You are let loose in a well-stocked CD shop...

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

You are let loose in a well-stocked CD shop...

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jun 2021, 08:26

You are let loose in a well-stocked CD shop and you are getting ready for a nice, good old-fashioned browse. Which section do you head for first, and what other sections do you check, in descending order?

My priorities:

1. Latin
2. Now Sound (Easy, Lounge, Exotica, etc.)
3. Reggae
4. R&B/Soul
5. Rock/Pop
6. Country
7. Jazz
8. Blues
9. Brazil
10. World

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Re: You are let loose in a well-stocked CD shop...

Postby robertff » 09 Jun 2021, 09:17

Rock 'n' Pop and all that entails
Blues
Jazz
Soul

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 09 Jun 2021, 09:29

Gregorian Chants
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 09 Jun 2021, 09:42

There are no more well stocked cd shops that carry that kind of diversity. Maybe in Tokio.

It is with regret and nostalgia that I think back to the Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street. Or the HMV mega store. For a little while even FOPP had their own mega on Shaftesbury Avenue but I got to visit only once there before they shut down.

But:

Artists A-Z
Country
Blues
Soul
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jun 2021, 09:49

There must be a few surviving second hand shops that are well-stocked. How about Beano's in the UK?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 Jun 2021, 11:01

Timmy top
Barand
Fume band
Rick-rock
Paralat
Himbando
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jun 2021, 11:07

OUTPLAY wrote:Timmy top
Barand
Fume band
Rick-rock
Paralat
Himbando

I never had you down as a Paralat fan.
Bugger off.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Jun 2021, 11:11

Just the 40s stuff with Bebs Harper and all that crowd. It got silly once Fayne McGee was involved.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jun 2021, 11:19

OUTPLAY wrote:Timmy top
Barand
Fume band
Rick-rock
Paralat
Himbando

You could have a nice sideline thinking up names for new bands, artists, genres. If any band is stumped for a name, we should refer them to "Outplay".

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Jun 2021, 11:25

or 'Boogaloo'!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jun 2021, 11:28

We're taking it over, baby
The Latin Boogaloo !

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Jun 2021, 13:12

GoogaMooga wrote:You are let loose in a well-stocked CD shop and you are getting ready for a nice, good old-fashioned browse. Which section do you head for first, and what other sections do you check, in descending order?

If they are simple minded enough to have separate sections based on genres they do not deserve my money. I spit on the floor and leave.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Jun 2021, 13:48

der Freiherr wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:You are let loose in a well-stocked CD shop and you are getting ready for a nice, good old-fashioned browse. Which section do you head for first, and what other sections do you check, in descending order?

If they are simple minded enough to have separate sections based on genres they do not deserve my money. I spit on the floor and leave.

If they don't have some sort of cataloguing system in genres that's when I leave, literally.

I can't be bothered looking through the entire stock of a shop just to find something I might be interested in, even if it is simply organised alphabetically. I don't want to look through masses of stuff that I'm not remotely interested in buying.

I've been in a number of well stocked record shops without any kind of genre sectioning and simply had to walk out after a short while browsing, two shops come to mind immediately. When the owner of the shop doesn't even know what they've got and where they've got it, what's the point? Life's too short, I'd rather go to where I know I am going to find stuff that I might be interested in, spend the time looking and move on.

I'm guessing from what you have implied above all your own music must be stored haphazardly with no sense of organisation or is it?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Jun 2021, 13:53

robertff wrote:I'm guessing from what you have implied above all your own music must be stored haphazardly with no sense of organisation or is it?

On the contrary. It's alphabetical. That way I can find what I want to listen to immediately. If I want to listen to ZZ Top I go to the Z's, if I want to hear ZZ Hill I go to the H's, if I want to hear Alice Coltrane I got to the C's.

What sort of soft minded dullard finds themselves "in the mood" for some ill defined "genre" and must peruse a selection of "northern soul" or "post-war blues" or "progressive" before settling on what they want? I'll tell you, the type who is not worthy of my time or regard! What a fucking world.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Jun 2021, 14:22

der Freiherr wrote:
robertff wrote:I'm guessing from what you have implied above all your own music must be stored haphazardly with no sense of organisation or is it?

On the contrary. It's alphabetical. That way I can find what I want to listen to immediately. If I want to listen to ZZ Top I go to the Z's, if I want to hear ZZ Hill I go to the H's, if I want to hear Alice Coltrane I got to the C's.

What sort of soft minded dullard finds themselves "in the mood" for some ill defined "genre" and must peruse a selection of "northern soul" or "post-war blues" or "progressive" before settling on what they want? I'll tell you, the type who is not worthy of my time or regard! What a fucking world.

Firstly, I don't regard myself as a 'soft minded dullard' simply because I know what I like and want to know where to find it.

Secondly 'in the mood' what does that mean? I have a taste in music which may be narrow compared to your obviously ubiquitous taste but as I have already stated I know what I like, it has nothing to do with mood. I have friends whose taste in music is much narrower that mine and I wouldn't dream of attempting to demean their taste by calling them soft minded dullards, they are in fact far from that.

Finally, I guess you won't want to reply as I am clearly 'not worthy of your time or regard'. However, I do completely agree with your final statement.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 09 Jun 2021, 14:23

der Freiherr wrote:

:lol:

I am just happy to have a good old fashioned browse in a fully stocked record store and run gleefully from the rock/pop section to the reggae section where I fire up a Camberwell Carrot then stumble over to country where I have a long necked ice cold beer and continue to drown my sorrows in the blues category!

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jun 2021, 15:48

der Freiherr wrote:

Where's the Captain Beefheart?

At one time, on my shelf I had my Burning Spear hard up agains Kate Bush, which was followed by the Butthole Surfers.

Amused me for weeks that did.
Bugger off.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Jun 2021, 15:54

Rorschach wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:

Where's the Captain Beefheart?

Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band is the name of a band, group, or ensemble, so it is in C, just as Marshall Tucker Band is in M.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Jun 2021, 15:55

Mike Boom wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:

:lol:

I am just happy to have a good old fashioned browse in a fully stocked record store and run gleefully from the rock/pop section to the reggae section where I fire up a Camberwell Carrot then stumble over to country where I have a long necked ice cold beer and continue to drown my sorrows in the blues category!

That's a plan I can live with. I would definitely start in reggae!

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 09 Jun 2021, 16:21

All records should be ordered by price!

Return to “Yakety Yak”