Get Back

Do talk back
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Get Back

Postby The Prof » 26 Nov 2021, 10:54

I got a £1.99/month offer from Disney so I thought I'd better take advantage of it.
I watched some of the first one last night.

The opening prelude bit was just the same at They Shall Not Grow Old. In that it's a small b/w box in the middle of the screen giving a potted history of how we got to the point where the film starts.

There is some very clever editing and lip syncing going on. I guess a some of the dialogue we hear wasn't filmed so he's mixing, for example, John talking but footage of George looking off camera and it all flows together seamlessly.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 26 Nov 2021, 12:00

The Prof wrote:I got a £1.99/month offer from Disney so I thought I'd better take advantage of it.
I watched some of the first one last night.

The opening prelude bit was just the same at They Shall Not Grow Old. In that it's a small b/w box in the middle of the screen giving a potted history of how we got to the point where the film starts.

There is some very clever editing and lip syncing going on. I guess a some of the dialogue we hear wasn't filmed so he's mixing, for example, John talking but footage of George looking off camera and it all flows together seamlessly.

There is a staggering amount of good stuff on Disney+.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 26 Nov 2021, 12:45

After watching the first half hour, the fanboy in me is filled with glee, simply because it feels like being there, and I could listen to their beautiful and familiar voices and accents for ages, including meaningless banter.

But I won't force on Lady Neigemont what she'd probably perceive as an ordeal.

She's at work tomorrow, I'm not, so my plan is to binge-watch the whole thing. :P
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 26 Nov 2021, 12:53

Neige wrote:After watching the first half hour, the fanboy in me is filled with glee, simply because it feels like being there, and I could listen to their beautiful and familiar voices and accents for ages, including meaningless banter.

That’s how I’m feeling :)
Looking forward to the next however many hours.

No Disney+ subscription but a modified Fire Stick is doing the trick.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 26 Nov 2021, 13:40

The Prof wrote:There is some very clever editing and lip syncing going on. I guess a some of the dialogue we hear wasn't filmed so he's mixing, for example, John talking but footage of George looking off camera and it all flows together seamlessly.

Yeah, there’s a lot of that going on. Noticed on the Gimme Some Truth run through that there’s shots of Lennon both unshaven and shaved mixed together :geek:

From the bit I’ve seen so far it seems George had a bit of trouble trying to get Paul and John to give his songs a go, Paul seems particularly disinterested.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 26 Nov 2021, 13:59

Muskrat wrote:Can’t say this reaction is unexpected. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/nov/25/the-beatles-get-back-review-peter-jackson-eight-hours-of-tv-so-aimless-it-threatens-your-sanity?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

But the moments of inspiration and interest are marooned amid acres of desultory chit-chat (“aimless rambling”, as Lennon rightly puts it) and repetition. There is a point, about five hours in, when the prospect of hearing another ramshackle version of Don’t Let Me Down becomes an active threat to the viewer’s sanity. That is doubtless what recording an album is like, but for an onlooker it is – to use the language of 1969 – a real drag. Much opprobrium has been cast at Yoko Ono for her constant presence at Beatles’ recording sessions, but, after this, you marvel at her fortitude for sitting through them.

It is a bit curious that this cut isn’t just reserved for Beatle people. It’s widely released on D*sney and marketed as some sort of event, but I can’t imagine there’s truly widespread interest in what this actually is.

As I have said, I’m happy to have whatever they give us. I’ll watch pretty much ANY nice footage of the Beatles in the studio. It’s just a pity all the footage we have is of them recording Let It Be.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 26 Nov 2021, 15:22

der Freiherr wrote:I’ll watch pretty much ANY nice footage of the Beatles in the studio. It’s just a pity all the footage we have is of them recording Let It Be.

Word!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 26 Nov 2021, 22:46

Half way through second episode.

Glyn Johns looks amazing in many of the shots, some cool neckerchiefs and a feathery jacket my wife now wants to own. Beatles scruffy by comparison, he really made an effort.

the clapperboard young lad, eyes open wide as Paul plays Martha My Dear, pure fanboy and its really nice.

And star so far, Mal Evans, in most shots and looks like he should be an actor, love him.

