What's happening?!?! - songs and albums from 2021

Do talk back
Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

What's happening?!?! - songs and albums from 2021

Postby Brother Spoon » 25 Apr 2021, 17:11

Alright, a little Byrds reference in the subject line, but that's all the ancient history you'll find here!

There used to be a thread for new music on BCB, right? If anyone's interested, let's do more of that.
Most of what I've listened to these last couple of years is fairly new music. Not cause I think it's better (or worse) than older music - I'm not really interested in that discussion, to be honest. But I guess because I like a story where I don't know the end yet. I like it when I don't know what's gonna happen yet, when I can feel some curiosity for what comes next. Where's this artist going to take it all?
And you just don't get that from a 50 year old record, unless you got amnesia.

So, anyway, just any new songs or records you'd like to share.

--

I'll start it off with this new Virginia Wing album, 'Private life'.

It's very synthy, these bright plastic sounds put together in a weirdly fitting way. I mean, in a positive way.
You can hear some of the ongoing Enya rehabilitation in the sound, I think.
But it has a lot to say, in an elliptical sort of way. I'm kinda fascinated with it, can't make my mind up just yet.

One of my favorites:

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Re: What's happening?!?! - songs and albums from 2021

Postby ChrisB » 25 Apr 2021, 17:26

"Course in fable" Ryley Walker.....a heady mixture of prog, jazz, folk. Stunning album

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 25 Apr 2021, 17:34

Israel Nash - Topaz

It's not bad but I liked him better when he was straight country/americana. This (and his last few) is more "I bought a farm in Nowhere, Texas and drop LSD all day to see where the music takes me".

Looking forward to the new Black Keys record. I've always stood by them.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 25 Apr 2021, 17:37

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Image

Israel Nash - Topaz

It's not bad but I liked him better when he was straight country/americana. This (and his last few) is more "I bought a farm in Nowhere, Texas and drop LSD all day to see where the music takes me".

Looking forward to the new Black Keys record. I've always stood by them.

Agree about Israel Nash..... it's an album without direction. I was hoping he'd release another "The best album Neil Young never made". As for the Black Keys, I'll stand by you. Great band. Was actually playing "Brothers" in the car today. They may not be the most original or thought provoking of bands, but, for what they do, they're the best

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 25 Apr 2021, 17:54

Brother Spoon wrote:
There used to be a thread for new music on BCB, right? If anyone's interested, let's do more of that.

Yes! I was just about to start a thread for new music myself.

I'm busy right now but I'll be back to this later.
Really looking forward to seeing what other people have discovered.
Bugger off.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 25 Apr 2021, 18:06

Enjoying this

Give a shit or be a shit.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 25 Apr 2021, 18:25

slightbreeze wrote:"Course in fable" Ryley Walker.....a heady mixture of prog, jazz, folk. Stunning album

Yeah, absolutely! One of my favorites too.
He's on his own path, but I hear a strong late '90s Chicago sound in there too.

And I dig this improvised instrumental side record too:
Ryley Walker & Kikagaku Moyo - Deep fried grandeur

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 25 Apr 2021, 18:38

What do people make of the Black Country, New Road debut? (I mean, real people - not internet journalists.)
It's 'distinctive', but in a too familiar way maybe. I do appreciate them getting that Slint-like brutal feeling in there, but I'm too old for Kanye West-references.
I'm curious where they're headed, but this one's a little clumsy and stilted. So so.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 25 Apr 2021, 18:59

Was browsing on Qobuz this morning and stumbled on Toumani Diabate, a Kora player from Mali. I quite like traditional African music. His new album, Korolen, is recorded with the aid of the LSO and it sounds absolutely magical in my ears.

Black Country, New Road sounds a bit too deliberate to me. They've thought too much about it and therefore it lacks spontaneity, in my opinion. Art-farty. But they have ideas, which is good. I'll follow them if I don't forget. Never heard of Slint. Will check that out too.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 25 Apr 2021, 20:41

Brother Spoon wrote:
What do people make of the Black Country, New Road debut? (I mean, real people - not internet journalists.)
It's 'distinctive', but in a too familiar way maybe. I do appreciate them getting that Slint-like brutal feeling in there, but I'm too old for Kanye West-references.
I'm curious where they're headed, but this one's a little clumsy and stilted. So so.

