Glastonbury

Do talk back
ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Re: Glastonbury

Postby ChrisB » 26 Jun 2022, 20:11

robertff wrote:Was looking forward to watching PM this afternoon on iplayer but the trusty old BBC have cocked it up.

Boris?? :o :D

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jun 2022, 20:34

The rumour on site is that Kendrick Lamar’s special guest is going to be Mick Lynch.

(Joke courtesy Tim Burgess)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 26 Jun 2022, 20:57

Deebank wrote:The rumour on site is that Kendrick Lamar’s special guest is going to be Mick Lynch.

Backed by Big Big Train

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 26 Jun 2022, 22:02

Khruangbin, Idles, Amyl & The Sniffers all superb, Apparently the Macca set is now finally on iplayer nearly 24 hours later, i saw 2/3's last night and want to see the Bruce and Dave guest spots.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 26 Jun 2022, 22:19

Macca didnt go up on iplayer until this evening. Sounds like they've improved the mix, definitely some tweaking occured causing the delay, didnt think it needed it but with headphone on id suggest someones been busy working on Sunday.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 26 Jun 2022, 22:23

Seriously head to ipayer Macca sounds awesome, yes his vocals arent 100% but its an amazing performance.

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Jun 2022, 07:56

Started watching it late last night when I realised it was finally on, so far it's a really good performance, he may not hit all the notes now but at least he can get most of them which is more than Diana Ross managed. Will watch the rest later today.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Jun 2022, 10:59

You'd think Macca would need armed guards for his Hofner. It must be worth as much as the Mona Lisa.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Jun 2022, 11:01

slightbreeze wrote:
Deebank wrote:The rumour on site is that Kendrick Lamar’s special guest is going to be Mick Lynch.

Backed by Big Big Train

It could only be an improvement.

Mr Lamar is not my kind of thing at all - the dancing was interesting I suppose :? :?

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Jun 2022, 11:16

Deebank wrote:You'd think Macca would need armed guards for his Hofner. It must be worth as much as the Mona Lisa.

The original was stolen years ago this is a copy replacement, nevertheless, you are are probably right on both counts .

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Jun 2022, 11:56

robertff wrote:
Deebank wrote:You'd think Macca would need armed guards for his Hofner. It must be worth as much as the Mona Lisa.

The original was stolen years ago this is a copy replacement, nevertheless, you are are probably right on both counts .

Never knew that.
WHat is the point I wonder - somewhere some kleptocrat or gang boss has Macca's Hofner hanging on his wall... Value is a very abstract concept.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 27 Jun 2022, 12:13

Five songs into Diana Ross. My God, this is shite! Hold on, she just hit a correct note. Been a long wait.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 27 Jun 2022, 12:26

Is that the arch brexiteer Mick Lynch I wonder? I was half expecting the witless drones to be sing his name to the tune of " Sit Down ". Nothing is beyond the stupidity of the genzers.
You don't like me...do you?

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Jun 2022, 12:39

slightbreeze wrote:Five songs into Diana Ross. My God, this is shite! Hold on, she just hit a correct note. Been a long wait.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Jun 2022, 14:28

robertff wrote:

Macca is the proud owner of a genuine historical artifact - Bill Black's upright bass.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 27 Jun 2022, 15:27

Just watched Macca. Not bad, actually. Worst parts were his solo spots, quite sad, actually. Old man's voice with ill fitting dentures. Destroyed "Maybe I'm amazed". However, with the rockers eg "Helter Skelter", still had power and attitude. Well played, sir.

robertff

Postby robertff » 28 Jun 2022, 17:03

slightbreeze wrote:Just watched Macca. Not bad, actually. Worst parts were his solo spots, quite sad, actually. Old man's voice with ill fitting dentures. Destroyed "Maybe I'm amazed". However, with the rockers eg "Helter Skelter", still had power and attitude. Well played, sir.

Didn't think he was too bad at all even on the solo spots and he cerationly got the crowd with him. Yes, his voice cracked a few times but heck for an 80 year old he did amazingly well, hope I'm as agaile as that when I get to that age. Best of all he looked as though he was really enjoying it.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 28 Jun 2022, 19:50

robertff wrote:

The very first Hofner he had disappeared sometime in 1969 from storage - no one really knows.

But I presume he is still playing the 1963 model he played for most of the 1960s, and that was the one seen at Glastonbury.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/pa ... ofner-bass
https://www.hofner.com/lost-bass
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 29 Jun 2022, 12:35

LMG wrote:
The very first Hofner he had disappeared sometime in 1969 from storage - no one really knows.

But I presume he is still playing the 1963 model he played for most of the 1960s, and that was the one seen at Glastonbury.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/pa ... ofner-bass
https://www.hofner.com/lost-bass

That first one is a fun read. Thanks.
Bugger off.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 03 Jul 2022, 10:12

Finally got round to watching the Pet Shop Boys. As usual, stunning. Hit after hit after hit, plus three percussionists who added so much, musically. Just overtaken Supergrass as act of the festival

Return to “Yakety Yak”