Qobuz [update: but still buying the CDs/LPs....?]

Do talk back
C
Robust

Qobuz [update: but still buying the CDs/LPs....?]

Postby C » 02 Apr 2021, 18:41

Last edited by C on 24 May 2021, 15:40, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Hugh

Re: Qobuz

Postby Hugh » 02 Apr 2021, 19:27

Wouldn't be without it, C.

Incidentally, Qobuz owner, David Solomon did an interview the other day with Ahmet Zappa and Joe Travers.

https://youtu.be/6NJjtQQgXf0

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Apr 2021, 12:46

Hugh wrote:Wouldn't be without it, C.

Incidentally, Qobuz owner, David Solomon did an interview the other day with Ahmet Zappa and Joe Travers.

https://youtu.be/6NJjtQQgXf0

Yes, my learned friend - I saw that

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 03 Apr 2021, 19:20

Qobuz just got a new customer.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Apr 2021, 19:22

mudshark wrote:Qobuz just got a new customer.

You'll hear the difference Erik...

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Apr 2021, 15:51

I'm listening to a new release in Hi Res [awesome!]

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 Apr 2021, 19:23

So am I. And you’re correct.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Apr 2021, 12:24

Qobuz launches in six new countries
Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Australia, New Zealand

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 May 2021, 15:38

I thought I was getting strong and now I have Qobuz not buying anymore CDs.

Of course I am not buying new stuff (eg 21st century) but I have found I still can't resist some oldies I have always meant to buy.

For example, the first Built to Spill album which cost an arm and a leg and it will just sit on the shelf unplayed.

There have been 3 or 4 in the last couple of months...!

All will remain unplayed.

I suppose that's the 'collector' in me and indeed most of us

What you reckon?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 24 May 2021, 15:47

C wrote:I thought I was getting strong and now I have Qobuz not buying anymore CDs.

Of course I am not buying new stuff (eg 21st century) but I have found I still can't resist some oldies I have always meant to buy.

For example, the first Built to Spill album which cost an arm and a leg and it will just sit on the shelf unplayed.

What you reckon?

I beg to differ. Every cd that comes in gets at least two full plays. Some as many as ten before they hit the shelves.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

robertff

Postby robertff » 24 May 2021, 16:18

C wrote:I thought I was getting strong and now I have Qobuz not buying anymore CDs.

It’s the enticement of the physical article C. Here’s a site dedicated to owning physical versions of music.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 24 May 2021, 16:40

robertff wrote:

It’s the enticement of the physical article C. Here’s a site dedicated to owning physical versions of music.

That site and the guy who runs it , Paul is it? The absolute tosh that gets the punters excited.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

robertff

Postby robertff » 24 May 2021, 17:52

jimboo wrote:
robertff wrote:

That site and the guy who runs it , Paul is it? The absolute tosh that gets the punters excited.

Absolute tosh in your opinion, highly desirable items for others.

jimboo

Re: Qobuz [update: but still buying the CDs/LPs....?]

Postby jimboo » 24 May 2021, 18:18

Yeah I suppose. It's a constant wonder what people will buy.

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 May 2021, 18:23

Walk In My Shadow wrote:

What you reckon?

I beg to differ. Every cd that comes in gets at least two full plays. Some as many as ten before they hit the shelves.

But more point is Yves that they will get loads of plays BUT I will play them via Qobuz hence not the tangible product

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 May 2021, 18:29

robertff wrote:

Thanks Rob

Yes, it sits uncomfortably with me - having a mechanism where I can source music at the tap of an icon, including stuff I don't actually own.

As somebody who started collecting at the age of 10 with Stones/Beatles/Beach Boys albums it feels a bit weird

Streaming is so easy - I don't have to move out of my armchair!

[and Hi Res stuff sounds so good!]

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 May 2021, 18:30

robertff wrote:Absolute tosh in your opinion, highly desirable items for others.

Exactly.

The lad is a Faust fan

[Still, so am I]

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 24 May 2021, 19:47

Cheeky bugger.
I stream to listen to new (to me stuff). Streaming is the future and there is no stopping it. Record sales pale into insignificant numbers compared to listening on Spotify tidal etc. I will keep the physical for now and will still buy stuff. The aforementioned super deluxe site reminds me how middle age men like to buy box sets while others get a Harley.
Streaming or physical and the quality of sound and it's claimed superiority is down to the original recording and a certain standard of equipment. Hi- Res on my set up Linn,Kef, audiolab, bluesound is not really so much better , it's different. MQA is trumpeted but that's more about license fees than massive sonic delight.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 24 May 2021, 19:49

P.s . You hear less hi-res than the streamers claim. Less than ten percent of their catalogue according to hi fi reviewer John Dario. You really don't know what makes your led glow a certain colour.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 25 May 2021, 21:07

I’m not convinced by MQA but given that the non-hi res stuff on Qobuz and Tidal is CD quality, it’s all good really from a sound quality perspective. I do agree that you need a certain quality of equipment to really appreciate streaming but I think that’s true of Hifi generally.

Return to “Yakety Yak”