Zappa corner. bung it here.

Do talk back
John_K
driven by lists

Re: Zappa corner. bung it here.

Postby John_K » 20 May 2021, 20:19

Anybody have a reliable source for something called 'Piquantique'?

Reading a lot of positivity surrounding it earlier...

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 20 May 2021, 20:23

Jock wrote:I've just come across it in "the place" :) Cheers.

I'm dropping some others in the same place...

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 20 May 2021, 20:32

Piquantique is part of the Beat The Boots set, which is a release of some bootlegs, as the name suggest, Zappa released himself to beat the bootleggers to it. The sound quality isn't great. It's the 1973 band, so pretty much the same one as on Roxy and OSFA. You'd be better of getting You Can't Do That On Stage Any More Volume 2, which again is the same band but in 1974. By then they're very familiar with the material. This is just the entire concert from start to finish, no overdubs. I really like it overall, but particularly because it has the best version of Pygmy Twylyte I've ever heard.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 20 May 2021, 20:45

mudshark wrote:Piquantique is part of the Beat The Boots set, which is a release of some bootlegs, as the name suggest, Zappa released himself to beat the bootleggers to it. The sound quality isn't great. It's the 1973 band, so pretty much the same one as on Roxy and OSFA. You'd be better of getting You Can't Do That On Stage Any More Volume 2, which again is the same band but in 1974. By then they're very familiar with the material. This is just the entire concert from start to finish, no overdubs. I really like it overall, but particularly because it has the best version of Pygmy Twylyte I've ever heard.

Great, I have YCDTOSAM Vol.2 - I've only picked up Vol.1 & 2 so far, I'll dip back into that again so...

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 20 May 2021, 20:55

YCDTOSA Vol. 2 also reveals the reason why Zappa started playing Whipping Post. FZ asks the audience in Helsinki if there are any requests and some drunken Fin with a very loud voice screams WHIPPING POST! They couldn't play it and did Montana instead but with some improvised lyrics '... just to raise me up a flop of whipping floss', that kinda stuff). But later FZ put the song on his repertoire and it even appears on a studio album (Them Or Us). That Finnish Fucker has a lot to answer for...
Last edited by mudshark on 20 May 2021, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 May 2021, 21:04

mudshark wrote:Piquantique is part of the Beat The Boots set, which is a release of some bootlegs, as the name suggest, Zappa released himself to beat the bootleggers to it. The sound quality isn't great. It's the 1973 band, so pretty much the same one as on Roxy and OSFA. You'd be better of getting You Can't Do That On Stage Any More Volume 2, which again is the same band but in 1974. By then they're very familiar with the material. This is just the entire concert from start to finish, no overdubs. I really like it overall, but particularly because it has the best version of Pygmy Twylyte I've ever heard.

One of the best albums that came from that group of 'Beat The Boots' series is Live at the Ark Boston 1968 where the sound quality is excellent (I never buy albums of sub standard sound quality irrespective of who they are - not even FZ)

This is a track from it [it says 1969 but it's 1968]

A blistering guitar solo

The album is generally referred to as 'The Ark' officially realised on Castle Communications in 1991

Last edited by C on 21 May 2021, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 21 May 2021, 07:16

mudshark wrote:Maybe you're right C. Bebop Tango takes up all of side 4, and I think I've played it once, ever.

Same here, but it's easy to skip and to my ears, sides 2 and 3 are as good as it gets. They include a couple of perfect guitar solos.

In fact, Roxy (minus Be-Bop Tango) is my favourite Zappa album.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 21 May 2021, 10:07

C wrote:
One of the best albums that came from that group of 'Beat The Boots' series is Live at the Ark Boston 1968 where the sound quality is excellent (I never buy albums of sub standard sound quality irrespective of whom they are - not even FZ)

Just taken a peek in my hard drive archive and realise I have a copy of this, post-lunch listen sorted... :D

Jock

Postby Jock » 21 May 2021, 10:30

John_K wrote:
Jock wrote:I've just come across it in "the place" :) Cheers.

I'm dropping some others in the same place...

Got them. Great stuff. Ta
Always Cheated Never Defeated

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 May 2021, 13:52

Neige wrote:In fact, Roxy (minus Be-Bop Tango) is my favourite Zappa album.

