Get Back

Do talk back
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Get Back

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Nov 2021, 16:24

I wonder how many songs he really had though in January of 1969.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 29 Nov 2021, 16:56

Matt Wilson wrote:I wonder how many songs he really had though in January of 1969.

At one point, in the 3rd one I think, he says he has a lot. And both Something and Old Brown Shoe pop up in these docs.

Ringo doesn't say much, but his comment that he wants to go on the roof is the clincher.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 29 Nov 2021, 22:03

Peter Sellers seemed in awe and then out of his comedy depth, making a hasty exit.
The following piece with JL on a stoned roll was great, almost like showing Sellers how comedy is done.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Nov 2021, 22:48

I thought Lennon seemed downright antagonistic to Sellers - like he was challenging him or something.
George mentioned wanting to do a solo album so if he didn't have the songs he must have already bought a crib.
uggy poopy doody.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 29 Nov 2021, 23:59

Well this was some epic stuff, wasn't it? It's pretty obvious that this now becomes a massive part of the Beatle Canon (with Lewisohn and Anthology) and it may be the most satisfying of all those things. There's just so much to digest, big and small, I'm gonna have to watch it a few times (when I'll have time for that, I don't know).

I've never liked Let It Be much, so I've never delved into this aspect of Beatle Lore all that much, but I have to say that this presentation really contextualizes things nicely, and it becomes striking how rudderless they were with Apple and without Brian Epstein. Someone elsewhere has pointed this out, but so obviously insane to move into Twickenham with a camera crew and start working on a new record with an indefinable end point (whether it be a concert or a tv show or whatever) and on a very short schedule dictated by Ringo's acting schedule! It's totally bananas, nobody knows what they're doing and no one seems to have really thought it through. It's particularly insane given Lennon's apparent total lack of interest in doing any homework, and George's reticence about putting forward his own stuff. I'm sure he had been conditioned to be shy with it, and maybe he'd already decided to keep most of it for himself, but he makes a very tepid case for his songs, and only really seems enthusiastic about Old Brown Shoe!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Nov 2021, 00:02

I love "old brown shoe" that's a highlight for me. I like how he's enjoying the piano.
uggy poopy doody.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Nov 2021, 00:14

Sneelock wrote:I love "old brown shoe" that's a highlight for me. I like how he's enjoying the piano.

Yes, it's that sort of thing that will never get old!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Nov 2021, 03:50

der Freiherr wrote:Well this was some epic stuff, wasn't it? It's pretty obvious that this now becomes a massive part of the Beatle Canon (with Lewisohn and Anthology) and it may be the most satisfying of all those things. There's just so much to digest, big and small, I'm gonna have to watch it a few times (when I'll have time for that, I don't know).

I've never liked Let It Be much, so I've never delved into this aspect of Beatle Lore all that much, but I have to say that this presentation really contextualizes things nicely, and it becomes striking how rudderless they were with Apple and without Brian Epstein. Someone elsewhere has pointed this out, but so obviously insane to move into Twickenham with a camera crew and start working on a new record with an indefinable end point (whether it be a concert or a tv show or whatever) and on a very short schedule dictated by Ringo's acting schedule! It's totally bananas, nobody knows what they're doing and no one seems to have really thought it through. It's particularly insane given Lennon's apparent total lack of interest in doing any homework, and George's reticence about putting forward his own stuff. I'm sure he had been conditioned to be shy with it, and maybe he'd already decided to keep most of it for himself, but he makes a very tepid case for his songs, and only really seems enthusiastic about Old Brown Shoe!

They were a bit shit, eh?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 01 Dec 2021, 01:11

Been on Vacation so finally got to see Part 1 today.
Great run thru of She Came In Thru The Bathroom Window.
Commonwealth , Yes!
Amazing footage of Get Back being written. The Pakistani version!
Johns got not a lot material wise, but great to watch.
Poor George, very much pushed aside.
Can’t wait to watch Part 2

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 02 Dec 2021, 00:36

For anyone seeking out a last minute Christmas gift

https://www.redbubble.com/i/mug/Get-Bac ... JLpzquRbm0

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 02 Dec 2021, 02:14

Tom Waits For No One wrote:For anyone seeking out a last minute Christmas gift

https://www.redbubble.com/i/mug/Get-Bac ... JLpzquRbm0

:shock:

I presume you follow @Teatlemania on twitter!?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 02 Dec 2021, 06:55

Let It Tea

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 Dec 2021, 14:30

Rewatching episode one. Everyone talks about how they wouldn't pay attention to George's songs, yet they worked on "All Things Must Pass" for a bit - and it was actually George who couldn't stand "Don't Let Me Down," and complained about it repeatedly.

Watching with subtitles helps.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 02 Dec 2021, 22:54

Matt Wilson wrote:Rewatching episode one. Everyone talks about how they wouldn't pay attention to George's songs, yet they worked on "All Things Must Pass" for a bit - and it was actually George who couldn't stand "Don't Let Me Down," and complained about it repeatedly.

Watching with subtitles helps.

True, plus they seemed to be going for songs that would work live which obviously leans towards more rootsy type rockers like One After 909 and Do'nt Let Me Down etc.
But then again you have slower ballads like Let It Be and The Long and Winding Road ending up on the record along with all the Spectorisms added.

Personally I wish they had worked more on The Palace of the Kind of the Birds, that as sounding great and something quite different for them.

Now if only they had the film crew while making Sgt Pepper !

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 02 Dec 2021, 23:57

From Ian McNabb:

Get Back has the same basic plot as A Hard Day's Night. Concert planned, concert put in jeopardy, alienated member disappears, returns. Police threaten to jeopardise concert, police aren't as threatening as originally thought. Fences mended, concert goes ahead and is a success.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 04 Dec 2021, 13:16

Tom Waits For No One wrote:From Ian McNabb:

Get Back has the same basic plot as A Hard Day's Night. Concert planned, concert put in jeopardy, alienated member disappears, returns. Police threaten to jeopardise concert, police aren't as threatening as originally thought. Fences mended, concert goes ahead and is a success.

:o

Good spot.
Bugger off.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 05 Dec 2021, 16:18

All Things Must Pass as a sort of folky ballad with Paul, John and George all singing harmonies on it would have been bloody lovely and fit in nicely on an album with Two Of Us I reckon.

I always thought Teddy Boy was a bit slight and kind of a throwback. Almost like something Cliff Richard might record but the version on Glyn Johns’ Get Back sounds more like a stoned folk jam and is quite enjoyable. In an ideal world I’d still have Linda’s backing vocals though.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 05 Dec 2021, 16:32

Two of us is the theme tune for a middle class light comedy starring nimmo and briars and should have remained buried.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 05 Dec 2021, 16:59

ChrisChopping wrote:All Things Must Pass as a sort of folky ballad with Paul, John and George all singing harmonies on it would have been bloody lovely and fit in nicely on an album with Two Of Us I reckon.

I always thought Teddy Boy was a bit slight and kind of a throwback. Almost like something Cliff Richard might record but the version on Glyn Johns’ Get Back sounds more like a stoned folk jam and is quite enjoyable. In an ideal world I’d still have Linda’s backing vocals though.

Yes, I agree. I like Teddy Boy on the McCartney record, and Linda's vocals. And, of course, my good feelings for All Things Must Pass need no further elaboration. But in both cases (and in something like "Gimme Some Truth") you can't help but feel that a full Beatle workup with their backing vocals would elevate things considerably.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 05 Dec 2021, 17:24

Yeah, I’d love to hear what bassline Paul would add to Gimme Some Truth too

Return to “Yakety Yak”