L.A. / Ventura J.U. Saturday May 13? Sign up already...

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: L.A. / Ventura J.U.?

Postby harvey k-tel » 21 Nov 2016, 18:37

I'm hoping to make it out there next summer, probably mid/late July, which, by my reckoning, should be prime beer drinking weather, but I'll start a new thread about that when I have more details.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Nov 2016, 20:24

We actually need The Cat 'n' Fiddle in order to have a JU?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Nov 2016, 20:33

We shouldn't, but we haven't gotten one together either. This may inspire us to actually come together collectively.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

TG

Postby TG » 21 Nov 2016, 22:01

toomanyhatz wrote:We shouldn't, but we haven't gotten one together either. This may inspire us to actually come together collectively.

My thinking exactly!
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Nov 2016, 22:05

I'm up for it. I miss you guys, actually.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 21 Nov 2016, 22:26

I was actually enjoying the way this thread just kept going without ever setting anything up. It was poetic in its own way.

You guys go ahead and plan. I'm in the middle of setting up yet another surgery to fix my hand and arm. I have no idea how I'll be feeling or when. One operation took six months of screaming agony to recover with. (Yeah, 2014 was a real fucking hoot.) Nerve and tendon pain is no joke. Neither is going through all those procedures and still needing more. Do what you will, and I'll come if I'm able.

"Quite."

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 21 Nov 2016, 23:58

From their Facebook page -

We are currently in escrow for our new location on Highland Ave.

Near Melrose, is that "Laurel Canyon"? Well, at least parking stands a chance of not being a total nightmare, as it would further north on Highland.

Muskrat wrote:Inclement weather's a deal-breaker; otherwise, in.

"Inclement weather" in LA? :lol: That's pretty subjective. For some, that's when it rains longer than 20 minutes. For me, it's anything hotter than 80 degrees. You guys call it, I'll bring the snowmobile if we need it.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 22 Nov 2016, 18:48

zoomboogity wrote:
From their Facebook page -

We are currently in escrow for our new location on Highland Ave.

Near Melrose, is that "Laurel Canyon"? Well, at least parking stands a chance of not being a total nightmare, as it would further north on Highland.

Highland is several blocks east of Laurel Canyon; closer to the old Cat & Fiddle. Melrose is many blocks south on Highland, and parallel to Sunset. I would expect that buses go down there fairly reqularly, if that's what you were getting at.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 22 Nov 2016, 19:20

No, what I meant was, according to the Cat & Fiddle facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/catandfiddlerestaurant - "we go back 34 years to our original location in Laurel Canyon" - the area, not the boulevard. I just didn't realize that it (the area known as Laurel Canyon) went so far south. (And yes, I'm aware the street is called Crescent Heights until it intersects with Sunset Boulevard. "And there, at Pandora's Box...") They also say that the new location was formerly known as Mud Hen Tavern, which is 742 Highland, near Melrose Avenue. Sorry I wasn't too clear on that.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Nov 2016, 19:42

Their original location was apparently in/on Laurel Canyon where the Canyon store is now. Not sure what restaurant is there now, but it used to be Caioti, I'm pretty sure (home of the famous Labor-Inducing Salad).

The new address used to be Highland Grounds.

It's definitely a much better location for parking, but there's nothing much around it. Might be good for Matt Wilson's Car, but bad for other things - such as walking to Amoeba.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 22 Nov 2016, 20:24

zoomboogity wrote:No, what I meant was, according to the Cat & Fiddle facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/catandfiddlerestaurant - "we go back 34 years to our original location in Laurel Canyon" - the area, not the boulevard. I just didn't realize that it (the area known as Laurel Canyon) went so far south. (And yes, I'm aware the street is called Crescent Heights until it intersects with Sunset Boulevard. "And there, at Pandora's Box...") They also say that the new location was formerly known as Mud Hen Tavern, which is 742 Highland, near Melrose Avenue. Sorry I wasn't too clear on that.

