The Emitt Rhodes Recordings (1969 - 1973)

Do talk back
pcqgod

Re: The Emitt Rhodes Recordings (1969 - 1973)

Postby pcqgod » 12 Jan 2011, 04:50

I'm on the fence about getting that. I already have the Merry-Go-Round compilation 'Listen Listen' and the 'Daisy Fresh from Hawthorne' compilation, so I have most of the material on that. I guess if I can get it on the cheap I'll eventually give in.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 12 Jan 2011, 07:25

Sadly, Emitt is a very bitter man these days, but with good reason, I'd say.

But the music is great. Wish they'd reissue the actual albums again.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

B

Postby B » 13 Jan 2011, 05:37

Balboa wrote:I can't think of anyone else who is more immediately likeable/great than Emitt Rhodes.

Exactly. His first album is one of those go-to LPs I put on when I have people over at the house and it works every time. Either people know it and love it or don't know it and get into it right away.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 13 Jan 2011, 07:42

king feeb wrote:Sadly, Emitt is a very bitter man these days, but with good reason, I'd say.

What's the story? Did his career get sabotaged or something?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 13 Jan 2011, 09:41

Snarfyguy wrote:What's the story? Did his career get sabotaged or something?

http://cityplanning.tumblr.com/post/150 ... mit-rhodes

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 02 Feb 2011, 23:08

I used to have Emitt Rhodes a long time ago, but I guess I didn't love it as much as I expected. But thanks to Matt W loaning it to me recently, I hear about four songs that I really like, and the rest is good too. He also loaned me the complete A&M recordings - everything by The Merry-Go-Round plus Rhodes' American Dream, and out of all of these, I managed to cobble together a truly stellar 16-song comp that clocks in at exactly 40 minutes.

Any of you familiar with his other two, Mirror and Farewell To Paradise? I used to see Mirror in second-hand bins a lot, but never picked it up. I never even knew Farewell existed until I saw it mentioned on the internet.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 02 Feb 2011, 23:28

zoomboogity wrote:
Any of you familiar with his other two, Mirror and Farewell To Paradise? I used to see Mirror in second-hand bins a lot, but never picked it up. I never even knew Farewell existed until I saw it mentioned on the internet.

Funnily enough I bought a sealed copy of 'Mirror' last year for something daft like £2 - never been played. I'm not sure if I played it though!
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 02 Feb 2011, 23:48

Let me know when you do!

In other news...

http://www.richardthompson-music.com/ca ... sp?id=1173

Emitt has been recording again with a band that includes Merry-Go-Round drummer Joel Larson. The above link is from a year ago, and nothing has been released yet, so we shall see (or not).

Fairport Convention - Time Will Show The Wiser

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 03 Sep 2011, 20:23

Emitt Rhodes - Bachelor #2!

Last edited by zoomboogity on 15 Feb 2012, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 04 Sep 2011, 00:52

Read my blog - The Delete Bin

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 14 Sep 2011, 06:16

Balboa wrote:Funnily enough I bought a sealed copy of 'Mirror' last year for something daft like £2 - never been played. I'm not sure if I played it though!

How does the rest of the album compare to this one?

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 28 Dec 2011, 01:18

I just picked this up, and yes, Really Wanted You is definitely the highlight on Mirror. Farewell To Paradise is really good too - it might even be the strongest overall of the three Dunhill albums.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Dec 2011, 03:45

It'll Be Molony This Christmas wrote:I have, of course, taken advantage of the lower pricing here. Why is it so difficult to buy the actual albums though? I have them in, erm, virtual format but it would be great to have the real thing(s).

His first two solo albums are not that hard to find on vinyl believe it or not. Me, I bought his first solo album when it was released and still have it. You're not far off from being right Adam. McCartney should have at the very least done some co-writes with Emmit.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 21 Jan 2012, 08:08

Three new songs at Emitt's ITunes store!

[EDIT: these songs were removed from ITunes at Emitt's request]

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 14 Feb 2012, 01:52

It looks like we're on for an interview this weekend.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Feb 2012, 04:17

Alright!

Did you listen to the FMU interview?

Did anybody besides me listen to it?

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 14 Feb 2012, 08:01

Yeah, I listened to it, and more than once. I'm glad I did - it gave me a better idea of where to go with this. You can tell how the interviewer asked what he thought was a cute and innocent question about Emitt's early band, then all THAT shit comes out. "Boy, did I just step in it!"

He goes into that a bit more in this interview, with an update on what happened to the poor guy 40+ years later. Not a happy tale. When the article appeared in their magazine, there were several photos from Emitt's scrapbook which have been collected here.

The sense I get that he enjoys talking, but not so much about the fanboy minutiae of his career and things he barely remembers from forty years ago. So we have a few things to ask about, but basically we're taking him out for an early birthday dinner and letting things flow where they may.

One thing I want to ask him is if he has any memories of the Fantasy Fair And Magic Mountain Music Festival, which was held a week before the Monterey Pop Festival. It was a pretty star-studded event, but unlike Monterey, there were no film crews. This is the concert that Ry Cooder mentions in the Beefheart documentary when he played his last gig with The Magic Band. I don't expect him to recall it in great detail, but it seems worth bringing up, seeing as the whole event just seems to have been lost to history. Did any of the bands even get audio recordings of their sets?

When I spoke with him on the phone to arrange this, he seemed to be in pretty good spirits, much better than that WFMU interview and CityBeat article I linked further up the page. Finally getting paid for his work probably has something to do with it (as well it should). I've done a few of these over the years, although not in a long while, and I think that what's more important is what you don't ask. Once they know you're not going to put them on the spot, they relax and open up, answering all the cool questions you didn't even think to ask.

Oh, and this is for the new site bobzilla is doing, http://www.thelosangelesbeat.com . Bob's friend is the official interviewer, I'm just tagging along to add my joy de veever and jenny say quah.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Feb 2012, 19:42

zoomboogity wrote:One thing I want to ask him is if he has any memories of the Fantasy Fair And Magic Mountain Music Festival, which was held a week before the Monterey Pop Festival. It was a pretty star-studded event, but unlike Monterey, there were no film crews. This is the concert that Ry Cooder mentions in the Beefheart documentary when he played his last gig with The Magic Band. I don't expect him to recall it in great detail, but it seems worth bringing up, seeing as the whole event just seems to have been lost to history. Did any of the bands even get audio recordings of their sets?

Don't know about that but a great unknown photographer snapped some wonderful pictures...

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 19 Feb 2012, 03:13

Well. That was a blast! A lot of the usual stuff has been covered in previous interviews, so we didn't worry about going over it again, just let the conversation and tangents flow. He certainly seemed to have a good time. The only drag is that he wished a guitar was handy so he could play some new songs, which would have been most cool. But he did offer to play us the recorded versions in the future, so this whole thing may not be done quite yet.

We'll link it here after it gets transcribed, but for now, I'll say that it was nice to see him in such good spirits. Life seems to be treating him a little better these days.

And he wasn't aware of When I Pray by Todd Rundgren, but thought it was cool when I told him the connection.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Feb 2012, 03:37

zoomboogity wrote:And he wasn't aware of When I Pray by Todd Rundgren, but thought it was cool when I told him the connection.

:?:

Return to “Yakety Yak”