Beyond the BCB 130 - The Manic Street Preachers

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: Beyond the BCB 130 - The Manic Street Preachers

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 23:40

Why should I let it go - it being the merits or otherwise of the rock band The Manic Street Preachers - on a thread started specifically to discuss the merits or otherwise of the rock band The Manic Street Preachers.

What do you expect to be discussed here and why did you come on the thread if you did not want to do that?

Seems a bit thick to me.

I have already pointed out that I don't haunt threads about bands I don't like telling everybody that the music they like is shit.

I have a little bit too much respect for myself and the simple pleasures of others to behave in such a boorish and unpleasant manner.

So Nev, here's an idea, fuck off and don't come back and you won't have to read anymore boring repetitive shit about how great the Manic Street Preachers are on a thread that was started to discuss how great the manic Street preachers are you fucking plonker.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 08 Apr 2015, 23:44

WG Kaspar wrote:For the record they are nowhere near as big as Radiohead and it's nonsense to assume otherwise. Outside of the UK their appeal is equal to zero and has been for at least 15 years now.

For me that's a good thing.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 08 Apr 2015, 23:51

Copehead wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:For the record they are nowhere near as big as Radiohead and it's nonsense to assume otherwise. Outside of the UK their appeal is equal to zero and has been for at least 15 years now.

Do some research into their comparative UK record sales.

Radiohead have released one album in the last 8 years and it got to Number 7 in the UK charts.

In that time The Manics have released 4 albums with a lowest charting position of 4 and two number 2 albums.

I think you are letting your own prejudices blind you to reality.

I can't believe that Radiohead are pulling in the punters much these days either on album, single or to gigs.

Outside the UK do Radiohead have any profile anymore, King of Limbs didn't set the world alight anywhere? The Manics are reasonably successful across Europe and a big live draw.

If Radiohead came back with a big album with songs on it they may regain a higher standing but at the moment I'd suggest they are pretty moribund in a way the manics aren't, but I fear Thom Yorke has travelled to far up the uncharted regions of his own rectum to come back now.

You've really lost the plot. I'm no fan of Radiohead but if they announced dates tomorrow in the uk, the phone lines would melt.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 08 Apr 2015, 23:54

I'm a classical trained musician but my brother isn't.

In the scheme of things musical being classical trained means exactly nowt.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 08 Apr 2015, 23:55

Copehead wrote:Why should I let it go - it being the merits or otherwise of the rock band The Manic Street Preachers - on a thread started specifically to discuss the merits or otherwise of the rock band The Manic Street Preachers.

What do you expect to be discussed here and why did you come on the thread if you did not want to do that?

Seems a bit thick to me.

I have already pointed out that I don't haunt threads about bands I don't like telling everybody that the music they like is shit.

I have a little bit too much respect for myself and the simple pleasures of others to behave in such a boorish and unpleasant manner.

So Nev, here's an idea, fuck off and don't come back and you won't have to read anymore boring repetitive shit about how great the Manic Street Preachers are on a thread that was started to discuss how great the manic Street preachers are you fucking plonker.

...and off you go again, humourlessly misunderstanding what has been said and the tone in that it has been offered.

Exasperating really, as is your wont of labelling others thick or boorish when it's you who lacks any self-awareness, any understanding of playfulness or fun on the board.

Never mind.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 08 Apr 2015, 23:57

Shit band
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 23:58

painted nails wrote:
Copehead wrote:

Do some research into their comparative UK record sales.

Radiohead have released one album in the last 8 years and it got to Number 7 in the UK charts.

In that time The Manics have released 4 albums with a lowest charting position of 4 and two number 2 albums.

I think you are letting your own prejudices blind you to reality.

I can't believe that Radiohead are pulling in the punters much these days either on album, single or to gigs.

Outside the UK do Radiohead have any profile anymore, King of Limbs didn't set the world alight anywhere? The Manics are reasonably successful across Europe and a big live draw.

If Radiohead came back with a big album with songs on it they may regain a higher standing but at the moment I'd suggest they are pretty moribund in a way the manics aren't, but I fear Thom Yorke has travelled to far up the uncharted regions of his own rectum to come back now.

You've really lost the plot. I'm no fan of Radiohead but if they announced dates tomorrow in the uk, the phone lines would melt.

I doubt it.

Because they have been away so long there would undoubtedly be interest, I'd probably go and see them if they played somewhere neat like the Roundhouse.

To get a massive reaction they'd have to announce that they were playing OK Computer in its entirety and encoring with Creep.

and that isn't going to happen is it?

They would announce they were touring a one hour whine by Thom Yorke about government surveillance backed by amazonian found sound and an electric one string banjo, then Jonny Greenwood would treat us to some of his recent film scores as an encore.

And they would probably nearly sell out HammyO.

Their last album was, by their standards, a complete flop and there has since been 4 years of silence and crap solo projects.

Does anyone care anymore?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 23:59

billy wrote:Shit band

Oh Billy, you have gone down in my estimation.

I had you pegged as a big fan

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 09 Apr 2015, 00:05

painted nails wrote:I'm a classical trained musician but my brother isn't.

In the scheme of things musical being classical trained means exactly nowt.

