Zappa corner. bung it here.

Do talk back
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Zappa corner. bung it here.

Postby Neige » 14 May 2021, 20:03

mudshark wrote:PS For the hell of it I checked all the Beat The Boots releases. The song also appears on Any Way The Wind Blows, but I don't think that should be considered an official release.

That was the same tour, but the Tinseltown version was recorded in London, not in Paris
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 May 2021, 02:32

mudshark wrote:Yesterday while I was doing the dishes I listened to Tinsel Town Rebellion (yes, a lot of dishes). Apart from the feeling that a couple of the songs could have done with a bit less synthesizer in 'm and my dislike for corny fillers like Panty Rap and Dance Contest (why did he keep putting these on the albums?? I don't think I even would have liked it if I'd been in the audience) it's a pretty great album. I like in particular the rendition of Brown Shoes Don't Make it (incl. the segue into Peaches III). It was probably FZ's first Great Composition. But I think it only appears twice on the 100+ official releases: the original studio version on Absolutely Free and the aforementioned live recording. It's not on any of the 6 YCDTOSA volumes and neither is it on one of the many posthumous releases of live shows. I wonder why that is. It's pretty much the song that sent him on the way to stardom and it's still widely recognized as a 'masterpiece'. Did Frank fall out of love with the song? Were the lyrics too controversial (I can't imagine he would have given two fucks about that)? Does anybody have an idea?

No, but I can tell you that he cited it in his 1968 Rolling Stone interview (a great interview) as a song he particularly liked.

FWIW, the 2016 release Frank Zappa For President includes a 1969 remix of the AbFree track, with subtle and not-so-subtle differences. Given the date, I assumed that he'd remixed it for Mothermania before deciding to use the original mix instead (Mothermania used remixes for the Freak Out! and Money tracks, but not the AbFree ones for some reason) - but Joe Travers says he doesn't know what the intention was...

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 17 May 2021, 19:40

Thanks Charlies. Nice interview indeed.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Jock

Postby Jock » 19 May 2021, 19:48

Ok Zappa freaks. I have one album by Zappa. One Size Fits All.I quite enjoy it.
Where next??
Always Cheated Never Defeated

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 19 May 2021, 22:59

Jock wrote:Ok Zappa freaks. I have one album by Zappa. One Size Fits All.I quite enjoy it.
Where next??

haven't we had this conversation?

Hot Rats
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 May 2021, 23:03

Jimbly wrote:
Jock wrote:Ok Zappa freaks. I have one album by Zappa. One Size Fits All.I quite enjoy it.
Where next??

Hot Rats

Good advice

If you want to hear the full range of Zappa all in one place I would suggest Läther.

Then you don't like the majority of that then FZ is probably not for you

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 20 May 2021, 01:56

Sir C is correct is correct.
But I'm correcterer: Roxy & Elsewhere is your next station.

Jock

Postby Jock » 20 May 2021, 08:53

Jimbly wrote:
Where next??

Hot Rats

Aye, but it was a while ago and I’m getting aul’

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 20 May 2021, 10:11

Jock wrote:
Jimbly wrote:
Where next??

Hot Rats

Hot Rats for me is essential, my heart jumped for joy recently when I caught sound of my 19 year old son playing Peaches en Regalia while on his Playstation..!

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 20 May 2021, 10:16

Where next??

I'm a relative newcomer too John, but my collection is growing bit by bit, when I first dipped my toe in, my next posts of call where:

Over-nite Sensation
Zoot Allures
Apostrophe &
Roxy and Elsewhere

I keep an eye on this thread from time to time, as a result Tinseltown Rebellion arrived on my desk this week...

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 20 May 2021, 10:59

John_K wrote:
Where next??

I'm a relative newcomer too John, but my collection is growing bit by bit, when I first dipped my toe in, my next posts of call where:

Over-nite Sensation
Zoot Allures
Apostrophe &
Roxy and Elsewhere

I keep an eye on this thread from time to time, as a result Tinseltown Rebellion arrived on my desk this week...

My intro to Zappa was Joe's Garage so I'd recommend that.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Jock

Postby Jock » 20 May 2021, 17:40

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
John_K wrote:
Where next??