A friend recommended this to me so I gave it a listen. I found it a bit 'relentless'. I'm going to give it a couple more spins and see if it grows on me but it's not exactly something I can play while I'm working.
Bugger off.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 25 Apr 2021, 21:09

Walk In My Shadow wrote:It's not bad but I liked him better when he was straight country/americana. This (and his last few) is more "I bought a farm in Nowhere, Texas and drop LSD all day to see where the music takes me ......

That sounds great! I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me when these Americana types do something like that ... I might tune in!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 25 Apr 2021, 21:14

Alex Bleeker - Heaven on the faultline
I think I've given up on Real Estate, but I'm giving this small scale solo record by one of their members a shot. It's a modest affair, some instrumentals, some hummable, likeable songs. Kinda JJ Cale in places, but more country/indiepop.
It reminds me a little bit of one of my favorite records, from a few years ago, 'Blue rider songs' by Scott E. Hirsch, which to me is like JJ Cale in space (https://scott-hirsch.bandcamp.com/album/blue-rider-songs).
This one is not that good, it's locked to the ground, but it's amiable and it's growing on me.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 25 Apr 2021, 21:17

Dr. Baron wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:It's not bad but I liked him better when he was straight country/americana. This (and his last few) is more "I bought a farm in Nowhere, Texas and drop LSD all day to see where the music takes me ......

That sounds great! I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me when these Americana types do something like that ... I might tune in!

Sturgill Simpson - A sailor's guide to earth (2016)

And Nash's farm is in Dripping Springs, Texas. Quite near you.
Last edited by Walk In My Shadow on 25 Apr 2021, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 25 Apr 2021, 21:18

Is that the ZZ Top record? I think I liked that!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 25 Apr 2021, 21:23

Dr. Baron wrote:

If only it sounded like that. I saw it written up in the monthlies and checked it out, but I found it very disappointing. I'd need LSD to find anything approaching imagination in it (sorry Yves). Maybe the old stuff is better.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 25 Apr 2021, 21:32

Brother Spoon wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:

If only it sounded like that. I saw it written up in the monthlies and checked it out, but I found it very disappointing. I'd need LSD to find anything approaching imagination in it (sorry Yves). Maybe the old stuff is better.

Image Image

Barn doors and concrete floors and the Live in Holland are straight Americana.

All the ones after (Lifted, Rain Plains, Silver season and Topaz) are shall we say...lifted. He also dropped the Gripka name.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 26 Apr 2021, 08:15

Thanks, Yves. I'll try that, but the recent stuff was way in the heroic Springsteen zone, and that's really not my thing.

This is more my sort of Americana:
New Bums - Last time I saw grace

A collaboration between the main guys from Six organs of admittance and the Skygreen leopards (a somewhat forgotten band who made a wayward, wildly out of tune record called 'Disciples of California' about 15 years ago, which I happen to like a lot). It's really depressing. I think they drank a lot of grenadine before they made it. :)

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 26 Apr 2021, 09:46

I mentioned this lot before in the 'spoken word' thread but anyway, I love the album, New Long Leg, by Dry Cleaning and this is a favourite track:

It's a bit like having an entire album of Lady Godiva's Operation. I can imagine the formula becoming old quite quickly but it holds up perfectly at least for one album. I'm looking forward to finding out I'm wrong and they can keep on putting out stuff I like.
Bugger off.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 Apr 2021, 10:23

Second the Dry Cleaning-album. Very good.
Next to that, been playing the new Songs Of green Pheasant-album When The Weather Clears a lot. Stylewise it's back to the sound of the eponymous debut but less demo-like.

Song of the year- Montparnasse Musique- Panter. Lovely slice of Africana!

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 26 Apr 2021, 16:13

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Enjoying this

Arrived today in the mail. :) Am looking forward to hearing it.

Return to “Yakety Yak”