Liverpool - May 21st 2022

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Liverpool - May 21st 2022

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Mar 2022, 15:42

Hurricanes are vegetarian!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 09 Mar 2022, 21:57

Minnie Cheddars wrote:
Livet wrote:Hmmm...I've never been to Liverpool...

Do it!!!

I did it!
The crazy music drives you insane

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 10 Mar 2022, 08:25

Well done Livet! Liverpool is a great town - I went to university there nearly 40 years ago. The centre has changed a lot since then, and the waterfront has opened up a lot. Amid all the Beatles stuff and drinking, take a ferry cross the Mersey, and visit the two cathedrals (the Anglican is one of the greatest buildings in Britain, the Catholic a modernist masterpiece - both built in the 20th century). If you have a bit more time, take a train out to Crosby beach to see the Anthony Gormley statues.

Also crucial sites to visit are the shop on the corner of Smithdown Road and Avondale Road [on checking, this seems to be a record shop now! In my day it was a typewriter shop]; and Grove Park, a street of big houses off Lodge Lane (or it might be called Sefton Park Road at that point). These are the places I lived when at university! [Note - you don't really need to go to these places].

A few years ago I went on one of the minibus Beatles tours. It was pretty good, really - past the childhood homes of the lads, Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, the church in where John and Paul met etc. We liked it.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 10 Mar 2022, 13:05

Livet wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:
Livet wrote:Hmmm...I've never been to Liverpool...

Do it!!!

I did it!

Ace news :)
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 10 Mar 2022, 13:07

Positive Passion wrote:Well done Livet! Liverpool is a great town - I went to university there nearly 40 years ago. The centre has changed a lot since then, and the waterfront has opened up a lot. Amid all the Beatles stuff and drinking, take a ferry cross the Mersey, and visit the two cathedrals (the Anglican is one of the greatest buildings in Britain, the Catholic a modernist masterpiece - both built in the 20th century). If you have a bit more time, take a train out to Crosby beach to see the Anthony Gormley statues.

Also crucial sites to visit are the shop on the corner of Smithdown Road and Avondale Road [on checking, this seems to be a record shop now! In my day it was a typewriter shop]; and Grove Park, a street of big houses off Lodge Lane (or it might be called Sefton Park Road at that point). These are the places I lived when at university! [Note - you don't really need to go to these places].

A few years ago I went on one of the minibus Beatles tours. It was pretty good, really - past the childhood homes of the lads, Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, the church in where John and Paul met etc. We liked it.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 10 Mar 2022, 16:17

The Slider wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:Well done Livet! Liverpool is a great town - I went to university there nearly 40 years ago. The centre has changed a lot since then, and the waterfront has opened up a lot. Amid all the Beatles stuff and drinking, take a ferry cross the Mersey, and visit the two cathedrals (the Anglican is one of the greatest buildings in Britain, the Catholic a modernist masterpiece - both built in the 20th century). If you have a bit more time, take a train out to Crosby beach to see the Anthony Gormley statues.

I am sure you can’t wait to see my former abodes.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 10 Mar 2022, 16:41

Positive Passion wrote:Also crucial sites to visit are the shop on the corner of Smithdown Road and Avondale Road [on checking, this seems to be a record shop now! In my day it was a typewriter shop]

It's called Defend Vinyl, my local independent record shop.

Elvis Costello launched his latest album from here back in January with a pop up pirate radio station (not to be confused with pop up pirate the kids game of course)

Give a shit or be a shit.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Mar 2022, 07:46

We had a grand time there in '09! Wish we could, but not in the cards at this point - maybe next year.

Have fun, all! Take pictures!!
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 11 Mar 2022, 14:56

Thanks! I'm staying in Liverpool a few days before the JU, so I can check out some of this stuff.
The crazy music drives you insane

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 11 Mar 2022, 17:15

I see the line-up at the Philharmonic Hall, or the Music Room part of it, around then is pretty good
17 May - Tom Robinson
21 May - Lindsey Buckingham, though this is sold out and you all might be busy
22 May - Boo Hewerdine
23/24 May - Van Morrison

On Friday 20th there is a band called the Dur-Dur Band - Somali funk, apparently. They sound great. £20 - it is a steal.

I see the Royal Court doesn't do gigs anymore. I had some great nights there.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Mar 2022, 13:25

The Slider wrote:
Livet wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:
Do it!!!

I did it!

Ace news :)

Isn't it? That's made my year.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 29 Mar 2022, 17:13

I've booked my train up and bus across
I should be in Hale about 3ish

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 29 Mar 2022, 22:50

I'm fairly certain I have a booked a room somewhere in Hale. Hope the car doesn't break down on the way there.
I run out of talent

Kid P
'scientific' type

Postby Kid P » 30 Mar 2022, 12:44

WG Kaspar wrote:I'm fairly certain I have a booked a room somewhere in Hale. Hope the car doesn't break down on the way there.

You have
God Of Thunder wrote:being a Paul McCartney fan is a bit like being his mom...

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 30 Mar 2022, 17:30

Kid P wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm fairly certain I have a booked a room somewhere in Hale. Hope the car doesn't break down on the way there.

You have

So I have! 20th and 21st, leaving on the 22nd.
I run out of talent

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Mar 2022, 18:31

Splendid!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Apr 2022, 15:45

Well, I'm officially excited!

Dr Markus wrote:

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 24 Apr 2022, 17:13

Me too
I hope Banksy is at least up to having visitors if not actually joining in the beer swilling

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Apr 2022, 15:36

Kid P wrote:

You have

I do too don't I John?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 May 2022, 14:52

MIX DISCS ANYONE?????

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Footy Ups”