Oh and everyone hates Maxwell Silver Hammer, Mal's shining moment. They weren't wrong.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 27 Nov 2021, 00:37

Only scene the start but loving it so far. I think Let It Be is one of my favourite collections of Beatle songs but I’m not a fan of the Spector strings etc so between this and the super deluxe box I’m very happy.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 27 Nov 2021, 05:15

2 episodesbdown. I am really enjoying it. The songs really start coming together. However I can't work out when they add the mighty G to D chord change to Get Back. It isn't there for ages and then suddenly they do it.
I love the footage from India.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 27 Nov 2021, 09:02

One of the most interesting things about the whole Get Back sessions to me:

Received wisdom, even between John and Paul, was that George was a bit hard done by in The Beatles. That the band could have given him more b-sides or album space. Thing is, as he was coming into his own as a writer Lennon and McCartney continued to write ever more brilliant stuff and I always find myself thinking, well, what Lennon and McCartney songs would I want to lose to make way for more Harrison? None!(well, ok, I’d take All Things Must Pass over Maxwell’s but I think the broader point still stands).

All that being said, John Lennon turns up here with about one and a half new songs. Paul even has a conversation where he’s sort of saying, come on John, we’ll be in trouble here if you don’t pull your finger out! Yet Harrison has songs to burn and neither Paul nor John seems very interested in those. Paul is just waiting on John to deliver. You can see why George would be fed up to put it mildly.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 27 Nov 2021, 09:32

I see the band call Ringo "Rich" or "Ritchie" nearly all the time. The hangers on call him Ringo.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Nov 2021, 16:49

And they all call Brian "Mr Epstein."

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 27 Nov 2021, 22:28

ChrisChopping wrote:One of the most interesting things about the whole Get Back sessions to me:

Received wisdom, even between John and Paul, was that George was a bit hard done by in The Beatles. That the band could have given him more b-sides or album space. Thing is, as he was coming into his own as a writer Lennon and McCartney continued to write ever more brilliant stuff and I always find myself thinking, well, what Lennon and McCartney songs would I want to lose to make way for more Harrison? None!(well, ok, I’d take All Things Must Pass over Maxwell’s but I think the broader point still stands).

All that being said, John Lennon turns up here with about one and a half new songs. Paul even has a conversation where he’s sort of saying, come on John, we’ll be in trouble here if you don’t pull your finger out! Yet Harrison has songs to burn and neither Paul nor John seems very interested in those. Paul is just waiting on John to deliver. You can see why George would be fed up to put it mildly.

just started 3rd episode and george hasnt really pushed his songs forward, only I Me Mine, For You Blue and All Things Must Pass. But he had so much more in his locker, and some of those from his solo album album are better and already written,

Just starting the 3rd episode, loving the footage with Linda's daughter in the studio.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 27 Nov 2021, 23:03

I get all happy sad watching Mal. He loved the lads so much yet his demise was tragic.
king of the divan

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 28 Nov 2021, 00:15

Yes I was thinking that as I watched episode 1. There’s a lovely sequence where Linda is taking shots of Paul and Ringo (I think) as Paul is at the Piano. Mal is standing over them. When they cut to Linda’s shot he’s the only one who has noticed and is just smiling at her. It reinforces the view that the sessions weren’t all bad ... and yet it's still sad.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 28 Nov 2021, 10:24

Once they go to Savile Row it does all seem very happy, likecwhen the news of Yoko's divorce come through. George's pink pinstripe suit is something else.

It does seem odd that Jackson repeats a couple of clips though. Surely there was something else hs could have used.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 28 Nov 2021, 10:37

mentalist (slight return) wrote:I get all happy sad watching Mal. He loved the lads so much yet his demise was tragic.

As I was going to the shops a month or so ago I noticed they had put a blue plaque up outside hs family home

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 28 Nov 2021, 22:18

Finished it now wish to watch again, more Mal needed.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 29 Nov 2021, 15:42

Pool Hall Richard wrote:
ChrisChopping wrote:One of the most interesting things about the whole Get Back sessions to me:

just started 3rd episode and george hasnt really pushed his songs forward, only I Me Mine, For You Blue and All Things Must Pass. But he had so much more in his locker, and some of those from his solo album album are better and already written.

Yeah but the reception they get isn’t encouraging. If John and Paul had shown and interest or even asked what else he had I’m sure he’d have been willing to show them.

Return to “Yakety Yak”