Firing round

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Firing round

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Apr 2022, 12:51

I am firing some more. It is almost as fun firing as it is shopping. It gives me great pleasure to get rid of the following:

Siouxsie and the Banshees
Placebo
Huey Lewis and the News
The Lumineers
Starship
AC/DC
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Radiohead (Pablo Honey)
Wade Curtiss & the Rhythm Rockers
Luciano Pavarotti
Shakin' Stevens

With Huey Lewis & the News I am keeping two comps. With Nick Cave I am keeping "Murder Ballads" for the duet with Kylie. Who in their right mind would name their band Placebo? "Once More With Feeling" is the title of their comp. How about firing with some feeling?

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 18 Apr 2022, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Firing round

Postby naughty boy » 18 Apr 2022, 14:47

Why do you say 'firing'? Is it a direct translation from Danish?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Apr 2022, 15:30

OUTPLAY wrote:Why do you say 'firing'? Is it a direct translation from Danish?

No, it's just my own little thing. It sounds a little more colorful.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 18 Apr 2022, 16:47

Well, I'm not too happy about you firing Siouxsie!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Apr 2022, 17:03

slightbreeze wrote:Well, I'm not too happy about you firing Siouxsie!

I wavered a bit with that CD, The Singles, but ultimately I decided to let Siouxsie go also.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Apr 2022, 17:05

"Pablo Honey" has that one killer track, "Creep", but since I got the comp I have no need for the whole album now.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 18 Apr 2022, 17:08

GoogaMooga wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:Well, I'm not too happy about you firing Siouxsie!

I wavered a bit with that CD, The Singles, but ultimately I decided to let Siouxsie go also.

With it being a comp, I'll let you off. You've probably got all their albums anyway ......I mean, you have, haven't you?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Apr 2022, 20:25

More firing:

Al Jolson
Joan Osborne
Jeanette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy

Al Jolson has some good songs, like "Mammy" (I'd walk a million miles just to see you smile"), but I find that blackface gimmick to be offensive and it is very hard to separate the stage persona from the songs.

Joan Osborne had ONE song. Trust me, only one good song. You know the song.

Jeanette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy were Hollywood sweethearts, but their music is too old hat. Even for me.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Apr 2022, 20:41

slightbreeze wrote: You've probably got all their albums anyway ......I mean, you have, haven't you?

Nah... just the comp. ;)

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Apr 2022, 20:44

GoogaMooga wrote:More firing:

Joan Osborne had ONE song. Trust me, only one good song. You know the song.

one pop song plenty of other good songs. Sorry bias my friend is her music director and co writer.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 20 Apr 2022, 23:29

GoogaMooga wrote:With Huey Lewis & the News I am keeping two comps.

Why?

Also, have you not already purported to fire AC/DC?
An ill advised move, one way or another.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 21 Apr 2022, 00:07

I see you're also firing Shakin Stevens and Starship. I'm not so much worried about you firing them, it's why you have them in the first place :? :)

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Apr 2022, 01:32

der Freiherr wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:With Huey Lewis & the News I am keeping two comps.

Why?

Also, have you not already purported to fire AC/DC?
An ill advised move, one way or another.

I think Huey Lewis & the News have a few good singles. Two comps may be a bit excessive, but that is my decision for now.

Yes, I had already sold a bunch of AC/DC albums, but in my new trawl more turned up. I know they are rated highly, like Aussie rock royalty, but whatever pleasure I got out of them is gone. I did give them every chance, amassing something like 20 CD's, including those tasty digipak remasters. All for max 50 pence each.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Apr 2022, 01:34

slightbreeze wrote:I see you're also firing Shakin Stevens and Starship. I'm not so much worried about you firing them, it's why you have them in the first place :? :)

:D Such things would usually be thrift shop purchases at max 50 p a pop. I tried a lot of things which I then got tired of.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 21 Apr 2022, 07:21

GoogaMooga wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:I see you're also firing Shakin Stevens and Starship. I'm not so much worried about you firing them, it's why you have them in the first place :? :)

:D Such things would usually be thrift shop purchases at max 50 p a pop. I tried a lot of things which I then got tired of.

That's a reasonable explanation, but I still think you need to learn about budget control :)

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Apr 2022, 09:57

slightbreeze wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:

That's a reasonable explanation, but I still think you need to learn about budget control :)

Ah, but I trade the unwanted for say 30 - 50 p @, so the loss is minimal. ;) But in other cases, you have got a point. I blow most of my disposable income early in the month.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 May 2022, 06:54

I am firing Norah Jones. For all her awards, I was never really that excited by her. Her music is art fluff, very nice and very boring. Somehow I managed to amass eight albums by her before I decided to get rid of her. Eight albums bought in thrift. I'd never have paid full price anyway. Actually, nine if you count my deluxe of "Feels Like Home".

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 May 2022, 18:00

I didn't even know she MADE 8 albums!
That's incredible!
You're incredible!
8 NORAH JONES ALBUMS.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 May 2022, 19:01

der Freiherr wrote:I didn't even know she MADE 8 albums!
That's incredible!
You're incredible!
8 NORAH JONES ALBUMS.

:lol:

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 May 2022, 06:15

I am getting rid of Portishead! Yes, Portishead. Mercury Music Prize-winning Portishead. Darlings of the critics. But also flavor of the month. Let's face it, they are morose. Not trippin' at all. I don't know why I bought into their schtick back in '95. The lead singer Beth Gibbons sounds like she's crying throughout their third album, appropriately titled "Third". The cover art is as self-indulgent and boring as the album, a capital "P" on a blue background. They were so big, all they had to do was slap a "P" on the cover; the title only appears on the spine. But it is "P" as in pee, p for piss. How did I manage to get five CD's by these posers?

Return to “Yakety Yak”