Eddy Grant's rock experiment

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Eddy Grant's rock experiment

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Jan 2022, 02:14

In 1988 reggae artist Eddy Grant decided to experiment and put out a rock album stripped of reggae riddims. Fortunately, Eddy is such a good songwriter and performer that he pulls it off. The album, with the rather cheeky title, "File Under Rock", gave him a massive hit with the single "Gimme Hope, Jo'annna". This was in 1988. How do you feel about specific genre artists trying out other genres?

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

trans-chigley express

Re: Eddy Grant's rock experiment

Postby trans-chigley express » 24 Jan 2022, 04:32

I would not describe "Gimme Hope, Jo'annna" as in any way a rock song.

I have a lot of time for Eddy Grant but I haven't heard this album and would be interested to hear if he can pull it off. He's a talented guy.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jan 2022, 06:08

trans-chigley express wrote:I would not describe "Gimme Hope, Jo'annna" as in any way a rock song.

I have a lot of time for Eddy Grant but I haven't heard this album and would be interested to hear if he can pull it off. He's a talented guy.

The whole album rocks, qv. the title. As for "Gimme Hope, Jo'anna", I first heard it on a comp, so could it be a case of there being an earlier pop/reggae version? I'd have to check.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 24 Jan 2022, 07:53

I'd never heard the album before but as Eddy Grant was known for messing around in multiple genres it doesn't strike me as an outstanding example of someone trying out something new. I just had a quick listen to a couple of tracks and found it not to my taste but not that much of a departure from what I already know of his work. To me it was a bit like a pop musician trying to sound rock and ending up sounding like a pop musician trying to sound rock. A bit like Donny and Marie Osmond doing Reelin' in the Years.

I admit I haven't listened closely to it so that could be a completely unfair judgement.

But Give Me Hope Jo'anna, at least the only version I know (I have to admit that Spotify seems to have trouble finding the album and I may have been listening to someone's playlist, i.e. this may not be the 'correct' version) isn't at all rock. Much like his other singles it's pop with a Caribbean flavour. I wouldn't even call it reggae for that matter. It sounds more like calypso to me.

That song was huge in Spain for a few years but I still like it anyway. And the other big singles. Never been interested in the albums though.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jan 2022, 12:15

Thanks for confirming, that means I've got both versions of "Give Me Hope Jo'anna".

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Jan 2022, 17:26

Phew!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Return to “Yakety Yak”