Rick Laird RIP

Do talk back
C
Robust

Rick Laird RIP

Postby C » 05 Jul 2021, 12:36

Irish bassist who was best known for being a member of the Mahavishnu Orchestra

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Spock!

Re: Rick Laird RIP

Postby Spock! » 05 Jul 2021, 23:32

Was house bassist at Ronnie Scott's circa '65 & '66 and played with many visiting greats - Sonny Rollins, Herbie Hancock, Sonny Stitt & Roland Rahsaan Kirk amongst others.

Now playing Clive Steven's Atmospheres, a fab album which features Rick & Billy Cobham, Ralph Towner, Steve Khan and John Abercrombie with some excellent playing.

RIP Rick.

C
Robust

Re: Rick Laird RIP

Postby C » 06 Jul 2021, 11:15

John aka Josh wrote:Now playing Clive Steven's Atmospheres, a fab album which features Rick & Billy Cobham, Ralph Towner, Steve Khan and John Abercrombie with some excellent playing.

I bought the debut Atmospheres album in the mid 70s at the same time as a few other 'jazz' albums by Joachim Kühn [piano], Chris Hinze [flute] and Ryo Kawasaki [guitar]

It is most excellent.

I think this may be one of those albums that changed nomenclature when it appeared on CD forty years after its original release!

Like 2nd Vision's First Steps that became Ric Sanders & John Etheridge 2nd Vision when it appeared on CD and Ric, in particular, was more well known [Soft Machine & Fairport Convention]

I don't recall the Chris Stevens & Friends on the the original cover and I think it was just Atmospheres by Atmospheres with a sticker listing the mob playing on it.

I may be wrong though so, if so, I stand corrected

Putting that aside RIP Rick a very solid and technically apt bassist

Meeting of the Spirits...

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Return to “Yakety Yak”