The Great Synth Bands of the 1980s

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: The Great Synth Bands of the 1980s

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Jun 2021, 21:53

Charmaine
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Jun 2021, 22:00

He didn't write that..

Anyway maybe put up a poll?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Jun 2021, 22:01

never/ever wrote:He didn't write that..

Anyway maybe put up a poll?

Did he write anything?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Jun 2021, 22:02

Who cares? He was shit.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Jun 2021, 22:08

Front 242
Eyeless in Gaza
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Jun 2021, 22:36

I could happily live without either Simple Minds or Mantovani, but if I come across a Mantovani comp on a good label, I'll plonk down my 50 pence. Mantovani may be a minor player in the Easy Listening realm, but at least he had a distinct sound, as all great Easy Listening orchestra leaders do. Mantovani made his string arrangements sound like "a thousand strings", and a track like his signature, "Charmaine", is perfect for closing time at Tower, it will send the customers home with a sedate smile on their face. :)

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Jun 2021, 22:44

New Order would get my vote.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Jun 2021, 03:35

Gary Numan/Tubeway Army
Yaz
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 09 Jun 2021, 05:31

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
ConnyOlivetti wrote:Twice a Man

I meant no 80's synth bands.

Those from the 70's, now that's another matter.

Why do you quote me ?
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 09 Jun 2021, 05:42

slightbreeze wrote:The Pet Shop Boys.... brilliant tunes, brilliant lyrics. Soft Cell second. OMD? Andy's voice is appalling. Saw them Liverpool Empire mid 80's. One of the worst concerts I've ever seen.....and I've seen some bad ones

I saw them there then too -probably 86 or 87- and thought they were brilliant!

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jun 2021, 07:36

Pet Shop Boys by miles for me. I admit I've never made it all the way through an album but I think they're one of the great singles bands.

And they've still got it! This from 2019:

Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jun 2021, 08:14

I am changing my vote to Pet Shop Boys. Upon reflection, I think they were the best, although I only really remember the hits.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jun 2021, 08:52

I can't really think of New Order as a synth band. Human League would be my answer.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Jun 2021, 09:29

The Modernist wrote:I can't really think of New Order as a synth band. Human League would be my answer.

They were my first thought too (NO) and then I thought not really a synth band as such (by their own various accounts they have synth / drum machine songs and 'acoustic' numbers in equal measure) . You could say the same about Duran Duran and Simple Minds (and others) too of course.

On the subject of New Order and synthesizers, I was going to start a thread on the Solina String Synthesizer, as featured on many JD and early NO songs - they (and Martin Hannett) really wrung every drop of usuage out this primitive polyphonic keyboard. It is the sound of all the JD synth-led tracks: Isolation, Atmosphere, LWTUA, Decades; as well as featuring on a bunch of early NO tunes but especially Procession. I would assume they chose it because Bowie used one extensively in his Berlin period (esp on the song Sound & Vision) but they really made it their own and hats off to Hannett for making this quite ropey sounding thing sound orchestral!

Anyway, I digress...

I downloaded a couple of Ultravox tunes the other day (The Voice and Reap The Wild Wind) Quite good. :|
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Jun 2021, 14:34

Positive Passion wrote:I have seen all three live, and although HL have higher highs, OMD are more consistent.

Agreed

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Jun 2021, 15:31

Deebank wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I can't really think of New Order as a synth band. Human League would be my answer.

They were my first thought too (NO) and then I thought not really a synth band as such (by their own various accounts they have synth / drum machine songs and 'acoustic' numbers in equal measure) . You could say the same about Duran Duran and Simple Minds (and others) too of course.

On the subject of New Order and synthesizers, I was going to start a thread on the Solina String Synthesizer, as featured on many JD and early NO songs - they (and Martin Hannett) really wrung every drop of usuage out this primitive polyphonic keyboard. It is the sound of all the JD synth-led tracks: Isolation, Atmosphere, LWTUA, Decades; as well as featuring on a bunch of early NO tunes but especially Procession. I would assume they chose it because Bowie used one extensively in his Berlin period (esp on the song Sound & Vision) but they really made it their own and hats off to Hannett for making this quite ropey sounding thing sound orchestral!

Anyway, I digress...

I downloaded a couple of Ultravox tunes the other day (The Voice and Reap The Wild Wind) Quite good. :|

WRONG ULTRAVOX

Proceed.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Jun 2021, 16:59

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Anyway, I digress...

WRONG ULTRAVOX

Proceed.

I think I got Vienna as well :)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Jun 2021, 17:01

:x
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 10 Jun 2021, 15:15

I was going to offer up Yello, but see they formed in 1979.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 10 Jun 2021, 17:04

I don't like any band as much as Rupert Hine's trio of albums on A&M (1981-1983)
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Return to “Yakety Yak”