Damien Jurado

Do talk back
Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Damien Jurado

Postby Rorschach » 16 May 2021, 18:43

Are there any fans here?

Two years ago, I'd never heard of him but a friend who had a ticket to see him perform at an intimate type venue fell ill and gave me her ticket. I enjoyed the show; there was a great atmosphere, he was funny and he and the other guitarist put on a fine display of singing and playing. But, because I wasn't familiar with the material I didn't get as much out of it as I might have done.
Since then, I've listened to bits and bobs and this week decided to give his new album, The Monster Who Hated Pennsylvania, a good listen. On first hearing is seemed a bit like just more of the same, but on second listen it's really growing on me.

Anyone more familiar with his stuff? I want to investigate him more and I'd really appreciate some guidance as to standout tracks and what albums to listen to next.

Opening track from the new album:

Bugger off.

mudshark

Re: Damien Jurado

Postby mudshark » 16 May 2021, 18:48

Thanks buddy. Never heard of him but that track ain't half bad. I'll check him out some more.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 May 2021, 18:53

mudshark wrote:Thanks buddy. Never heard of him but that track ain't half bad. I'll check him out some more.

Excellent. If you do like him there's a big back-catalogue to plough through. He's been going for 25 years.
Bugger off.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 May 2021, 22:25

Only know him by name so can't help you there.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 18 May 2021, 23:21

I'm something of a fan. I discovered him when I was on holiday in Oregon around 2000. The early Ghost Of David is my personal favourite of the albums I own and if you like melancholy, you're in luck.

The consistency across his albums is remarkable. The recent The Horizon Just Laughed is another very strong set but as far as I can tell are no stinkers, or anything even close to one among his 16+ albums.

The two tracks about are somewhat minimalist but there bigger productions to be found across his work. A.M. AM is from Visions of us On the Land, the third part of a trilogy of albums produced by Richard Swift.

Damien Jurado is one of those artists who slowly sneak up on you and I'm glad that he did.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 19 May 2021, 06:50

Carlisle Wheeling wrote:
Damien Jurado is one of those artists who slowly sneak up on you and I'm glad that he did.

Thank you very much!

A friend who is a big fan has made a Spotify playlist for me so I'll add these three to it, if they're not already there.

I'm getting the impression that his quality is remarkably consistent. I still feel that he's a bit samey but that's probably to be expected with someone who's new to me. You tend to notice the similarities before you notice the differences. And I haven't come across a single track that I dislike.
Bugger off.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 19 May 2021, 09:13

Also only knew him by name and never knowingly heard anything - good old Ced's a big fan, I think.

Not so sure about the arrangement on A.M.AM, but the more intimate tracks are very nice indeed, and I love the new one Tym posted in the OP
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

phurley

Postby phurley » 31 May 2021, 19:45

Hi Carlisle Wheeling Please send an email to me or Hans at [email protected] We do the Townes van Zandt archives and the Blue Sky page runned by Len Coop ,Our site started in the 1990ties and we had already more then 50000 visitors. Hans made the excellent TVZ timeline .Patrick Hurley Len Coop and Hans Golverdingen >

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 01 Jun 2021, 09:16

Well, this thread's taken an odd turn.
Bugger off.

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 01 Jun 2021, 19:33

Have you heard any Bill Callahan? If you like this, I think you'll like him. Personal faves are 'Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle' and 'Dream River' but that's maybe because they were the ones that I first got into.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 02 Jun 2021, 08:02

Fireplug wrote:Have you heard any Bill Callahan? If you like this, I think you'll like him. Personal faves are 'Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle' and 'Dream River' but that's maybe because they were the ones that I first got into.

Yes I have and yes I do. I've been enjoying his recent collaborations with Bonnie Prince Billy as well. He was hard to avoid in 2019; got Mojo's album of the year I seem to remember.
We should have a thread about him some time.
Bugger off.

Return to “Yakety Yak”