I'm classically trained, barely. 3rd French Horn Gwynedd Youth Orchestra briefly.

It means you can read music and, when you are trained to the level Moore was, you can arrange music properly.

For most bands that means the square root of sod all obviously, but if you want to bring in other instruments you can either hire a classically trained arranger or, if you are the Manics, do it yourself.

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 09 Apr 2015, 00:07

I like to tug winkles - I have developed a huge love for billy idol - I mean, for fuck sake, the very idea of him is such a giggle - I just have to like him

I have this fantastic idea for him

Like that american who got into leather

I realise this is just rambling and has nothing to do with those welsh lads ....

Jeremy Deller, huh?
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Apr 2015, 00:09

Their last album sold 33,500 copies in its first week of release, getting to as you pointed out to number 7. However the album was available for two months Before the retail release from their own website. So the retail chart position wouldn't be truly reflective of their standing in the marketplace.

Futurology got to number on its first week of release by selling 20,000.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 09 Apr 2015, 00:10

neville harp wrote:
Copehead wrote:Why should I let it go - it being the merits or otherwise of the rock band The Manic Street Preachers - on a thread started specifically to discuss the merits or otherwise of the rock band The Manic Street Preachers.

Seems a bit thick to me.

...and off you go again, humourlessly misunderstanding what has been said and the tone in that it has been offered.

Exasperating really, as is your wont of labelling others thick or boorish when it's you who lacks any self-awareness, any understanding of playfulness or fun on the board.

Never mind.

Oh you weren't tediously carping you were being fun and playful.

My bad.

It so difficult to tell the difference between the two.

Please continue with fun and playfulness

I suggest one of these may help :) when you are being fun and playful, because it still looks very much like tedious carping.

anyway back to the manics and why they are brilliant:

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 09 Apr 2015, 00:12

painted nails wrote:Their last album sold 33,500 copies in its first week of release, getting to as you pointed out to number 7. However the album was available for two months Before the retail release from their own website. So the retail chart position wouldn't be truly reflective of their standing in the marketplace.

And the decline in album sales over those years is?

It is hard to say what Radiohead sales would be like now 4 years after their last album failed to set the world alight.

Perhaps below 20,000 in its first week?

I like Radiohead as much as the next man, which isn't a great deal anymore after years of disappointment, but I'd still probably buy the next album with vague hope like I always do.

But my hope was actually fulfilled by the Manics with Futurology.

That is pretty rare with bands with that sort of longevity.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 09 Apr 2015, 00:17

Copehead wrote:
painted nails wrote:I'm no fan of Radiohead but if they announced dates tomorrow in the uk, the phone lines would melt.

I doubt it.

Well, they probably wouldn't literally melt, but the shows would sell out very quickly, to be sure. OK Computer defined a generation in England (don't ask me which generation exactly).

billy wrote:Shit band

Yup.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Apr 2015, 00:24

Copehead wrote:
painted nails wrote:Their last album sold 33,500 copies in its first week of release, getting to as you pointed out to number 7. However the album was available for two months Before the retail release from their own website. So the retail chart position wouldn't be truly reflective of their standing in the marketplace.

It is hard to say what Radiohead sales would be like now 4 years after their last album failed to set the world alight.

Given that you were using chart positions of the last Radiohead album versus the chart positions of the Manics to justify how more major than Radiohead they were. I would have thought the actual sales numbers might be relevant.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 09 Apr 2015, 00:31

Guy E wrote:[
Well, they probably wouldn't literally melt, but the shows would sell out very quickly, to be sure. OK Computer defined a generation in England (don't ask me which generation exactly).

And they wouldn't play a single song off it which is why most people wouldn't go.

As I said to generate any sort of real interest they'd have to announce what amounts to a greatest hits tour and the chances of that happening are close to zero.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 09 Apr 2015, 00:33

painted nails wrote:
Copehead wrote:

Given that you were using chart positions of the last Radiohead album versus the chart positions of the Manics to justify how more major than Radiohead they were. I would have thought the actual sales numbers might be relevant.

Well they might be, but given the general a steep decline in all album sales in recent years wouldn't chart position be a safer bet?

Unless you think Radiohead were just unlucky with the competition the week they released KoL.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 09 Apr 2015, 01:42

Copehead wrote:
Guy E wrote:Well, they probably wouldn't literally melt, but the shows would sell out very quickly, to be sure. OK Computer defined a generation in England (don't ask me which generation exactly).

And they wouldn't play a single song off it which is why most people wouldn't go.

As I said to generate any sort of real interest they'd have to announce what amounts to a greatest hits tour and the chances of that happening are close to zero.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that I give a shit.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 09 Apr 2015, 08:43

Guy E wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Guy E wrote:Well, they probably wouldn't literally melt, but the shows would sell out very quickly, to be sure. OK Computer defined a generation in England (don't ask me which generation exactly).

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that I give a shit.

Guy if you go to the bother of typing out stuff you don't give a shit about I feel it is beholden on me to type out an answer despite also not giving a shit.

It is the only thing that keeps the board going.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 Apr 2015, 09:16

Do you go on and on like this in 'real life', Copehead?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Beyond the 130: BCB cult acts”