I accidentally listened to some Mr. Mister

Do talk back
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

I accidentally listened to some Mr. Mister

Postby naughty boy » 17 Nov 2020, 14:10

I 'obtained' this CD among others from an all-night garage when I was stoned and running away from the police because they thought I had stolen one of Eric Bristow's hair rollers in 1999. I was so panicked that I chose this one from the pile first and played it loud while bombing up the M6. Thankfully the police didn't catch me but I was scarred for life. I would recommend if you want to listen to something comparable from the same era maybe choose something by Heart, they have the same kind of dramatic appeal, big vocals and sort of a sombre mood.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Re: I accidentally listened to some Mr. Mister

Postby ChrisB » 17 Nov 2020, 14:48

Hope you had your jacket sleeves rolled up

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Nov 2020, 18:29

Forget driving while stoned - recommending '80s Heart is completely irresponsible and uncalled for.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Nov 2020, 18:40

It is heartless of Heart to foist their crap upon unsuspecting buyers. Even at 50 p, I regret picking up their stuff, and they are going in my next cull. Mr. Mister might go the same way.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 17 Nov 2020, 19:13

Broken Wings and Kyrie are great. Yearning, melodic, catchy as hell, and the production is spectacular. Nothing wrong with 80s Heart. Bombast is underrated. I’d go for some REO next.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 17 Nov 2020, 21:36

I was about to say Ive Been In Love Before is a cracking single, now realise after 35 years that was by Cutting Crew, not Mr Mister. Kind of the same thing though really.

Love Heart, even the 80s, 70s best but they were ace. Naysayers will say nay, i wont try to change yer mind. These Dreams, There's The Girl and Alone all superb. Might dig Bad Animals vinyl out for a play tomorrow.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Nov 2020, 00:05

Jumper K wrote:I’d go for some REO next.

It’d be an improvement.
Keep on rollin’.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Nov 2020, 00:19

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Love Heart, even the 80s, 70s best but they were ace. Naysayers will say nay, i wont try to change yer mind. These Dreams, There's The Girl and Alone all superb. Might dig Bad Animals vinyl out for a play tomorrow.

Each to his own, of course. When I listened to their box set a few years back I was really struck by how unkind that particular decade had been to them (and they to it). They've done a fair amount of decent stuff since, though.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Nov 2020, 04:18

Charlie O. wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:Love Heart, even the 80s, 70s best but they were ace. Naysayers will say nay, i wont try to change yer mind. These Dreams, There's The Girl and Alone all superb. Might dig Bad Animals vinyl out for a play tomorrow.

Each to his own, of course. When I listened to their box set a few years back I was really struck by how unkind that particular decade had been to them (and they to it). They've done a fair amount of decent stuff since, though.

I've never heard any Heart since this 80s stuff. I'm very fond of their 70s era though.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Nov 2020, 13:10

Jumper K wrote:Broken Wings and Kyrie are great. Yearning, melodic, catchy as hell, and the production is spectacular. Nothing wrong with 80s Heart. Bombast is underrated. I’d go for some REO next.

Yes, they are quite good, both found on the first album. I've also got the third, but I'm getting rid of that. I don't mind REO, either.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

J

Postby J » 19 Nov 2020, 01:12

trans-chigley express wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:

I've never heard any Heart since this 80s stuff. I'm very fond of their 70s era though.

Another vote here for Heart's early releases. Dog & Butterfly, Little Queen, Dreamboat Annie LPs particularly, although I think they are all good.

I like the chart-friendly 80s LPs too, and some of their singles were excellent, and great radio records too (I'd agree with all three mentioned), but found I had mixed feelings about this period of their career. It was good to see the band finally get some attention and sales in the UK in the 80s, but the singles were mostly written for them, whereas their earlier material had all been largely self-penned. I'd already been thoroughly convinced about their ability to write a good song and found the lower number of songs by A.Wilson and/or N.Wilson on their mid-80s LPs did reduce the appeal of those records a little.
Still bought them though...
oh the sun is shining
and I'm on that road

Return to “Yakety Yak”