NOW DITCHING

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

NOW DITCHING

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jun 2021, 13:11

Hello! And welcome to a new ongoing thread, "NOW DITCHING", a thread inspired by the popular "NOW PLAYING"... ! Here you can post anything you have decided to get rid of, either because you can't stand it anymore or you are bored with it, or whatever. I am sure most longtime collectors have regular purges, and that's apart from the inevitable mistakes you make or disappoints that come your way.

Okay, I'll open the ball with - Prodigy!

"Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned"
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: NOW DITCHING

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jun 2021, 13:16

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 Jun 2021, 13:45

Good choice!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Jun 2021, 13:52

OUTPLAY wrote:Good choice!

Yes, keep going!!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jun 2021, 15:22

Blind purchase:

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jun 2021, 15:26

Never thought I'd ditch this troubadour:

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jun 2021, 18:34

So sorry to let a Decca mono CD go; the vocals are terrible.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 25 Jun 2021, 22:05

GoogaMooga wrote:Image

Not my thing but this seems much better than the others you are ditching.
As a kid I was told to listen to the JT Aqualung & Thick As A Brick albums and leave it at that.
Advice which was probably for the best.
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jun 2021, 01:18

I haven't heard Thick as a Brick, but I own Aqualung (in Deluxe, I think), and that may very well be the one that I keep.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Jun 2021, 01:33

Philistines, Living in the Past is a classic.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jun 2021, 06:37

Matt Wilson wrote:Philistines, Living in the Past is a classic.

Never took you for a progger, Matt. Oh well... What sets "Aqualung" apart is that it rocks. Most of Tull's work is laborious and plodding. You can play their crusty prog during lone walks in the forest, looking for elfin friends. :P

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Jun 2021, 16:07

GoogaMooga wrote:

Never took you for a progger, Matt. Oh well... What sets "Aqualung" apart is that it rocks. Most of Tull's work is laborious and plodding. You can play their crusty prog during lone walks in the forest, looking for elfin friends. :P

There's not even that much prog on the compilation. It's rather a celebration of 45s, EP cuts, and the occasional LP track with two dodgy live songs thrown in to ruin the perfection. If you've already gotten rid of it then there's nothing to be done, but if you haven't - give it a spin again with fresh ears.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jun 2021, 17:27

Matt Wilson wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:

There's not even that much prog on the compilation. It's rather a celebration of 45s, EP cuts, and the occasional LP track with two dodgy live songs thrown in to ruin the perfection. If you've already gotten rid of it then there's nothing to be done, but if you haven't - give it a spin again with fresh ears.

Okay, I'll do that. The big trade won't be before next month.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 26 Jun 2021, 23:40

GoogaMooga wrote:I haven't heard Thick as a Brick, but I own Aqualung (in Deluxe, I think), and that may very well be the one that I keep.

I probably haven't listened to JT in 40 years, not considering them my thing, but after I posted on this thread last night I listened to TAAB and then the 2cd 2011 40th Anniv. Steven Wilson Remix of Aqualung on Spotify.
TAAB was pretty good if a little too indulgent in places but Aqualung was a revelation. Really enjoyed both discs in the 2 disc set and Wilson's mix was much clearer than I recalled the original being.
You really should keep LITP but the other albums you posted look real dross.
What else are you considering ditching?
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses

As if i give a fuck

At best i think they suck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jun 2021, 23:47

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:What else are you considering ditching?

I've already culled a lot, but my intention is to record future discards here.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 27 Jun 2021, 05:32

I've been selling off cd's and records I've decided I'm not going to listen to again for the past couple of years, mainly on Discogs. Some of the latest sales:

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Jun 2021, 13:35

Normally I quite like salsa, but this crapfest from Disky is decidedly downmarket, bargain basement, petrol station. When you don't recognize a single name on a comp, you can almost be sure of a let-down. Amazon.co.uk has a copy for 58 pence.

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 27 Jun 2021, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Jun 2021, 17:07

GoogaMooga wrote:Normally I quite like salsa, but this crapfest from Disky is decidedly downmarket, bargain basment, petrol station. When you don't recognize a single name on a comp, you can almost be sure of a let-down. Amazon.co.uk has a copy for 58 pence.

That’s weird. Looking at the cover, you would just assume the contents were fantastic.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 27 Jun 2021, 17:14

:lol:
Who would have thought ?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Jun 2021, 17:30

Latin comps can be very tricky and should not be the domain of petrol station labels like Disky. But yes, I bought this one just as much for the cover, hoping for something good.

Return to “Yakety Yak”