The Seekers California Dreamin' 1966

Do talk back
Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: The Seekers California Dreamin' 1966

Postby Rorschach » 24 Nov 2021, 21:33

GoogaMooga wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Yeah, plus ca change. I know what is BCB friendly and what is not, but the prog/rockist stance only is BORING.

That's just your opinion though. A lot of people find prog and/or rock music very entertaining. In fact so much so that one of them set up this forum specifically to talk about such things.

What is now BCB friendly is a hard thing to fathom, but I've never had the impression that you had even the faintest inkling of what was BCB friendly and what was not in your early years on here.

Oh, I think I knew. Coan made bloody sure I knew. I liked to challenge the canon, and took the blows.

Hang on a minute.
Are you actually saying that you knew what people wanted to talk about, and deliberately flooded the place with other things because you 'liked to challenge the canon''?
And do you go up to groups of football fans, watching a match in a pub and insist on them talking about My Little Pony instead of whether or not the referee's a wanker?

I had you pegged as an innocent person, but you are now claiming that you're actually a selfish arsehole who deliberately pissed people off just because you liked it, and fuck their BORING prog and rockist focus.

And after admitting to deliberately winding people up you play the martyr: the man who 'took the blows'.

Maybe that makes you feel heroic, but that's not the word that occurs to me.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 23:24

I think I am innocent in so far as I did it without malice. I don't resort to name-calling, and in my world, there is no "right" music and "wrong" music, there are just individual preferences. Which is as it should be. Obviously, it is futile to convince my most vocal critics here of this. If you have noticed, I don't jump at every opportunity to atack a thread starter whose taste I don't agree with. I ignore such threads and move on. I will not have all my great music reduced to My Little Pony, so I won't bother with any more threads.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 23:30

And it was not to piss people off; I was saddened and disappointed by those negative and deeply insulting reactions each and every time. I honestly thought I could contribute something different, something of value to me and many other peorple.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 24 Nov 2021, 23:54

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 25 Nov 2021, 07:07

Rorschach wrote:And do you go up to groups of football fans, watching a match in a pub and insist on them talking about My Little Pony instead of whether or not the referee's a wanker?

I do this.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Nov 2021, 08:38

Muskrat wrote:

Aren't you supposed to be able to hear Barry Macguire's vocals in the background on the Mamas and Papas version?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Nov 2021, 08:41

GoogaMooga wrote:I think I am innocent in so far as I did it without malice. I don't resort to name-calling, and in my world, there is no "right" music and "wrong" music, there are just individual preferences. Which is as it should be.

Good response, Googa. If we're sticking to football analogies, "play the ball not the man". I don't think Judith Durham does a good job of this, but that's just my opinion, you're entitled to yours, too.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Nov 2021, 09:39

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

Aren't you supposed to be able to hear Barry Macguire's vocals in the background on the Mamas and Papas version?

You can, in places, once you know it's there. When the record came out, of course, you just assumed that the growly stuff was one of the Papas, if you noticed it at all
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Nov 2021, 09:42

Yeah, I knew about McGuire, but I never listened to pick him out in the mix. What I did not know was that he came first with a recording of the song.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Nov 2021, 09:44

Darkness_Fish wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I think I am innocent in so far as I did it without malice. I don't resort to name-calling, and in my world, there is no "right" music and "wrong" music, there are just individual preferences. Which is as it should be.

Good response, Googa. If we're sticking to football analogies, "play the ball not the man". I don't think Judith Durham does a good job of this, but that's just my opinion, you're entitled to yours, too.

Thanks, Darkness Fish. My first reaction was that she was perfunctory, but I still maintain she has got certain qualities that I don't get elsewhere. At any rate, it's such a strong melody, it's interesting to hear what other artists can come up with. :)

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Nov 2021, 12:43

Re: Judith Durham, this is a cover no more no less, I agree with Matt, why would anyone other than the M&Ps would want to sing this song?

It's the type of cover version you might have heard on one of those Top of the Pops covers records, just don't like it I'm afraid Googa - the M&P's version is definitive in my book.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Nov 2021, 15:11

robertff wrote: the M&P's version is definitive in my book.

As it is in mine, robertff :)

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Nov 2021, 15:40

You all seem to be overlooking the actual definitive version...

Return to “Yakety Yak”