Do we feel any sort of nostalgia for the 1990s?

Do talk back
Deebank
Resonator

Re: Spare Me

Postby Deebank » 09 May 2021, 13:34

Samoan wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Yes, as Norman Cook.

Yes, we all know his names.

Quentin?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Six String

Re: Do we feel any sort of nostalgia for the 1990s?

Postby Six String » 09 May 2021, 16:46

I have no nostalgia for the 90s but it still surprises me when I realise we’re now talking 30 years ago. :o
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 May 2021, 17:37

Samoan wrote:Cornershop's Brimful of Asha is atrocious as is Baby Bird's You're Gorgeous which was also well known for it's questionable lyrics but I do have a lot of time for the brilliant Edwyn Collins' A Girl Like You

Um, questionable how?
Or did you just totally miss the point.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 09 May 2021, 18:19

jimboo wrote:
Samoan wrote:Cornershop's Brimful of Asha is atrocious as is Baby Bird's You're Gorgeous which was also well known for it's questionable lyrics but I do have a lot of time for the brilliant Edwyn Collins' A Girl Like You

Um, questionable how?

No, I don't believe I did.

https://www.songfacts.com/images/logos/songfacts_logo.png

This is Babybird's (aka Stephen Jones) biggest hit and the track that he is best known for. However the song, which many understood to be a besotted love song, is frequently misinterpreted.
Jones told The Sheffield Telegraph November 5, 2009: "I can't tell people how to interpret the song, but the song's actually about male photographers who want to use women to sell things using sex."
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 09 May 2021, 19:00

I have a huge love for the early to mid 90s
Basically from Baggy through Shoegaze to Britpop.
Amazing times.
There is very little I have time for from about 1997 to today though

The 90s was the last great era for pop
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 May 2021, 19:40

Samoan wrote:
jimboo wrote:

Um, questionable how?

This is Babybird's (aka Stephen Jones) biggest hit and the track that he is best known for. However the song, which many understood to be a besotted love song, is frequently misinterpreted.
Jones told The Sheffield Telegraph November 5, 2009: "I can't tell people how to interpret the song, but the song's actually about male photographers who want to use women to sell things using sex."

I was right, you did miss the point.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 09 May 2021, 21:18

jimboo wrote:
Samoan wrote:
jimboo wrote:

Um, questionable how?

Pray tell.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 May 2021, 23:39

There was quite a bit of 90's music I liked at the time. A fair amount I never stopped listening to, so there's no real sense of nostalgia; it just became part of my canon. Some of what I listened to at the time in the grunge and alternative rock area has long since lost a lot of its one-time interest, so if someday I pull out a bunch of cd's by the likes of Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies and Mudhoney, I guess you could chalk it up to nostalgia.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 10 May 2021, 02:45

A list like this reminds me of all the great stuff I missed and later found out about because this stuff was pushed down my throat. Although I loved lots of stuff not on that list I lived a different 90's.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 10 May 2021, 06:16

Samoan wrote:
jimboo wrote:
Samoan wrote:

Pray tell.

You either understand it or you don't . It's about exploitation from someone exploited. It clearly isn't condoning or approving of the industry. You will have to quote the part and him where it/he says otherwise.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 May 2021, 09:14

jimboo wrote:
Samoan wrote:
jimboo wrote:

Pray tell.

You either understand it or you don't . It's about exploitation from someone exploited. It clearly isn't condoning or approving of the industry. You will have to quote the part and him where it/he says otherwise.

This isn't really about what it's about for you to go on the offensive from the get-go.
You will have to find someone else to play 'Mine's Best' mind games with.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 10 May 2021, 15:42

Samoan wrote:
jimboo wrote:
Samoan wrote:Pray tell.

This isn't really about what it's about for you to go on the offensive from the get-go.
You will have to find someone else to play 'Mine's Best' mind games with.

Hey, you made the stupid ill informed comment not me.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 May 2021, 17:06

I don't really get nostalgic for any time, but I'd take that list of tracks over any 60s or 70s comp, any day.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Yakety Yak”