Re: PSL: Fairport Convention, Friday 16th July @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 16 Jul 2021, 21:36

Six String wrote:Tam Lin is a corker!

ya ya ya

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jul 2021, 21:36

Carlsson wrote:I would like to play the Sandy lead vocals version of Pat Spens which is the extra after Crazy Man Michael

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 16 Jul 2021, 21:37

Six String wrote:Tam Lin is a corker!

Beat me to it!

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 16 Jul 2021, 21:37

Carlsson wrote:
Carlsson wrote:I would like to play the Sandy lead vocals version of Pat Spens which is the extra after Crazy Man Michael

I'm in.

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jul 2021, 21:37

Swarb was untouchable - wasn't he?

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jul 2021, 21:38

John aka Josh wrote:
Carlsson wrote:

I'm in.

Good lad

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 16 Jul 2021, 21:39

Carlsson wrote:

whenever we did full house, i yapped about how i first read the ballad of sir patrick spens in a brit lit class. had no clue about the actual song, mwhaha. but y'all know how medieval my warped heart is, eke

kath

Postby kath » 16 Jul 2021, 21:39

Carlsson wrote:Swarb was untouchable - wasn't he?

fantastic

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jul 2021, 21:40

Of the original songs, "Come All Ye" is in the character of a traditional "calling-on song" (as used, for example, by sword dancers, to introduce the members of the side, with their characteristics). "Farewell, Farewell" and "Crazy Man Michael", both with lyrics penned by Thompson, are more obscure in meaning but have been sometimes linked to events surrounding the fatal crash of some months before: the line "will you never cut the cloth" from "Farewell, Farewell" has been suggested to refer to Thompson's then girlfriend Jeannie Franklyn ("Jeannie the Tailor"), killed in the accident, while the crazed protagonist of "Crazy Man Michael", destined to wander the world with guilt for accidentally killing his true love, has been linked to the same event by Thompson himself. Thompson has reportedly never performed these songs himself in concert.

Last edited by C on 16 Jul 2021, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

kath

Postby kath » 16 Jul 2021, 21:41

les, ya finding it on youtube?

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 16 Jul 2021, 21:42

Carlsson wrote:
Of the original songs, "Come All Ye" is in the character of a traditional "calling-on song" (as used, for example, by sword dancers, to introduce the members of the side, with their characteristics). "Farewell, Farewell" and "Crazy Man Michael", both with lyrics penned by Thompson, are more obscure in meaning but have been sometimes linked to events surrounding the fatal crash of some months before: the line "will you never cut the cloth" from "Farewell, Farewell" has been suggested to refer to Thompson's then girlfriend Jeannie Franklyn ("Jeannie the Tailor"), killed in the accident, while the crazed protagonist of "Crazy Man Michael", destined to wander the world with guilt for accidentally killing his true love, has been linked to the same event by Thompson himself. Thompson has reportedly never performed these songs himself in concert.

Adds a good deal of poignancy.

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jul 2021, 21:42

kath wrote:les, ya finding it on youtube?

Oh, that's a point.

Hopefully

:(

kath

Postby kath » 16 Jul 2021, 21:42

Carlsson wrote:

wow

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jul 2021, 21:42

kath wrote:les, ya finding it on youtube?

Yes. I had to google the song specifically.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jul 2021, 21:43

John aka Josh wrote:
Carlsson wrote:

Adds a good deal of poignancy.

Indeed

I didn't know that

I have live versions but not with Richard in the line-up

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jul 2021, 21:44

I don't think it is good as the Full House version but it is robust nonetheless and Sandy sings it beautifully

kath

Postby kath » 16 Jul 2021, 21:44

aint it funny... i listen to this song, and i can still see the font on the page from where i first read the lyrics.

kath

Postby kath » 16 Jul 2021, 21:45

Carlsson wrote:I don't think it is good as the Full House version but it is robust nonetheless and Sandy sings it beautifully

agreed.

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jul 2021, 21:45

I like the drums on this version.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Yakety Yak”