The Godfather of Soul
44%
The Thin White Duke
56%

Total votes: 80

Davey the Fat Boy

David Bowie vs. James Brown

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 28 Jul 2010, 19:19

The "greatest solo artist (after Dylan)" has me scratching my head. I thought a head to head matchup might be in order.

Who do you choose? And how do you justify your choice?

Finally - let's dispense with voting for the guy who you prefer because their music got you laid or some such nonsense. Choose the one you judge to be the greater artist.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Re: David Bowie vs. James Brown

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jul 2010, 19:26

JB. but, it must be said that "Hot" owes something to "Fame" and that's a feather in a thin, white cap.
I'm one of those guys who thinks JB was like Halley's Comet or something.
I doubt we'll see the likes of him again.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Jul 2010, 19:29

Sneelock wrote:JB. but, it must be said that "Hot" owes something to "Fame" and that's a feather in a thin, white cap.

I thought it was supposed to be the other way around; that Bowie (or Carlos Alomar or whoever) copped the Fame lick from a JB record.

I've been watching some of those JB 1968 DVDs recently. Ridiculously great!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

der nister

Postby der nister » 28 Jul 2010, 19:34

usual lamb to slaughter
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jul 2010, 19:36

Alomar says he played "fame" on The Dick Cavett Show with Bowie in '74 & "hot" was released in '75.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2010, 19:38

To be honest this is the last thread I'm interested in, I don't think BCB is capable of discussing either rationally. Besides haven't we had this one before?
It might be more interesting to pair Brown against Marvin Gaye.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Jul 2010, 19:39

As much as I dislike everything Bowie's done since 1979 (just in case anyone's missed all 10,000 times that I've said so) to dismiss him from the list of greatest solo artists is absurd. His influence on the entirety of the 1970s- from end to end- is absolutely staggering. When I have more time I'm going to go to the other thread and say so.

That said, Brown's influence is not restricted to one decade, or even less so, to the western world, as Bowie's unquestionably is. Even if that weren't so, his peak started earlier and lasted longer, and as an all-around performer, he's given the world more direct, visceral excitement than the more detached appreciation even his fans have for Bowie. I certainly want to stress the importance of not underrating Bowie, but he's up against a giant here. I don't have to think about this much.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2010, 19:41

toomanyhatz wrote:As much as I dislike everything Bowie's done since 1979 (just in case anyone's missed all 10,000 times that I've said so) to dismiss him from the list of greatest solo artists is absurd. His influence on the entirety of the 1970s- from end to end- is absolutely staggering. When I have more time I'm going to go to the other thread and say so.

That said, Brown's influence is not restricted to one decade, or even less so, to the western world, as Bowie's unquestionably is. Even if that weren't so, his peak started earlier and lasted longer, and as an all-around performer, he's given the world more direct, visceral excitement than the more detached appreciation even his fans have for Bowie. I certainly want to stress the importance of not underrating Bowie, but he's up against a giant here. I don't have to think about this much.

Ah, you've disproved my post by discussing this rationally!
Fair points.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2010, 19:42

I'm going to go for Bowie because I'd say there's greater musicality and creativity there. But on a board that was weighted towards Bowie, I might very well make the argument for Brown.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 28 Jul 2010, 19:46

The Modernist wrote:I'm going to go for Bowie because I'd say there's greater musicality and creativity there.

:shock:

:?
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

der nister

Postby der nister » 28 Jul 2010, 19:47

Nolamike wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I'm going to go for Bowie because I'd say there's greater musicality and creativity there.

for British males of a certain age :lol:

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Jul 2010, 19:47

zphage wrote:
Nolamike wrote:

for British males of a certain age :lol:

British females too.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2010, 19:50

and so the sneering starts. :roll:

I'll leave this thread to Zphage. BCB gets the posters it deserves on these things I'm afraid.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Jul 2010, 19:53

I'm tired of talking. Let's dance.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Jul 2010, 19:53

The Modernist wrote:and so the sneering starts. :roll:

I'll leave this thread to Zphage. BCB gets the posters it deserves on these things I'm afraid.

There's been no sneering.

And why have you absolutely nothing to say regarding Slider's comments about America on the other thread?

Your blind spots always amuse, G.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Jul 2010, 19:54

Sneelock wrote:Alomar says he played "fame" on The Dick Cavett Show with Bowie in '74 & "hot" was released in '75.

Yes. JB copped that from Bowie.

Guess which I voted for?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

der nister

Postby der nister » 28 Jul 2010, 19:55

Bowie has lost threads against:

George Clinton

Van Morrison

Elton John

Elvis

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2010, 19:57

There haven't been Bowie threads against half those artists.

Josef Tay
Back with a vengeance much in vogue

Postby Josef Tay » 28 Jul 2010, 19:59

I voted for Bowie. James Brown could arguably be given the award for being the most influential in the long run, but musically, he was a bit of a one-trick pony, wasn't he? I realise that when he was at the top of his game, he was phenomonal (almost as good as Otis Redding, some might say :wink:), but I honestly don't hear a lot of difference in his music, regardless of which part of his career it comes from.

Bowie was stylistically all over the shop - accusations of pilfering and recycling, be damned! - and just more interesting to my ears.
martha wrote:"Teaches my kid that if they try anything on their own they will fail and that they must have help in everything or disaster will befall them. The music irritates me too as does the ducks lisp."

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 28 Jul 2010, 20:02

The Modernist wrote:and so the sneering starts. :roll:

I'm not sneering, I just totally disagree with the statement that Bowie was more "creative" than JB, who basically created a whole new genre of music on his own, and became (and remains) one of the two or three most influential acts of the last 50 years.

Musicality, well, that's a bit of a squishy term, and seeing as how open to interpretation it can be, well, I don't know if a real argument can be made for JB or DB in this regard.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Return to “Yakety Yak”