How many blues drummers made a name for themselves

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: How many blues drummers made a name for themselves

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Apr 2021, 17:16

Hear, hear for Blakey and Roach - saw both live and was even lucky to chat with Blakey between sets at Ronnie Scott's back in the good old days. To be honest, I had never even heard of Big Eyes Smith before picking up the CD, it just looked good.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 19 Apr 2021, 18:32

modharper wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:There's also Sam Lay, of course. That none of them fronted a band doesn't really mean anything to me.

Sam Lay did/does have his own band - not a commercially successful one - but his Nick Gravenites-produced 1969 solo album is well worth checking out.

Fair enough! :D
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 19 Apr 2021, 18:34

Speaking of power trios and blues drummers. I always love hearing the Jelly Roll Kings, who had a distinctive drummer in Sam Carr. This came out in the 90s.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.