The Byrds

Do talk back
robertff

Re: The Byrds

Postby robertff » 01 Jul 2022, 19:03

Love the Byrds, one of my very favourite bands. They made some very great records and created sounds and styles that others still copy. It is true that most, if not all, of their albums contain a dubious track or two but the rest easily counterbalances that. Crumbs even most of the Beatles’ and Stones’ albums contain the odd under par effort or two - most albums by most artists I would suggest.

They created styles, changed styles and then changed again. I can understand why some don’t like the albums following Notorious and why they might not appeal but in my mind, right to the end, all of their albums have something worthy about them.

Whilst Buffalo Springfield are great and I love their albums, their body of work isn’t as great as that of the Byrds, not to my ears anyway.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Jul 2022, 19:49

robertff wrote:Whilst Buffalo Springfield are great and I love their albums, their body of work isn’t as great as that of the Byrds, not to my ears anyway.

I would agree. Actually, their three albums sort of mirror The Byrds' album career in miniature: a solid and fresh-sounding but not fully mature debut, then a less consistent but more creative and experimental period, then a still interesting but less exciting and cohesive denouement.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 01 Jul 2022, 22:08

robertff wrote:
Whilst Buffalo Springfield are great and I love their albums, their body of work isn’t as great as that of the Byrds, not to my ears anyway.

agree

When it comes to the 70's its the members other bands or solo work that I enjoy more than the Byrds.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 Jul 2022, 15:15

I guess there are weak tracks, but I just like hearing them do what they do. Those sounds, those voices — it doesn't matter if that "Captain Soul" isn't great. It sounds great and it's not too long, and the phenomenal "John Riley" is just around the corner.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 03 Jul 2022, 06:03

Seems like you're in that area where one particular listen, one particular night, and it could just suddenly click for you. It happened to me with the blues, it happened to me with Iron Maiden, and most recently Elvis. I've considered myself an Elvis fan for years now, but a few days ago I pulled out that #1 collection, and when it got to "Hound Dog" -- literally the first song I ever knew by him -- it was like I was hearing it for the first time ever! So, I guess speaking of music in general that you're halfway on, give it another try someday.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Jul 2022, 13:35

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Jul 2022, 15:23

pcqgod wrote:Seems like you're in that area where one particular listen, one particular night, and it could just suddenly click for you. It happened to me with the blues, it happened to me with Iron Maiden, and most recently Elvis. I've considered myself an Elvis fan for years now, but a few days ago I pulled out that #1 collection, and when it got to "Hound Dog" -- literally the first song I ever knew by him -- it was like I was hearing it for the first time ever!

Welcome!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Jul 2022, 18:04

This looks really cool.

https://www.bmgbooks.com/products/the-byrds-1964-1967

It's not cheap, but The Byrds were IMO as photogenic as The Beatles, Traffic, and the Stones. So many incredible shots of them, and with commentary from McGuinn, Hillman, and the Cros on all the shots, this is something I'm definitely getting.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Jul 2022, 19:17

Quaco wrote:This looks really cool.

It's not cheap, but The Byrds were IMO as photogenic as The Beatles, Traffic, and the Stones. So many incredible shots of them, and with commentary from McGuinn, Hillman, and the Cros on all the shots, this is something I'm definitely getting.

I usually avoid such things, but that is very, very tempting.

The most expensive option (by far) comes with a "fine art print" - your choice of Crosby, McGuinn, or Hillman.
    a) Why not a choice photo of the whole band?
    b) They show thumbnails of the three photos on offer, and I can't imagine anyone in their right mind paying an extra grand-plus to have all of them, let alone any one of them.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Jul 2022, 22:23

Charlie O. wrote:
Quaco wrote:This looks really cool.

I usually avoid such things, but that is very, very tempting.

The most expensive option (by far) comes with a "fine art print" - your choice of Crosby, McGuinn, or Hillman.
    a) Why not a choice photo of the whole band?
    b) They show thumbnails of the three photos on offer, and I can't imagine anyone in their right mind paying an extra grand-plus to have all of them, let alone any one of them.

Oddly, that fine art print of Hillman isn't a great shot. Looks like a snapshot!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 Jul 2022, 23:26

Much has been said about The Byrds' albums, how they're either very short (of the first five albums, the first one is that longest, at 31 minutes) or have throwaway tracks (e.g., instrumentals, joke tracks, subpar stuff) when they had other recordings that would have been better.

Listening to Younger Than Yesterday er yesterday and it's certainly true that it's short and that some of the other tracks from the time — "It Happens Each Day", "Lady Friend" — would have fit nicely on the record. But I realized something that's always bothered me about that record: it's not the presence of "Mind Gardens", but rather that of "My Back Pages". I love their version, but it doesn't really fit on the album, at least not on side two. Maybe earlier in the sequence, or maybe a standalone single.

Thoughts?

P.S. "Mind Gardens" is an Incredible String Band piss-take, no?

P.P.S. Which version of "Why" do you prefer?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Jul 2022, 23:45

I would drop "My Back Pages" full stop. There are elements of it that I like, but McGuinn's lead vocal is disinterested and awkward and the harmonies are pretty rote for them. (It's better than "Don't Make Waves", though!)

Not crazy about Crosby's vocal on "Mind Gardens" either, but at the very least it's an interesting experiment. The ISB comparison hadn't occurred to me - it's a valid comparison, but as for it being a piss-take, no, I don't think so. If "Mind Gardens" had come out sometime after The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, then maybe!

