ever see another golden age for pop music?

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Will we ever see another golden age for pop music?

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 May 2022, 21:41

AM radio pop, catchy melodies en masse. Things like "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" by Looking Glass. Charts used to be full of them. Now we are lucky if we get a few a year.

Are we running out of tunes? We've had perhaps millions of songs, so it stands to reason that it gets harder to come up with something totally new and original, as time passes.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Will we ever see another golden age for pop music?

Postby naughty boy » 11 May 2022, 00:33

We're living through one.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 12 May 2022, 08:09

OUTPLAY wrote:We're living through one.

Do you really think so? I'm certainly finding more music I'm interested in than I have for decades but I don't see many people agreeing with me.
Bugger off.

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 May 2022, 08:58

My view is that everyone's golden age of music is the one that happens during their most informative years of growing into adulthood before adulthood and all that goes with it takes over. When your children are then going through their informative years there's also an element of spill-over but after that you regress to the music that was important to you.

There are new bands today that I like a lot but basically they are reconstituting the music I liked listening to in my earlier years, most of today's popular music I couldn't care less about.

So today's music is a golden age for some, historically I'm not so sure that it will be thought of as such.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 12 May 2022, 09:09

Rorschach wrote:
OUTPLAY wrote:We're living through one.

Do you really think so? I'm certainly finding more music I'm interested in than I have for decades but I don't see many people agreeing with me.

well...I don't want to be a flag-waver for 6 Music (a lot of their daytime DJs are annoying in the extreme) but since listening to the evening shows I've discovered a LOT of great pop. I suppose it occupies a middle ground between the Ed Sheeran-dominated charts and the uninspiring, 'marginal' lists you see on Pitchfork and the likes.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 May 2022, 09:13

I don't know about formative years. I still like the glam rock, but I dissociated myself from it for a looong time, then I discovered oldies, which for me is the golden age.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 May 2022, 11:27

GoogaMooga wrote:I don't know about formative years. I still like the glam rock, but I dissociated myself from it for a looong time, then I discovered oldies, which for me is the golden age.

Don't we all do that, going back to something we didn't particularly like first time round, reinvestigating it years later and finding out it wasn't quite as bad as we thought it was?

By the way Googa I've got the album with that cover by Looking Glass, bought it at a boot fair years ago for a few pence - think they made a couple. I brought it thinking it might just be something rare and collectible because I hadn't seen it before, turns out it is, but not worth much.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 May 2022, 13:35

robertff wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I don't know about formative years. I still like the glam rock, but I dissociated myself from it for a looong time, then I discovered oldies, which for me is the golden age.

Don't we all do that, going back to something we didn't particularly like first time round, reinvestigating it years later and finding out it wasn't quite as bad as we thought it was?

By the way Googa I've got the album with that cover by Looking Glass, bought it at a boot fair years ago for a few pence - think they made a couple. I brought it thinking it might just be something rare and collectible because I hadn't seen it before, turns out it is, but not worth much.

What I meant was that I was an ardent fan of glam, then dumped it, only to return to it years later. I think I dissociated myself from the glam era because I found the fashion embarrassing later - all the glitter, the make-up, the platform shoes, but of course the music has held up very well.

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 May 2022, 14:34

GoogaMooga wrote:
robertff wrote:

What I meant was that I was an ardent fan of glam, then dumped it, only to return to it years later. I think I dissociated myself from the glam era because I found the fashion embarrassing later - all the glitter, the make-up, the platform shoes, but of course the music has held up very well.

Quite liked a lot of the fashion stuff at the time, the stack heeled boots from Kensington Market, Mr Freedom and Stirling Cooper outfits, didn't do the make-up and glitter though - think Ronnie Wood's look circa Faces 1971/2.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 May 2022, 14:56

I went through two pairs of stack-heeled boots. The second pair had higher heels and were singularly uncomfortable, but I bowed to peer pressure.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 May 2022, 15:44

GoogaMooga wrote:I went through two pairs of stack-heeled boots. The second pair had higher heels and were singularly uncomfortable, but I bowed to peer pressure.

As do most of us sometime in our lives Googa.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2022, 16:35

robertff wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I went through two pairs of stack-heeled boots. The second pair had higher heels and were singularly uncomfortable, but I bowed to peer pressure.

As do most of us sometime in our lives Googa.

It was the first and last time I tried to be fashionable. :D

Return to “Yakety Yak”