Firing round

Do talk back
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: Firing round

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 May 2022, 12:50

GoogaMooga wrote:I am getting rid of Portishead! Yes, Portishead. Mercury Music Prize-winning Portishead. Darlings of the critics. But also flavor of the month. Let's face it, they are morose. Not trippin' at all. I don't know why I bought into their schtick back in '95. The lead singer Beth Gibbons sounds like she's crying throughout their third album, appropriately titled "Third". The cover art is as self-indulgent and boring as the album, a capital "P" on a blue background. They were so big, all they had to do was slap a "P" on the cover; the title only appears on the spine. But it is "P" as in pee, p for piss. How did I manage to get five CD's by these posers?

Incorrect.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Artgar

Postby Artgar » 09 May 2022, 13:13

Googa bases his purchasing decisions entirely on cost. If it's 50p 'in thrift', it's coming home.
bingleton

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 May 2022, 13:09

I'm firing Wishful Thinking, Jaco Pastorius, and Billy Vaughn.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 19 May 2022, 13:45

Jack’s quality. Shame on you
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 19 May 2022, 14:06

Re Portishead : Why do I have 3 albums by them? I think it's because people who were serious about music we're "expected" to own them. I, also, own the three studio releases, but, surely, "Glory Box" is the only thing you need by them

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 May 2022, 15:56

I don 't take anybody who has 45 albums by Hansi Last serious.
Bought "Portishead' (full price) when it came out and loved it at first listen, and still do. So I bought Dummy and like it even better, and still do. for me these are brilliant albums. Haven't listened to anything after, dunno if there is more. Don't care much either. Those 2 albums are top notch and I can't imagine they could've improved themselves. Getting rid of gems like this smells of very bad taste.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 May 2022, 16:29

mudshark wrote:I don 't take anybody who has 45 albums by Hansi Last serious.
Bought "Portishead' (full price) when it came out and loved it at first listen, and still do. So I bought Dummy and like it even better, and still do. for me these are brilliant albums. Haven't listened to anything after, dunno if there is more. Don't care much either. Those 2 albums are top notch and I can't imagine they could've improved themselves. Getting rid of gems like this smells of very bad taste.

I don't want you to take me seriously. I am keeping the first two Portishead albums for now; the one I am getting rid of is the third. I've also got Massive Attack, Tricky, Moloko, Morcheeba... oh, and 45 albums by James Last. :twisted:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 19 May 2022, 17:23

What you need to do is collect a large amount of wood , make a large bonfire and chuck all the fucking horrible James Last, Nana Mouskouri, Mantovani and god knows what else you've got stored away onto it.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 May 2022, 19:52

But what about the late, great Ray Conniff?? He's a perennial favourite at BCB, by the looks of it.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 19 May 2022, 20:19

I don't know why you bother with this fella. He does nothing but talk through his arse
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 May 2022, 22:24

Who? Ray Conniff?
A bit harsh, perhaps.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 May 2022, 09:50

I am firing Spyro Gyra and Zhané. Spyro Gyra in particular is very annoying. If you ever wondered why people rag on fusion, put on some Spyro Gyra.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 May 2022, 15:03

What do you think, should I fire Scorpions? Their stock-in-trade was power ballads. "Still Loving You" is the big one, but I am not sure I'm still loving Scorpions. That sort of light metal Def Leppard did far better.

... I think they have to go.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 May 2022, 06:01

I am firing John Denver. I have quite a few CD's by him, but there are only a few songs of his that I'd miss. Most of his songs are cut from the same cloth - plaintive ballads sung with long, drawn-out vowels, as if he were bleating. I might still keep a comp or two for things like "Rocky Mountain High" and "Calypso".

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jun 2022, 12:36

After careful deliberation (well, after having played most of a "Very Best of" comp), I have decided to get rid of Elvis Costello. I am not really enjoying his music any more - in fact, I don't think I was ever overly enthused about him. I just kidded myself into thinking I would like him, that he was the sort of artist that belonged in my collection. Well, to hell with dutiful listening, I don't need him in my life. Give me beautiful over dutiful. He's not a very good singer and his songs sound too spiky, as if he sings in stabs and thrusts. He's got no mojo, no groove whatsoever.

I've got six albums, and they have all got to go:

The Very Best of Elvis Costello
Brutal Youth
Spike
Mighty Like a Rose
The Best of - The First 10 Years
There's also the Bacharach collaboration, "Painted From Memory", that may have to go as well. If I want geek rock, I'll play Buddy Holly.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 Jun 2022, 17:09

Careful Googa, you're giving Coan a hard on over on Skope's forum! You'll have to watch what you post so you don't make his heart go pitter patter.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jun 2022, 18:49

Matt Wilson wrote:Careful Googa, you're giving Coan a hard on over on Skope's forum! You'll have to watch what you post so you don't make his heart go pitter patter.

:lol:

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 02 Jun 2022, 21:21

GoogaMooga wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Careful Googa, you're giving Coan a hard on over on Skope's forum! You'll have to watch what you post so you don't make his heart go pitter patter.

:lol:

Them Sugar and Spike Archives by the great Sheldon Mayer need a place to sit.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 Jun 2022, 21:23

Jimmy thinks he's practicing the fine art of 'piss taking' folks...

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 20 Jun 2022, 23:36

I have no problem with GM's choices in this thread actually. I'd keep a few Elvis Costello albums and maybe an AC/DC album, but I never listen to them so it wouldn't really matter too much.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Yakety Yak”