Over-nite Sensation
Zoot Allures
Apostrophe &
Roxy and Elsewhere

My intro to Zappa was Joe's Garage so I'd recommend that.

I've just come across it in "the place" :) Cheers.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 May 2021, 18:08

mudshark wrote:But I'm correcterer: Roxy & Elsewhere is your next station.

The long audience participation track will turn the lad off - it does me!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 May 2021, 18:10

John_K wrote:
Jock wrote:
Jimbly wrote:

Hot Rats

Hot Rats for me is essential, my heart jumped for joy recently when I caught sound of my 19 year old son playing Peaches en Regalia while on his Playstation..!

I've got a video of my two boys, Zap and Zed, dancing on my desk in my study wiggling their bottoms and head banging to Willie The Pimp. They were 4 and 5.

Robust stuff!

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 May 2021, 18:20

John_K wrote: as a result Tinseltown Rebellion arrived on my desk this week...

That's a corker!

The thing is when one asks 'where next?' one gets, over time, possibly the whole catalogue [well, perhaps not in Zappa's case, but you get the idea].

Frank's music was very diverse from doo-wop to orchestral, from jazz to blues, from rock to 'humour', from garage to quasi-punk etc.

So my answer to the question is try to identify the type of Zappa you prefer/dislike and then we can narrow it down a bit.

For example, there's no point in suggesting say, Hot Rats if one doesn't like long guitar solos or screeching electric violins!

Without sounding conceited but that is why Läther is a good call because it contains, over the three LPs, all the Zappa styles and that will help you pin-point your next call.

I adore Lumpy Gravy but it would clearly not be to everybody's taste and I dislike immensely Reuben & The Jets [a doo-wop pastiche] which others love [but they are not hard-edged FZ fans (allegedly!)]

Jock

Postby Jock » 20 May 2021, 18:28

C wrote:
John_K wrote: as a result Tinseltown Rebellion arrived on my desk this week...

That's a corker!

The thing is when one asks 'where next?' one gets, over time, possibly the whole catalogue [well, perhaps not in Zappa's case, but you get the idea].

Frank's music was very diverse from doo-wop to orchestral, from jazz to blues, from rock to 'humour', from garage to quasi-punk etc.

So my answer to the question is try to identify the type of Zappa you prefer/dislike and then we can narrow it down a bit.

For example, there's no point in suggesting say, Hot Rats if one doesn't like long guitar solos or screeching electric violins!

Without sounding conceited but that is why Läther is a good call because it contains, over the three LPs, all the Zappa styles and that will help you pin-point your next call.

I adore Lumpy Gravy but it would clearly not be to everybody's taste and I dislike immensely Reuben & The Jets [a doo-wop pastiche] which others love [but they are not hard-edged FZ fans (allegedly!)]

Thanks for that, C. Also is there anything similar to One Size Fits All?

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 May 2021, 18:43

Jock wrote:Thanks for that, C. Also is there anything similar to One Size Fits All?

One Size is a fantastic album - a good choice.

I would say, firstly try Over-Nite Sensation then Apostrophe and Zoot Allures

[Tina Turner is one of the female backing vocalists on Over-Nite. Ike was in the next studio and when he heard what she was singing about he wasn't too happy (allegedly!)]

Last edited by C on 20 May 2021, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.

Jock

Postby Jock » 20 May 2021, 18:46

C wrote:
Jock wrote:Thanks for that, C. Also is there anything similar to One Size Fits All?

One Size is a fantastic album - a good choice.

I would say, firstly try Over-Nite Sensation then Apostrophe and Zoot Allures

Cheers. John K says the same

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 May 2021, 19:42

personally, I really like Ricky Lancelotti's vocals when present.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejWD5-Dszkg
uggy poopy doody.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 20 May 2021, 20:18

Maybe you're right C. Bebop Tango takes up all of side 4, and I think I've played it once, ever.
The reason I recommend Roxy is that it's pretty much the same band as on OSFA
Last edited by mudshark on 20 May 2021, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yakety Yak”