The Cat & Fiddle's original location was under the Laurel Canyon Country Store; several restaurants have occupied the space since they moved to the space we know. The Highland location is where I and Hatzt described.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 22 Nov 2016, 21:03

The new place is called Pace. Pretty good food, lots of beautiful rich people. But I'd rather have the C&F back there!

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 22 Nov 2016, 21:19

Muskrat wrote:The Cat & Fiddle's original location was under the Laurel Canyon Country Store; several restaurants have occupied the space since they moved to the space we know. The Highland location is where I and Hatzt described.

So by saying that "we go back 34 years to our original location in Laurel Canyon," what they mean is that they'll be moving to a different location entirely. Got it. Unless they were just referring to the fact that they first opened back then and weren't claiming that they were returning to it. My reading comprehension isn't doing so well today. But yeah, if it's on Highland near Melrose, that's great. I used to go there in the '90s, I assume they still have that front patio area.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 29 Nov 2016, 01:59

zoomboogity wrote:
Muskrat wrote:The Cat & Fiddle's original location was under the Laurel Canyon Country Store; several restaurants have occupied the space since they moved to the space we know. The Highland location is where I and Hatzt described.

So by saying that "we go back 34 years to our original location in Laurel Canyon," what they mean is that they'll be moving to a different location entirely. Got it. Unless they were just referring to the fact that they first opened back then and weren't claiming that they were returning to it. My reading comprehension isn't doing so well today.

Yeah. Translation: "We go way back, 34 years! Of course that was at our original location in LC." They should definitely have put a comma after "years", if not rewriting it for clarity.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 29 Nov 2016, 02:35

Yeah, what happened there was that they wrote in the present tense ("We go back"), and on first reading - which is all I should need to do - I thought they were incorrectly using the future tense ("We will be returning"), when they were actually using the past tense ("Our history goes back") - again, incorrectly.

I'm zoomy.

I'm Quacoan.

And this has been BCB Internet Proofreaders Corner.

Your welcome.

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 29 Nov 2016, 02:48

zoomboogity wrote:
And this has been BCB Internet Proofreaders Corner.

Your welcome.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 29 Nov 2016, 04:47

"Pronoun trouble."

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 24 Mar 2017, 01:09

OK, let's do it. How about April 8th or 15th? If you want to do it sooner, make that clear in the usual fashion (i.e., type it here).

Couple options come to mind:
Loreley - very good/fresh German bar just opened on La Brea in Hollywood, both outdoor and indoor seating, not crowded (not yet)
Robin Hood - indoor English pub style in Sherman Oaks, some English beers though could be more, English food
Red Lion - German bar in Silverlake with an upstairs open-air covered patio as well as various other rooms to explore, hipsterish of course

Personally, I lean toward Loreley because the beer is very fresh and it has outdoor seating, though it's not particularly close for our more northerly friends (hatz, pillowz, Muskrat, etc.).

Thoughts?

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Mar 2017, 01:22

I guess the Cat and Fiddle hasn't reopened yet?

Loreley is a long way to go for me, but the Red Lion (which I like, though parking can be an issue) is even further!

Not much of a fan of the Robin Hood since they screwed over a friend of mine having a birthday party there, but I'd go there if that turns out to be the preferred spot.

I will definitely try to make it wherever and whenever it is, but Pillowz will be elsewhere on the 8th (not that she'd necessarily go anyway) and I have a gig on the 15th.
Footy wrote:

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Mar 2017, 02:22

As usual, I gave up booze for Lent this year, so I'm not drinking until after Easter (which I think is April 17th). Of course, I could be induced to make an appearance if a supply of heroin, barbiturates, bathroom-made meth, and a mountain of high-grade marijuana or some honest-to-goodness Owsley acid was proffered. I figure if all you guys pooled your money/time together you could get it together before the momentous occasion arrives.

Return to “Footy Ups”