Stories (3)

Do talk back
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Stories (3)

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 27 Nov 2020, 17:45

In 1965 Bob Dylan broke my dad's heart. By releasing Highway 61 Revisited. In fact, it started earlier that year when Bringing it all back home (or Subterranean Homesick Blues as it was known around these parts) came out. Dad was a Dylan purist (shouting Judas would've probably suited him), old Bob with an acoustic guitar and a harmonica.
Bringing it all... narrowly went by because at least there was one side electric and the second acoustic. Great songs on side two, no doubt about that.
Dad loved Mr. Tambourine Man, Gates of Eden and It's all over now Baby Blue. Side one he didn't play very often. Me? I did.
Then came Highway 61 Revisited, the album. Dad was still only 30 years of age at the time but I think he came close to a heart attack (still 25 years away). Blasphemy.
Me, being 11 years old, enveloped the electric sounds of Bob Dylan.
As far as I can remember he never bought Blonde on Blonde. That came out of my pocket money.
But then 1967 came around. Neither he nor I read the music mags so, unexpected, John Wesley Harding appeared in the shops.
An unrecognizable Dylan on the cover and what great music inside that unasuming carton.
Bob, acoustic but with a small backing band. Dad had found his groove back (and never mind that motorcycle accident we knew nothing about).
Heavenly music and dad was one with Zimmerman again.
Me? To this day I think it's still the greatest album he ever made. With the exception of Sammy Walker's eponymous. THAT's the greatest album Dylan never made himself. Check it out.
John Wesley Harding was also the last record Dad bought. From then on it was up to me.
When Nashville Skyline was released I first thought WTF? But from then on I knew Bob Dylan could do no wrong. Whatever he chose to put out, it would always be the standard others would be judge upon.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Return to “Yakety Yak”