the Pink Floyd hate thread

Do talk back
Bungo the Mungo

the Pink Floyd hate thread

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 05 Mar 2008, 11:06

Time and again I've tried, but a more tedious band I've yet to come across.

It truly foxes me how they managed to become huge. I really don't get it at all. Their music lacks pretty much every quality that makes good music good.

I despise them.

You?

Tom Violence
Superchod

Re: the Pink Floyd hate thread

Postby Tom Violence » 05 Mar 2008, 11:13

I love Barrett's Floyd.

I love the wilderness years after barrett left (Sauceful & More).

I can tolerate the classic Floyd (Meddle & Dark Side of the Moon). i can see the appeal even if its not really my cup of tea.

After that I don't like em. They manage to go through two more incarnations, but both as awful, unimaginative and lame as each other (the Waters led 'Final Cut' Floyd' and the truly shocking post Waters Floyd).

In short it's a fairly linear downhill slope shaped career for me.
Last edited by Tom Violence on 05 Mar 2008, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 05 Mar 2008, 11:17

I don't care enough to despise them, but yeah, I find few musical experiences as utterly joyless as listening to Pink Floyd.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 05 Mar 2008, 11:39

I have their Echoes compilation, which currently is enough for me. I love a handful of their songs which are handily included on that comp (Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun, Comfortably Numb, Another Brick in the Wall pt II) but have never really felt the need to explore much further.

Mind you, to a fair extent I'm still recovering from the punk prejudice of my younger years which led me to dismiss anything remotely proggy without even listening to it. So maybe in a few years when this indoctrination has faded a bit more I'll be exploring further :lol:
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 11:42

They plod and they plod and plod and they PLOD and pLoD and I can't TAKE IT anymore.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 05 Mar 2008, 11:43

Love 'em
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 05 Mar 2008, 11:46

Best band ever.
I run out of talent

Spenny

Postby Spenny » 05 Mar 2008, 11:50

Kasp! You're talking shit mate. Utterly apalling band. I know it's a cliche, but i do love the early Syd stuff 'cos i love Syd, simple as. But Waters is such a self pitying twat, i find it painful to listen to.

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 11:53

He can pity himself all he wants as long as he makes some slightly engaging music.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 05 Mar 2008, 11:53

olivetti wrote:Love 'em

Why? in twenty words or less... :P

Doctor Jimmy
Continental Fuckwit

Postby Doctor Jimmy » 05 Mar 2008, 11:54

Last New Year's Eve a very, very drunk acquaintance was boring me with a monologue on the sheer brilliance of Pink Floyd. After about ten minutes - yes, I have a lot of patience - I started interjecting that they made 1.5 good albums and that everything else they did is shit, whereupon he had the guts to praise The Wall and The Division Bell. This is exactly how the conversation continued:
Me: The Wall: utter utter shit. The Division Bell: even more shit than utter, utter shit.
He: You obviously don't understand the deeper meaning of Pink Floyd.
Me: Yes, I do. It's utter, utter shit.
He: Saying that proves that you've never listened to them properly. Have you ever gone cruising in your car while listening to Pink Floyd?
Me: Not of my own free will. I have heard quite a few of their songs while driving though.
He: And?
Me: Utter, utter shit.
He: What kind of car stereo do you own.
Me: Just a regular Pioneer thingy.
He: Oh, that's shit.
Me: Not as shit as Pink Floyd though.
He: What brand of car do you drive?
Me: A Volkswagen. Why?
He: Ah, that's where the problem lies. You should listen to Pink Floyd in a Mercedes. With leather seats. Then you'll understand.

I tell you, at that point it took all of my mental strength not to punch him in the face.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 05 Mar 2008, 12:00

Doctor Jimmy wrote:Last New Year's Eve a very, very drunk acquaintance was boring me with a monologue on the sheer brilliance of Pink Floyd. After about ten minutes - yes, I have a lot of patience - I started interjecting that they made 1.5 good albums and that everything else they did is shit, whereupon he had the guts to praise The Wall and The Division Bell. This is exactly how the conversation continued:
Me: The Wall: utter utter shit. The Division Bell: even more shit than utter, utter shit.
He: You obviously don't understand the deeper meaning of Pink Floyd.
Me: Yes, I do. It's utter, utter shit.
He: Saying that proves that you've never listened to them properly. Have you ever gone cruising in your car while listening to Pink Floyd?
Me: Not of my own free will. I have heard quite a few of their songs while driving though.
He: And?
Me: Utter, utter shit.
He: What kind of car stereo do you own.
Me: Just a regular Pioneer thingy.
He: Oh, that's shit.
Me: Not as shit as Pink Floyd though.
He: What brand of car do you drive?
Me: A Volkswagen. Why?
He: Ah, that's where the problem lies. You should listen to Pink Floyd in a Mercedes. With leather seats. Then you'll understand.

