And The Hits .../Pretty Much Your Standard ...

Do talk back
Nolamike

Re: And The Hits .../Pretty Much Your Standard ...

Postby Nolamike » 14 Nov 2014, 22:05

Carlisle Wheeling wrote:Jessica. I didn't realise that at the time but I asked some question or other at the merch desk and she mentioned "her dad". She asked me if I'd seen him before and what my favourite record was. It seemed so surreal talking about "your dad's albums" etc .

Similarly weird, Nesmith spent 6 months surfing my boss' couch at some point in the early '70s (my boss was a musician in San Antonio for years, until his law practice got in the way). I'm hoping to get him drunk at the firm Christmas party and get the full scoop from him. :)
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 26 Apr 2015, 21:24

Sunday night is Nesmith night ...
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Apr 2015, 02:01

Good Call. His best album, I (sometimes) think...
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Postby ... » 27 Apr 2015, 07:40

billy wrote:Image

Sunday night is Nesmith night ...

First one I ever bought - for 50p in a Dublin record shop about 40-odd years ago and together with Hits and Ranch stash, still my fave Papa Nes album

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Apr 2015, 16:19

fueryhk(redux) wrote:First one I ever bought

Same here. I loved it then and I love it now, but I think I slightly prefer the two before it.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 27 Apr 2015, 16:24

I've always though Nevada Fighter was the weakest of the four National Band albums.

The three strongest tracks for me are the Nevada Fighter 45 b-side Here I Am, Michael Murphey's Texas Morning and EC's I Looked Away. Propinquity, like Listen To The Band is one of the songs that I prefer in its Monkees recorded version(s). It's still a fine album though. if a little on the short side.

I was talking about the album to a guy at the QE Hall gig in 2012. He was telling me that he used to live in Manchester and when he couldn't get the album there one lunchtime, rather than go back to school he got a train to Liverpool and bought it there. I was impressed.

Just noticed that I didn't post this interview correctly last time...

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 27 Apr 2015, 16:52

toomanyhatz wrote:there's not enough Red Rhodes in this world and too much Sneaky Pete

:roll:
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 22 Apr 2021, 19:53

Rayge wrote:
The soundscaping and production on this are a work of genius, and while it's not a category of true greatness in music, I defy anyone to better the segue between 2.15 and 2.45

Hey, Ray -- hope all goes well!

Can you remind me of the segue you are referring to here? Seem like the YouTube video has been removed .... dash it
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 Apr 2021, 19:56

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:there's not enough Red Rhodes in this world and too much Sneaky Pete

:roll:

I would be happy to have more of both.

And not so many words from Nesmith.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 22 Apr 2021, 20:04

I love Magnetic South to bits but I just realised that I've never listened to any other full post-Monkees albums.

I think I shall binge this weekend.
Bugger off.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 22 Apr 2021, 23:20

billy wrote:
Rayge wrote:
The soundscaping and production on this are a work of genius, and while it's not a category of true greatness in music, I defy anyone to better the segue between 2.15 and 2.45

Hey, Ray -- hope all goes well!

Can you remind me of the segue you are referring to here? Seem like the YouTube video has been removed .... dash it

Hi Billy, It's a long while ago, but I've had a think - the things I do for love! - and I suspect it must have been this, the first track on side two of Ranch Stuff, although my timings are a little off
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 23 Apr 2021, 08:58

Rayge wrote:
Hi Billy, It's a long while ago, but I've had a think - the things I do for love! - and I suspect it must have been this, the first track on side two of Ranch Stuff, although my timings are a little off

Isn't that a brilliant transition, like a smeared soup reforming into a sold second course! Thanks Ray

Return to “Yakety Yak”