The Allman Brothers Band

Do talk back
C
Robust

The Allman Brothers Band

Postby C » 02 Jan 2022, 17:40

What a great band they were.

Sadly, I only saw them live once but at least it was with Duane - The Rainbow 1972 (?)

That said they have had so many fantastic guitarists is difficult to say who was 'the best'

Moreover, having split up in 2014 they left a fantastic legacy of seminally robust music.

Forget Johnny Ramone Muddy, this is where it's at. Man

I'm spinning this for the second time on the bounce. Often overlooked. Sadly

Dickey on sole guitar, replete with the lads Chuck Leavell (piano) and Lamar Williams (bass) who weren't around long:

Where do you stand with the lads...?

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: The Allman Brothers Band

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 Jan 2022, 18:11

Duane died in 1971, so you had to have seen them then.

Outstanding band from '69 - '73, intermittently good on LP since then, but great live in almost any era. I quite like some studio cuts from the '90s and early 2000s too.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 02 Jan 2022, 23:39

Matt Wilson wrote:Duane died in 1971, so you had to have seen them then.

Outstanding band from '69 - '73, intermittently good on LP since then.

Most interesting thing since 1973 is Greg Allman's life style choices :)

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 03 Jan 2022, 04:39

Their first 4 studio albums were gems although some duds.
Their live Filmore east album(plus newer released stuff on these sessions) might be my favorite live album

There is no guitar contest in my eyes Duane was the King and all others followed.
Dickey, Warren, Derek Trucks all follow as great guitarists.

I saw them 10 times plus Dickey Betts Band (2 times)
The epic Dickey Betts show of 08/16/78 (Central Park) where he walked off after a few songs only to return with the Allman Brothers is considered their reunion show. Note the Good Rats opened.

Woodstock 94 was my introduction to Warren Haynes who I started following after 94 in his ventures into Govt Mule and bands. Just saw Warren with the Band Moe. making him the artist I've seen with the most bands (15?)
Woodstock 94

While the Allmans to me were a live band after 74 compared to albums. The album "Where It All Begins" has some nice work on it. Also it has Soulshine which I'll put up against some of those epic 70's songs.

Saw several epic Beacon Shows

Farm Aid 07

These days I've been going to the Peach Festival( Greggs festival) that is still going on. Great this past year with a 50 anniversary of the Filmore East tribute with mostly the kids of the original allmans and Jaimoe.

Lovin Betts-Allman Band and Derek's band

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 03 Jan 2022, 07:20

Hightea wrote:I saw them 10 times plus Dickey Betts Band (2 times)
The epic Dickey Betts show of 08/16/78 (Central Park) where he walked off after a few songs only to return with the Allman Brothers is considered their reunion show. Note the Good Rats opened.

I would have LOVED to see that, Good Rats included!

The original band had some amazing mojo on stage, but the line-up with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks isn't far behind. At their best, it feels like they're levitating.

Unfortunately, the ABB hardly ever toured in Europe so the only time I saw them was in 1980 (their worst period, with Mike Lawler pasting thick layers of ugly synth sounds on everything).
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jan 2022, 14:25

Matt Wilson wrote:Duane died in 1971, so you had to have seen them then.

You know Matt - I have just returned to change that to 1971...!

How stupid of me! :oops:

Playing now - a wonderful set:

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Jan 2022, 14:29

Neige wrote:The original band had some amazing mojo on stage, but the line-up with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks isn't far behind. At their best, it feels like they're levitating.

Agreed!

The 90s/00s stuff is very robust to my ears (plus some magnificent live albums)

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 Jan 2022, 00:17

Fantastic band! First album I heard was Wipe the Windows, etc. I fell in love with it at first listen. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed is probably my favourite song by them. I think Dicky Betts was their best song writer. The album came out after the band had broken up and it received a lot of criticism but in my opinion it's a lot better than what it got credit for at the time. Chuck Leavell and Lamar Williams are excellent musicians and fit well in the band. After their stint in the ABB they started Sea Level together with Jaimoe. Their first album is really good.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Jan 2022, 02:51

mudshark wrote:Fantastic band! First album I heard was Wipe the Windows, etc. I fell in love with it at first listen. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed is probably my favourite song by them. I think Dicky Betts was their best song writer. The album came out after the band had broken up and it received a lot of criticism but in my opinion it's a lot better than what it got credit for at the time. Chuck Leavell and Lamar Williams are excellent musicians and fit well in the band. After their stint in the ABB they started Sea Level together with Jaimoe. Their first album is really good.

Agree about that sea level album.

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 04 Jan 2022, 06:48

Hightea wrote:
mudshark wrote:Fantastic band! First album I heard was Wipe the Windows, etc. I fell in love with it at first listen. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed is probably my favourite song by them. I think Dicky Betts was their best song writer. The album came out after the band had broken up and it received a lot of criticism but in my opinion it's a lot better than what it got credit for at the time. Chuck Leavell and Lamar Williams are excellent musicians and fit well in the band. After their stint in the ABB they started Sea Level together with Jaimoe. Their first album is really good.

Me too, but I love their second album (when they became a sextet, a bit like Little Feat), even better.

robertff

Postby robertff » 04 Jan 2022, 11:26

Got quite a few of their earlier albums but I can't remember the last time I played them. They're okay.

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Jan 2022, 18:27

robertff wrote:They're okay.

OKAY...?!

:lol:

I'm playing Wipe the Windows live album to death at the moment

Full of music

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 Jan 2022, 18:34

I did the same thing last night. Still swings like a leaky tit.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Jan 2022, 19:48

If Wipe the Windows is such a good LP, then every single one released before that one was better.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Jan 2022, 20:17

Matt Wilson wrote:If Wipe the Windows is such a good LP, then every single one released before that one was better.

:lol: I have that album too and didn't even mention it basically because the albums before and the live albums after were so much better.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Jan 2022, 20:20

Neige wrote:
Hightea wrote:

Me too, but I love their second album (when they became a sextet, a bit like Little Feat), even better.

damn I think this is the album I was thinking about. First one is good too but this is the album I had.

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 04 Jan 2022, 22:08

Just looked at the cover and noticed they're actually a septet: two drums, two guitars, two keyboards (with Randall Bramblett doubling on soulful vocals and great saxophone) plus Lamar Williams on bass.

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 Jan 2022, 14:15

mudshark wrote:Sea Level

Bandleader Chuck Leavell- "C. Leavell".

Did you see what they did there...?

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 05 Jan 2022, 16:44

Brilliant!
Another one: CNS&Y are actually the first letters of the last names of the 4 members.
What will they come with next?

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 Jan 2022, 17:08

mudshark wrote:Brilliant!
Another one: CNS&Y are actually the first letters of the last names of the 4 members.
What will they come with next?

It's amazing isn't it Muddy?!

I'd only just found out that there were blokes in this pop combo with the surname Allman

Return to “Yakety Yak”