It's a big chunk to remove to make it a fave though Felix

[That said it is a superb album!]

Stuff like this doesn't age well.

It's like 'Room Service or 'Panty Rap' - they overstay their welcome pretty quickly

You had to be there!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 May 2021, 13:56

John_K wrote:
C wrote:
One of the best albums that came from that group of 'Beat The Boots' series is Live at the Ark Boston 1968 where the sound quality is excellent (I never buy albums of sub standard sound quality irrespective of who they are - not even FZ)

Just taken a peek in my hard drive archive and realise I have a copy of this, post-lunch listen sorted... :D

It's a corker!

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 May 2021, 14:01

Tom Waits For No One wrote:My intro to Zappa was Joe's Garage so I'd recommend that.

Good stuff from 1979

But for me Sheik Yerbouti was Frank's finest from that year

I saw him on that tour too.

I bought the official T-shirt. Black with Sheik Yerbouti written on the front in Frank's hand [as on the front cover above].

I am sure their was something on the back - 'Frank Zappa' I presume...

Anyway, great concert [Hammersmith Odeon] and a great album

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 21 May 2021, 15:37

C wrote:
It's like 'Room Service or 'Panty Rap' - they overstay their welcome pretty quickly

Mrs_K is not a fan, I find myself hitting the skip button when 'Panty Rap' comes on, he's not winning any new fans in this house with that one...

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 21 May 2021, 18:20

Yeah, I really don't know why he put in those 'humorous' interludes during his concerts. Maybe to give the band a rest? Whatever the reason, most of it is not funny. And worse, Dweezil is does it as well and those are even less funny.

I like 'Sheik' very much. It's probably his funniest studio album, which is why I'm a bit surprised Mr. C likes it. I figured him more of a Sleep Dirt kinda guy (also 1979). Saw him on that tour as well (Rotterdam, Feb 8, 1978 - had to look it up). Weird thing: what is now called the Sheik Yerbouti Tour was 77-78 but the album only came out in 1979. In fact, the majority of the live recordings (with oodles and oodles of overdubs) on the album are from the 4 shows he did at the Hammersmith Odeon. So I'm guessing it wasn't called the Sheik Yerbouti Tour at all when it took place.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 21 May 2021, 21:35

C wrote:
Tom Waits For No One wrote:My intro to Zappa was Joe's Garage so I'd recommend that.

Good stuff from 1979

But for me Sheik Yerbouti was Frank's finest from that year

I saw him on that tour too.

I bought the official T-shirt. Black with Sheik Yerbouti written on the front in Frank's hand [as on the front cover above].

I am sure their was something on the back - 'Frank Zappa' I presume...

Anyway, great concert [Hammersmith Odeon] and a great album

and I saw him on that tour and he was shite.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 21 May 2021, 22:55

I tend to agree with Jimbly. During the Rotterdam concert he was quite docile. He did a lot of conducting and sitting down/listening. Every once in a while he let out a blistering solo but he let most of the singing and playing to the band. I thought it had a lot to do with the venue: at the time the Ahoy sports palace in Rotterdam had a bicycle tracks separating the stage from the audience. During the break he ranted against it and, sure enough, it was gone soon after. Of course and unfortunately I don't know if what I'm describing compares to the Hammersmith concerts.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 22 May 2021, 00:41

Sounds exactly like the Glasgow gig. More band than Frank. Drank coffee and smoked some fags.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 27 May 2021, 00:03

Maybe this is well known to many Zappatistas but I learned it today: when FZ got pushed of the stage during the MOI concert at the Rainbow in 1971 the band was playing I Want To Hold Your Hand, as an encore. Has anybody heard them play this??

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 27 May 2021, 06:58

mudshark wrote:Maybe this is well known to many Zappatistas but I learned it today: when FZ got pushed of the stage during the MOI concert at the Rainbow in 1971 the band was playing I Want To Hold Your Hand, as an encore. Has anybody heard them play this??

I have now...

Here it is, an audience recording from Stockholm, a few days earlier.

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 May 2021, 07:48

If Trevor Charles Howell's lawyer had been able to introduce that recording as evidence in court, he might have gotten his client a suspended sentence.

Return to “Yakety Yak”