Pop Covers and Soundalike Compilations of the 60's and 70's

Do talk back
LMG
Gentleman Thug

Pop Covers and Soundalike Compilations of the 60's and 70's

Postby LMG » 15 Jul 2014, 10:24

I have always been fascinated by these - LPs and EPs of then-current chart-topping hits recorded by then-unknown musicians and put out at a sub-budget price by a range of labels, usually with a young lovely gracing the cover and a 'fabtastic' title.

As well as the more recognisable Music For Pleasure label, there were other unconnected labels involved, including Avenue Records and Contour Records.

As many rock fans will know, some of the unknown musicians involved later went on to fame in their own right - David Bowie, Elton John, Thin Lizzy. There are some releases of the cover/soundalike material put out under the artist's recognisable name:

This link offers detailed research into the sessions recorded by David Byron, later of Uriah Heep (who it appears recorded covers sessions right up until the band's second album sessions):

http://www.travellersintime.com/Byron/D ... eInfo.html

There is some interesting information there, especially if you click on the coloured tabs at the top, as well as some frightening levels of details. And the chance to hear clips of the Heep singer with Elton John and Dana Gillespie doing a fair version of Badfinger's 'Come and Get It'.

If you have read this far, enjoy!
Last edited by LMG on 15 Jul 2014, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Deebank
Resonator

Re: Pop Covers and Soundalike Compilations of the 60's and 7

Postby Deebank » 15 Jul 2014, 10:30

I like the idea of someone covering (presumably) Don Estelle and Windsor Davies's version of Whispering Grass :lol:

"Sing Lofty boy!"

I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 15 Jul 2014, 23:33

I'm sure the one I had had a version of Gary Gilmore's Eyes on it (and Silver Lady) so I went looking for it.

Here it is

http://topofthepopslps.weebly.com/uk-vol-61.html

Didn't find any audio ....but

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Jul 2014, 23:36

I also remember they'd have ones dedicated to single artists too. My mate had one ''Top of the Poppers Play T.Rex'. We'd listen to that round his house for hours, we loved it, it didn't matter to us that it wasn't the original music..terrible really!

JQW

Postby JQW » 16 Jul 2014, 00:48

Budget label cover releases started in late 1954, when Woolworths introduced their Embassy label. These were 78s featuring a cover version of current chart hit on both sides, and which retailed for about half the standard retail price of a single. Artists were always credited on the label, but these tended to be pseudonyms, with some of their acts using several. They switched to 45s somewhat later. Recordings were made at the studios of Oriole records, who ran the label and pressed the records.

The label lasted long enough to witness the early days of Beatlemania, with Beatles covers credited to The Typhoons, a catch-all name for many group recordings made for Embassy. The label only ended when CBS bought out Oriole around the end of 1964, when CBS were looking for their own UK studios and pressing plant.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Jul 2014, 09:40

Deebank wrote:I like the idea of someone covering (presumably) Don Estelle and Windsor Davies's version of Whispering Grass :lol:

"Sing Lofty boy!"

I've thought about this and I fervently believe that Davies actually invented rap. Check it out...

I bet this was blaring out in Sugar Hill!

Gil Scott who!?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 16 Jul 2014, 10:00

Funnily enough, this practice has been revived in the digital age. Soundalike versions of hits such as 'I Kissed A Girl' and 'Call Me Maybe' (credited to pseudonymous names) have even charted in the UK. These hastily-recorded versions are churned out quickly and sometimes are placed on iTunes and other digital download sites before the 'real' version is released. Even after you can buy the official version, these covers ensnare punters who aren't paying attention to which version they're downloading.

Return to “Yakety Yak”