57%
Kodak
43%

Total votes: 7

Bungo the Mungo

old Shell vs old Kodak logos

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 Apr 2011, 17:58

For me, two of the most beautiful examples of 20th Century design:

I couldn't find the exact one I wanted, which has a slightly different font - with serifs - and was introduced in 1971

Which one?

Any other OLD examples you like?

TG

Re: old Shell vs old Kodak logos

Postby TG » 14 Apr 2011, 18:11

Another old gasoline company logo that I loved as a kid -

And one of my favorite Elektra Records band logos (from when every Elektra band had their own)

Is 1969 considered old enough?
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 Apr 2011, 18:25

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 14 Apr 2011, 19:09

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Apr 2011, 19:11

Tough choice, but from the poll, Kodak for me. I also love the old Pepsi logo, why did they have to go and change that?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Geoff
Abba Fan

Postby Geoff » 14 Apr 2011, 19:29

GoogaMooga wrote:Tough choice, but from the poll, Kodak for me. I also love the old Pepsi logo, why did they have to go and change that?

Seems like they change it every 6 weeks, doesn't it?
megeoff.blogspot.ca

Pepito

Postby Pepito » 14 Apr 2011, 19:37

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Apr 2011, 19:59

Geoff wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Tough choice, but from the poll, Kodak for me. I also love the old Pepsi logo, why did they have to go and change that?

yes, it's almost schizophrenic. But they outsell Coca-Cola in the States.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 14 Apr 2011, 20:18

GoogaMooga wrote:
Geoff wrote:

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Apr 2011, 20:26

pat mustard wrote:Image

Great post, Moddie! It's the 1973 logo that has sentimental value for me. I collected stickers as a kid, and have several with that design. Also own an "I love Pepsi" badge with that design.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 14 Apr 2011, 20:30

Yes mine too. The 70's logo had a brightness and confidence about it didn't it? I don't know why they went black.

Billy

Postby Billy » 14 Apr 2011, 20:32

I was going to post one but I can't find it ...

Anyone remember the woolworths/woolco logo that had a mainly light blue and a bit of maroon background (almost like the West Ham colours) (possibly circular) with the word woolworths (or woolco) or maybe just a fancy 'W' in front ...

or am I fucked?

Billy

Postby Billy » 14 Apr 2011, 20:35

thinking about it ... it can't have been that distinctive or memorable :lol:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Apr 2011, 20:35

GoogaMooga wrote:Great post, Moddie! It's the 1973 logo that has sentimental value for me. I collected stickers as a kid, and have several with that design. Also own an "I love Pepsi" badge with that design.

I have a vintage short-sleeved button-down blue and white striped shirt with that logo over the breast pocket. I guess it was what the guys who went around and re-filled the vending machines were given to wear.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Apr 2011, 20:39

Snarfyguy wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Great post, Moddie! It's the 1973 logo that has sentimental value for me. I collected stickers as a kid, and have several with that design. Also own an "I love Pepsi" badge with that design.

I have a vintage short-sleeved button-down blue and white striped shirt with that logo over the breast pocket. I guess it was what the guys who went around and re-filled the vending machines were given to wear.

Wear it in summer - tucked or untucked! ;)

Geoff
Abba Fan

Postby Geoff » 14 Apr 2011, 21:23

GoogaMooga wrote:
Geoff wrote:

Pepsi's marketing back in the early & mid 20th century was twice the amount of cola for the same price as Coke, which would've sold for a nickel or a dime. The company was one of the first-ever 'national' brands to acknowledge & target African-American consumers as a distinct & viable market.
megeoff.blogspot.ca

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Apr 2011, 21:44

name-changing cunt wrote:For me, two of the most beautiful examples of 20th Century design:

I couldn't find the exact one I wanted, which has a slightly different font - with serifs - and was introduced in 1971

Which one?

Any other OLD examples you like?

You'll notice McDonald's is yellow and red or red/orange too. Bic's the other iconic packaging that is flooded with yellow. You can spot Bic packaging from a mile away.

That's because marketing research has shown that yellow and red are the two greatest combination of colors that make stand out on the road or on the shelves.

I mentioned this before, but I will again. I worked with a graphic designer who created the packaging for the pen company I worked for. She loved working in dark colors and hues and I really had to fight to get her to use yellow, red, silver or white in the packaging to make them stand out.

One day I got an old retail pegboard from out of the warehouse, dusted it off, and bought all of our competitors products---all of which were different combinations of yellow, red, silver, white designs. One one hand, I wanted to see if the designer was right and our product packaging stood out in contrast, but on the other hand, I just wanted to see them up against the others.

When finished, our dark packaging disappeared into the rows because those colors just don't work in point-of-purchase. I called them down from San Francisco to come take a look and even they had to admit the dark colors didn't work as well as the traditional POP colors.

My point is you can be a great graphic designer but you have to know what you're trying to do and the context in which consumers are going to be looking at your product and choosing it against others.

On the radio station I listen to, an auto parts retailer, Kragen-O'Reilly, advertises their product. I'm almost certain the name came because of a merger, but they should change it either Kragen or O'Reilly Auto Parts to make it more memorable. Especially if radio is a dominant method of advertising. Even if it's not, they should pick their poison.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Geoff
Abba Fan

Postby Geoff » 14 Apr 2011, 21:59

The old UPS logo was genius; a shield which denotes safety/security etc. with the top portion as a string-tied parcel.
The Canadian National Railway's 'worm' is an iconic logo in this country's graphic design industry.
megeoff.blogspot.ca

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 14 Apr 2011, 22:43

pat mustard wrote:Yes mine too. The 70's logo had a brightness and confidence about it didn't it? I don't know why they went black.

I've heard that they're going back to the '73 logo.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 15 Apr 2011, 09:13

I'm not sure it's the best, but one of the most interesting and "appropriate" is the Playboy bunny i think. How they came up with the concept i have no idea, but it is a stroke of genius, combining the playfulness, sexiness and distinctiveness in one stroke - a bunny in a tuxedo. genius.

also, you can't argue with the impact of this, which almost single-handedly overturned the image of NYC as a downtrodden, violent, poor city to a great tourist destination and a place to live and love.

Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Nextdoorland”