I love all three versions of "Why". I suspect the single version is the "best," but I heard the album version first and I love the intro and if for some stupid reason I could only have one, that would probably be it.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 19 Jul 2022, 00:14

Quaco wrote:Much has been said about The Byrds' albums, how they're either very short (of the first five albums, the first one is that longest, at 31 minutes) or have throwaway tracks (e.g., instrumentals, joke tracks, subpar stuff) when they had other recordings that would have been better.

Listening to Younger Than Yesterday er yesterday and it's certainly true that it's short and that some of the other tracks from the time — "It Happens Each Day", "Lady Friend" — would have fit nicely on the record. But I realized something that's always bothered me about that record: it's not the presence of "Mind Gardens", but rather that of "My Back Pages". I love their version, but it doesn't really fit on the album, at least not on side two. Maybe earlier in the sequence, or maybe a standalone single.

Thoughts?

P.S. "Mind Gardens" is an Incredible String Band piss-take, no?

P.P.S. Which version of "Why" do you prefer?

Why" [Alternate RCA Version] - the bonus track version on the Fifth Dimension re-issue, I like the vocal mix better, sounds almost Who-like - the YTY version is too fast.

I like Mind Gardens but its oddly placed on Side Two , maybe it should be the last song (I like the alternate version better too)

Current Byrds obsession is Gunga Din - what a great song!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Jul 2022, 00:25

Mike Boom wrote:Current Byrds obsession is Gunga Din - what a great song!

Ballad Of Easy Rider is a modest gem of an album, I think. Though that too could have been improved by outtakes ("Mae Jean Goes To Hollywood" for sure, and probably "Way Behind The Sun" and maybe even "Fiddler A Dram").

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 19 Jul 2022, 00:41

Charlie O. wrote:I would drop "My Back Pages" full stop. There are elements of it that I like, but McGuinn's lead vocal is disinterested and awkward and the harmonies are pretty rote for them. (It's better than "Don't Make Waves", though!)

Thinking about what could go in its place, it does seem to need some McGuinn-ness. I'm not sure it'd be better with "It Happens Each Day" in that spot, so we might have to re-sequence. The "My Back Pages"/"Lady Friend" double A-side might have put them in The Beatles' league though!

Charlie O. wrote:Not crazy about Crosby's vocal on "Mind Gardens" either, but at the very least it's an interesting experiment. The ISB comparison hadn't occurred to me - it's a valid comparison, but as for it being a piss-take, no, I don't think so. If "Mind Gardens" had come out sometime after The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, then maybe!

Crosby could have heard 1,000 Layers and/or seen them, though maybe Hangman's is closer to the style of "Mind Gardens". The reason I thought about it is, listening to the alternate version, the Scottish brogue isn't really there, and it's not really Crosby's style anyway, so maybe it was something that emerged during the session as a bit of a reference to something he'd heard (or was deliberately mocking).

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 19 Jul 2022, 00:44

Mike Boom wrote:"Why" [Alternate RCA Version] - the bonus track version on the Fifth Dimension re-issue, I like the vocal mix better, sounds almost Who-like - the YTY version is too fast.

I like that one, though I prefer the album version, partially because, as Charlie says, it was the first one I heard and loved. I don't really get the single version: it's the least exciting, so I'm sure what they were thinking ...

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 19 Jul 2022, 00:50

Charlie O. wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:Current Byrds obsession is Gunga Din - what a great song!

Ballad Of Easy Rider is a modest gem of an album, I think. Though that too could have been improved by outtakes ("Mae Jean Goes To Hollywood" for sure, and probably "Way Behind The Sun" and maybe even "Fiddler A Dram").

Yeah for sure, I like the whole album including those outtakes, tho I find the version of Baby Blue way too slow, it kind or works, but its such a great song, I miss the faster tempo.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Jul 2022, 02:33

Quaco wrote:Crosby could have heard 1,000 Layers and/or seen them, though maybe Hangman's is closer to the style of "Mind Gardens".

I would bet that Crosby had heard the ISB, but he would almost certainly have only heard the first album - the second hadn't been recorded (or even demo'd) yet, and they hadn't played the States yet. And even 5,000 Spirits has relatively traditional song structures and "normal" melodies for the most part.

David could still have been influenced on some level by Robin's vocal approach, though.

Maybe the ISB were influenced by "Mind Gardens"! :)

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 19 Jul 2022, 03:11

Can we also marvel at the conciseness of "So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star"? It does so much, is a fabulous beginning, is a classic by anyone's standards, and all in two minutes. I mean they must have been pretty happy when they got that one in the can. "I think this'll do as the album opener." :) Revolver-like — but maybe better??

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 19 Jul 2022, 03:12

Charlie O. wrote:
Quaco wrote:Crosby could have heard 1,000 Layers and/or seen them, though maybe Hangman's is closer to the style of "Mind Gardens".

I would bet that Crosby had heard the ISB, but he would almost certainly have only heard the first album - the second hadn't been recorded (or even demo'd) yet, and they hadn't played the States yet. And even 5,000 Spirits has relatively traditional song structures and "normal" melodies for the most part.

David could still have been influenced on some level by Robin's vocal approach, though.

Maybe the ISB were influenced by "Mind Gardens"! :)

Ha! I like this idea!

Return to “Yakety Yak”