Metal Box vs Second Edition

Do talk back
jimjim

Metal Box vs Second Edition

Postby jimjim » 13 Dec 2009, 21:38

Unless I save up for it, I'm probably never going to be able to afford a copy of Metal Box on vinyl. I know many here have praised the sound on the original vinyl issue over and above its CD counterpart but even the re-issued version from a few years back goes for 100 GBP+ on Amazon.

However, its twin sister Second Edition seems to be readily available on LP at a reasonable price - both 2nd hand and new. Now, I'm seem to remember someone said that PiL remixed the tracks for this version and hence it is radically different to MB. Is that right? I hope not as this might be an easier way on getting my hands on Poptones, Careering, Albatross et al in top quality.

By the way, is the CD of MB a good version of the original album?

If it's me and yer granny on bongos, it's still The Fall

der nister

Re: Metal Box vs Second Edition

Postby der nister » 13 Dec 2009, 21:43

Metal Box UK Cd was mastered under Lydon's supervision. It has more punch and musicality.

Yet vinyl really is the way to go.

Heard mixed reviews of Four Men reissue on vinyl.

The original vinyl still stands as apex.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

der nister

Postby der nister » 13 Dec 2009, 23:11

goldwax wrote:
zphage wrote:
Heard mixed reviews of Four Men reissue on vinyl.

I have it and it sounds great to me. I don't have the original to compare it to, though.

warpage issues,

digitally sourced
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 14 Dec 2009, 02:56

I used to have the Metal Box, and it did sound real good. But it was a big pain in the ass to get the discs out of the can without scratching them or getting your fingerprints on them. Also, the side with "Poptones" always had some kind of annoying surface noise on it right from the beginning, maybe just a bad pressing. So I sold it a few years ago for a nice profit. 8-)

I never thought the original US vinyl double-album version sounded significantly worse... it's better than the standard CD issue at least. If you can find one used, that might be the way to go, since the original Metal Box goes for silly money these days.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 14 Dec 2009, 04:18

My Metal Box is the reissue and it's fine. I have heard the original, but I find the reissue to be fine. I got it for about $30, IIRC.

Here it is for $60. Get it. http://cgi.ebay.com/Public-Image-Limited-Metal-Box-12-Mint-recent-reissue_W0QQitemZ270481031448QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item3ef9ed0118
the Eagles suck.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Dec 2009, 05:58

good king feebeslas wrote:I used to have the Metal Box, and it did sound real good. But it was a big pain in the ass to get the discs out of the can without scratching them or getting your fingerprints on them. Also, the side with "Poptones" always had some kind of annoying surface noise on it right from the beginning, maybe just a bad pressing. So I sold it a few years ago for a nice profit. 8-)

I never thought the original US vinyl double-album version sounded significantly worse... it's better than the standard CD issue at least.

I agree with all of this, but I've only played Metal Box sparingly, like maybe three or four times since it came out. I make do with a Japanese CD I got in the early 90s - it sounds pretty good. The original US LP pressing is fine, I thought. I haven't dusted it off in a while, though.

A good friend of mine destroyed his copy of Second Edition on the spot after hearing it, back in the day. Pretty extreme reaction.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 14 Dec 2009, 11:49

I've always wondered why the running order was changed for Second Edition. Anyone?
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Return to “Yakety Yak”