I tell you, at that point it took all of my mental strength not to punch him in the face.

I don't remember talking to you, then.
I run out of talent

Postby Insouciant Western People » 05 Mar 2008, 12:02

angshu wrote:They plod and they plod and plod and they PLOD and pLoD

True, but then that's their raison d'etre. I think Ian McDonald summed it up perfectly in Uncut a few years ago, when he said that ''musically and emotionally, they're the heart of middle England. To dismiss them as dinosaurs is to miss a troubling truth, which is that millions of people identify deeply with this sad and essentially resigned music''

In that sense, to me they're the most English band ever.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 12:10

I guess I expect my art to rise above the awful, debilitating repetitiveness and boredom of my daily life.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 05 Mar 2008, 12:14

Piss Poor Coan.

Floyd are too easy a target FFS.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 05 Mar 2008, 12:15

Sir John Coan wrote:
olivetti wrote:Love 'em

Why? in twenty words or less... :P

I like them, you dont!
End of discussion :-)
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Postby Insouciant Western People » 05 Mar 2008, 12:18

angshu wrote:I guess I expect my art to rise above the awful, debilitating repetitiveness and boredom of my daily life.

But I think it does, in the same way that the blues helped to make coping with life easier, by articulating worries and concerns (not of course, that I'm comparing the rigours of Roger Waters' life to those of a 30's Delta bluesman :lol: )

In terms of their emotional aesthetic though, you find this same feeling in the work of Nick Drake, Robert Wyatt and Brian Eno's ambient albums. Radiohead have inherited it in spades, which probably accounts for their being as massively popular as Pink Floyd despite making music which at first glance seems as defiantly uncommercial as anything PF did.

In terms of English aesthetics in popular music, I find that it's this one that I identify with the most - certainly much more than I do with chirpy Londoners, cosmic scousers or Manc wide boys on the make.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 05 Mar 2008, 12:19

Sir John Coan wrote: Their music lacks pretty much every quality that makes good music good.

You are completely right. They are truly, astonishingly, mind-boggling wrong. Like U2 but without the humility.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 05 Mar 2008, 12:21

For me, each album was never quite as good as the one before. But as they started with one of the greatest albums ever that was OK for a while. My jumping-off point was "Echoes" on Meddle. After that it's just music for accountants.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Mar 2008, 12:23

There is no duller 'classic album' than Dark Side Of The Moon. I'd rather listen to Candy and a Currant Bun than ALL of Wish You Were Here. Yes, even the bloody title track. I've ranted about them before on this site so can't be assed again but I just think that musically they are too ponderous and slow witted for me. And The Wall is one of rocks worst ever doubles. How did they ever become so huge? I’m fucked if I know. Well, that’s not strictly true of course.

A lot of it is purely luck and timing of course. They sum up the me decade pretty well I think. The self-pitying morose of The Wall appeals to a certain kind of listener (a tone fucking deaf one obviously). A Saucerful Of Secrets with its subtle reference to UFO’s might have seemed pretty ‘far out’ after a couple of big doobies and a tab of acid back in 1971. They mined that sixties counterculture mystic schtick pretty well. The sleeves, the titles (Saucerful of Secrets, Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun which followed on from Syd’s own Astronomy Domine and Intersteller Overdrive) and of course the magnum opus of English psychedlia, Piper, made them appear to everybody like your classic English psychedelic band even when the more mundane acid-free personalities in the group where about to take over from their confused, space bound leader.

Pink Floyd are smart fuckers, no doubt. Perhaps that’s part of the problem. Perhaps they needed to be less cerebral and more fun-kay. But then funk and Pink Floyd have about as much in common as an Eskimo and Paris Hilton.

As the modern world has increasingly alienated us we have become more isolated and ever more prone to depression and related mental health problems. In Floyd’s world where you ‘hang on in quiet desperation’ perhaps they provide the dreary soundtrack for the estranged souls out there his own introspection is mirrored by the tedious Waters. I dunno. Although, that last passage looks like I’m basically saying people with mental health problems like The Floyd. :lol:
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Yakety Yak”