33%
David Bowie
67%

Total votes: 15

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Re: Elton John vs. David Bowie

Postby Brother Spoon » 27 Mar 2021, 19:47

It's the overarticulate speech of the heart.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Mar 2021, 21:55

slightbreeze wrote:Seriously, though, better than Bowie? Elton was a song writer and performer, Bowie an innovator and artistic genius. Bit like comparing Kevin Keegan to George Best

You are right, even if I connect more with the early songs of Elton than I do with those of Bowie.

Which is why I wrote this disclaimer:

GoogaMooga wrote:Don't get me wrong, David Bowie is the better artist overall, but just examine the best songs of each up to 1976.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Mar 2021, 22:36

The Prof wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:Can't stand Elton's mannered vocals,

Can't stand Elton John full stop. Couple of half decent songs but other than that - no thanks.

:lol:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Mar 2021, 14:35

trans-chigley express wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:
By the way, was Elton trying for a Life on Mars type "Bowie" song with Rocketman? I could almost imagine Bowie performing Rocketman as his own around 1971 (maybe as a lesser b-side :? )

I think you do Rocketman a great disservice. There aren't many songs as good as Life On Mars but Rocket Man runs it pretty close. I do see the similarity in style but I see Life On Mars more of a stab at an EJ style song rather than EJ trying to do a Life In Mars with Rocket Man.

Life On Mars has a far more ambitious arrangement than anything Elton would ever have attempted.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Mar 2021, 17:38

The Modernist wrote:Life On Mars has a far more ambitious arrangement than anything Elton would ever have attempted.

Ambitious arrangements can be very impressive indeed, but I don't think the quality of music should be measured by that alone. Sometimes simple arrangements can be just as satisfying. Nobody would say that "One Note Samba" is bad, just because it is simple.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”