33%
stroke of genius
33%

Total votes: 3

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

K.C. and the Sunshine Band

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Sep 2021, 09:03

K.C. and the Sunshine Band were a popular disco group from Miami. Their monster hit from 1975, "That's the Way (I Like It)", is one of the most compiled disco hits of all time, it's EVERYWHERE. I used to like it, even got Clock's modern dance cover. But then my brother told me he hated it, and that killed it for me. It's the stop start chorus with "uh-huh, uh-huh" that gets on my nerves. Unfortunately that song so dominated their catalog, that it is impossible to find a comp without it, and if I spring for individual albums, I'll miss other good stuff. They are a decent enough group; it's just that one song, which happens to be their biggest hit.

Clock's cover version:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Re: K.C. and the Sunshine Band

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Sep 2021, 00:54

I went ahead and voted "stroke of genius" because... what the hell. I hated it when it was a hit but I like it now. Sometimes things work out that way.

Don't know about where you are, but here in the US they had a whole bunch of hits. The one I liked at the time - even bought the 45 - was "I'm Your Boogie Man". Oh, and of course "Boogie Shoes", which was on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

There was actually some decent stuff on their albums, at least the early ones.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: K.C. and the Sunshine Band

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Sep 2021, 04:55

Charlie O. wrote:I went ahead and voted "stroke of genius" because... what the hell. I hated it when it was a hit but I like it now. Sometimes things work out that way.

Don't know about where you are, but here in the US they had a whole bunch of hits. The one I liked at the time - even bought the 45 - was "I'm Your Boogie Man". Oh, and of course "Boogie Shoes", which was on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

There was actually some decent stuff on their albums, at least the early ones.

I don't know how they fared in Denmark in the 70s, but people will probably recognize at least their big one. The other one that I remember much more fondly is "Get Down Tonight".
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”