BCB 130 - Irma Thomas

Rayge

Re: BCB 130 - Irma Thomas

Postby Rayge » 02 Nov 2014, 16:09

Actually, Irma never gave it up in the first place
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 04 Nov 2014, 02:56

Phenomenal Cat wrote:
Six String wrote:Don't tell Aretha but I think Irma took her crown years ago. :)

Seriously?!?

I also prefer Irma. I love Aretha - I mean, you'd have to be deaf not to - but Irma just had a little extra something... I dunno what exactly, but there's something about Irma that just brings it a notch above for me.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 17:28

Today I'm thinking this was the greatest single from the sixties..

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Apr 2015, 18:18

You know it makes sense - first single of hers I bought

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Apr 2015, 17:49

OK, I get that it's all about the singles here, but by god every last track on this is great:

Kind of a theme with her, awful covers with great music, eh?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Flower

Postby Flower » 09 Apr 2015, 19:11

I can't count the number of times that I've seen Irma Thomas, from various venues in New Orleans including "Jazzfest" where she'd often jump on stage with her buddy Marcia Ball and do an impromptu duet to more Northern venues. It would be difficult to pin down my favorite Irma Thomas tune but "It's Raining" is up there at the top .. I love "Breakaway" and giggle at("You can have my Husband but Please) Don't Mess with my Man" ..

I like this too ...

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 09 Apr 2015, 19:34

toomanyhatz wrote:OK, I get that it's all about the singles here, but by god every last track on this is great:

Assuming it's the same album with a later reissue (which I've never seen before) pictured above, I always thought the original LP sleeve was somewhat baffling:
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Apr 2015, 20:01

Guy E wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:OK, I get that it's all about the singles here, but by god every last track on this is great:

Assuming it's the same album with a later reissue (which I've never seen before) pictured above, I always thought the original LP sleeve was somewhat baffling:

They are the same album. The prevailing wisdom was that black women pictured on crossover albums hit sales among white folks, hence the nonsense. Same was true of Barbara Lewis and others. Otis Blue also came complete with a white woman to perv at.

Oh, and pretty much every track on that album was released on a single A or B

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 09 Apr 2015, 20:41

'skope wrote:cheers rayge.

not really much to add, but wanted to bump your thread by saying that this is in my top 5 songs of all-time.

i get the biggest of BCB hard-ons when i listen to it. in fact, i can't just listen to it once. at 1:32, i melt.

still top 5.

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 10 Apr 2015, 14:10

Nolamike wrote:
And if y'all ever get the chance to see her live, do - she always puts on a great show.

She certainly does. Saw year a year or two ago in Barcelona and she blew the roof off. She was clearly having an absolutely wonderful time; the sellout crowd was giving her a lot of love for her first-ever gig in Spain and she really responded.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 20 Mar 2018, 14:25

Not beyond, but bump it anyway. She's the greatest

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 20 Mar 2018, 14:46

Nolamike wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:
Six String wrote:Don't tell Aretha but I think Irma took her crown years ago. :)

Seriously?!?

I also prefer Irma. I love Aretha - I mean, you'd have to be deaf not to - but Irma just had a little extra something... I dunno what exactly, but there's something about Irma that just brings it a notch above for me.

I have basically the opposite view.
Revisiting the Aretha records over the past few years and I’m more certain than ever of her greatness, which I think I undervalued in the past.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Beyond the 130: BCB cult acts”