Tea For The Tillerman 2

Do talk back
Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Tea For The Tillerman 2

Postby Rorschach » 22 Jul 2021, 20:23

Has anyone else listened to this? Wikipedia calls it '"a re-imagining of his hit 1970 album".
I'm not sure that's what I'd call it.

When I first heard of it I thought it was a terrible idea, messing with one of my favourite albums that has also widespread critical acclaim. Leave it alone! It's perfect as it is!
Then I thought about it and decided it was an interesting idea.

Cat Stevens/Yussuf is a thoughtful and intelligent man who has been on a long spiritual journey. The original album was written and performed by a young man who was struggling with fame, his identity and his place in the world and just starting out on that journey. It struck me that it could be interesting to hear an older perspective on some of the things he was expressing at that time. In fact, But I Might Die Tonight and Father and Son seem like perfect opportunities to look back on what he was and reinterpret what he'd said.
Unfortunately, I don't think it worked out that well.

His voice, unsurprisingly, isn't what it was, but that could work in his favour by suggesting age and vulnerability. But then you listen to the first track, Where do the Children Play, and you think: 'What's the point?' It's a little more delicate than the original and gets a bit dramatic towards the end, but otherwise it's just a bunch of decent musicians doing a cover version with the original singer who isn't all that any more. It's a bit like one of those 'best of' CDs I used to keep buying by accident and, when you get them, you notice the small print that uses words like 'rerecording' and 'one original member'.
It's a great song and this version nice enough but it's not as good as the original and it just seems pointless.

Hard Headed Woman is another straight run through but somewhat passionless, as if it doesn't mean anything to him any more.

Wild World is different! I mean it sounds like a different song. He's turned it into a sort of vamp and it's actually fun. It doesn't bear a lot of listenings though.

The beautiful Sad Lisa is still quite lovely but, again, there's no 'reimagining' going on. You know that lovely piano bit when he sings 'trickling rain'? It's in this version too.
Miles From Nowhere tries to rock out occasionally but fails embarrassingly. And hugely disappointingly, I Might Die Tonight tries to get epic and just falls flat. Longer Boats is weird. It starts off pretty much identical to the original then cuts to what sounds like a bit of 'found' monologue and then gets all chanty. In fact the rhythm gets a bit reggae and I wonder if he was trying to do toasting. Whatever, it sounds rather silly. I'd say the same for Into White as I did for Sad Lisa.

On the Road to Find Out is the second track to sound different and, again, I think it works. Sort of. It settles quickly into a stoned bluesy groove but then goes on too long. Some people like that sort of indulgence so it's probably not bad for everyone.

And, finally, he nearly does what I was hoping he'd do.
Father and Son doesn't have a particularly different arrangement but he sounds different. The original version to me sounds like it's the son singing both parts of the song. Now it sounds like it's the dad. The voice is kinder and wiser. He understands that it's hard for the son to understand and he's not badgering him, just telling him his truth.
Sadly, there's an instrumental interlude with Mantovani strings which kills the mood a bit. In fact, this song is a bit tragic for me in that it hints at what might have been.
But isn't.

Nice video though.

The track, Tea For The Tillerman itself isn't reimagined either.

So, mostly a waste of everyone's time but it's not terrible. I more or less enjoyed listening to it but I won't be bothering to go back to it in a hurry.
Bugger off.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Tea For The Tillerman 2

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 22 Jul 2021, 22:52

I didn't bother and don't think I will now.

I'll keep the original in my mind as a wonderful record. Amen.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 23 Jul 2021, 00:13

I have nothing to add - I'm with you
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Six String

Postby Six String » 23 Jul 2021, 02:34

Yes, pretty pointless. I’m surprised Grohl didn’t think of it first.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 23 Jul 2021, 10:35

I bought "Matthew and son" when it was first released, and that's all I own by him. Think I have a lot of catching up before I reach "Tea for the Tillerman 2"

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 23 Jul 2021, 11:03

slightbreeze wrote:I bought "Matthew and son" when it was first released, and that's all I own by him. Think I have a lot of catching up before I reach "Tea for the Tillerman 2"

I doubt you'd make it that far if you were to go through the whole lot in order. But I and other people here all recommend the original album very highly.
Bugger off.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Jul 2021, 12:18

Dave Mason did a similar thing with his debut album.

[He even shot the cover photo in the same place!]

One of my fave albums of all time. Apparently he prefers his voice more now than then...!!

No thank you

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

robertff

Postby robertff » 23 Jul 2021, 12:25

Not much a fan but does seem odd to do a no. 2 version. Pretty sure I’ve got it on a format somewhere, not one I play very often if at all. I like some of his hits especially Lady D’Arbanville.

Came across his first two albums in almost mint condition at a boot fair some years ago, cost me a few pennies.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 23 Jul 2021, 12:26

C wrote:Dave Mason did a similar thing with his debut album.

One of my fave albums of all time. Apparently he prefers his voice more now than then...!!

No thank you

You expressed interest in Tea For The Tillerman 2 when you did the sync listen for the original album last year. Did you ever get round to listening to it?
Bugger off.

robertff

Postby robertff » 23 Jul 2021, 12:26

C wrote:Dave Mason did a similar thing with his debut album.

No thank you

Good grief!

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Jul 2021, 16:43

Rorschach wrote:You expressed interest in Tea For The Tillerman 2 when you did the sync listen for the original album last year. Did you ever get round to listening to it?

No

Others were more keen then one

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 31 Jul 2021, 14:54

Well, there's a thing!

As I listened to this album on Spotify, it keeps putting tracks from it into my daily playlists. I was skipping them but then I just let Sad Lisa play out.

It really was beautiful. I think his voice actually works better on this version!

If anyone fancies giving it a listen and letting me know what they think, I'd be very grateful.
Bugger off.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 31 Jul 2021, 17:23

Well, I’m giving the new Sad Lisa a go. His voice has aged obviously. I don’t like some of the keyboard sounds. But the acoustic guitar and strings were good.

Then I played the original, which I own. The original is far superior imho. Better piano, much better singing, a pleasant violin solo and sympathetic string arrangement.
“Erratic associate member”

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 03 Aug 2021, 12:17

Neil Jung wrote:Well, I’m giving the new Sad Lisa a go. His voice has aged obviously. I don’t like some of the keyboard sounds. But the acoustic guitar and strings were good.

Then I played the original, which I own. The original is far superior imho. Better piano, much better singing, a pleasant violin solo and sympathetic string arrangement.

Fair enough. I'm in two minds. I think I may prefer the singing on the new version. I know his voice isn't as good but I just think he sings it better. It feels to me like he understands and feels the song much better now.
Bugger off.

Return to “Yakety Yak”