What it says on the tin.
never/ever

PC21- Round 4 Match 6 *trans-chigley express 13- Mike Boom 4*

Postby never/ever » 13 Apr 2021, 12:56

A

Sanguine Hum - Out of Mind

B

Jack Bruce - Rope Ladder To The Moon

Last edited by never/ever on 22 Apr 2021, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: PC21- Round 4 Match 6

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Apr 2021, 00:04

I dutifully listened to A just to make sure it wasn't going to beat B, a great song from a great album, and beautifully sung and played. I'd've picked it myself if I'd thought of it. Yes, Jack Bruce had my favorite solo career of the three Cream guys. Handily, in fact (though the other two did manage a good record or two each :D ).

A's fine, but not that fine.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 Apr 2021, 03:10

A is pleasant enough, though not very distinctive. B has such an awkward melody! Would have been better as an instrumental.

A
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Good Night Austin, Texas

Postby Good Night Austin, Texas » 14 Apr 2021, 14:24

I love Jack Bruce but i think that tracks been picked before. Something from Harmony Row or Out of the Storm would have got my vote.

i quite enjoyed A , its well recorded sound quality wise.

A

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 14 Apr 2021, 17:08

I really like Jack's solo work but he's no Jimmy Dewar.
Sanguine Hum are completely new to me. The influences are obvious, yeah I'm looking at you Crimson. But, I was encouraged to explore a bit further. The album this track is from works very well as a whole piece IMO and is a little more rock than this would suggest.
Back to the matter in hand.
B sounds a bit too contrived to these ears. Artifice for arts sake.
Gotta be A.
A.

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Apr 2021, 17:29

Jumper K wrote:I really like Jack's solo work but he's no Jimmy Dewar.

That's a really interesting point Frank.

Do you mean regarding voice, bass, playing or both?

I assume you mean voice...

It's interesting, as you know, that Frank played with Trower on BLT 'replacing' Dewar.

I agree with GNDT that the track choice is a well worn one but it is a corker! But agreed there are other corkers less well known that might have gained our Jack one or two more votes. At least it wasn't the ubiquitous Imaginary Western as great as that track might be (sorry to blaspheme kath)

Anyway, it is going to take something very special for me not to vote for Bruce.

So, Sanguine Hum. Never heard of them. But that doesn't mean much if they are post 1978.

"Sanguine Hum was formed from the ashes of the Joff Winks Band and the Antique Seeking Nuns (a heady mix of Zappa and Canterbury influenced instrumental compositions with songwriting that owed much to artists such as Robert Wyatt)".

Sounds interesting. Here we go:

It got off to a good start and then the insipid vocals came in.

On a positive I think it sounds fresh - 'derivative claptrap' is not coming to mind nor a long list of bands this lot are trying to emulate (that's good!)

It's been playing four minutes now and it needs to do something! A guitar solo? A crumhorn solo?

The last 20 seconds spoilt the non-DC - a straight nick from Softs Out-Bloody-Rageous. Still I'll give them that.

I did want to give my vote to them but the track, to my old ears, just didn't develop and didn't hold my interest nor challenge me.

Either would have done.

I would put money on knowing who chose this!

JB [RIP] is the MAN!

-+B+-

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 14 Apr 2021, 17:38

C wrote:
Jumper K wrote:I really like Jack's solo work but he's no Jimmy Dewar.

That's a really interesting point Frank.

Do you mean regarding voice, bass, playing or both?

I assume you mean voice...

It's interesting, as you know, that Frank played with Trower on BLT 'replacing' Dewar.

I agree with GNDT that the track choice is a well worn one but it is a corker! But agreed there are other corkers less well known that might have gained our Jack one or two more votes. At least it wasn't the ubiquitous Imaginary Western as great as that track might be (sorry to blaspheme kath)

Anyway, it is going to take something very special for me not to vote for Bruce.

So, Sanguine Hum. Never heard of them. But that doesn't mean much if they are post 1978.

"Sanguine Hum was formed from the ashes of the Joff Winks Band and the Antique Seeking Nuns (a heady mix of Zappa and Canterbury influenced instrumental compositions with songwriting that owed much to artists such as Robert Wyatt)".

Sounds interesting. Here we go:

It got off to a good start and then the insipid vocals came in.

On a positive I think it sounds fresh - 'derivative claptrap' is not coming to mind nor a long list of bands this lot are trying to emulate (that's good!)

It's been playing four minutes now and it needs to do something! A guitar solo? A crumhorn solo?

The last 20 seconds spoilt the non-DC - a straight nick from Softs Out-Bloody-Rageous. Still I'll give them that.

I did want to give my vote to them but the track, to my old ears, just didn't develop and didn't hold my interest nor challenge me.

Either would have done.

I would put money on knowing who chose this!

JB [RIP] is the MAN!

-+B+-

I will accept that Jack has it in the bass playing stakes C. But vocal wise its a no-brainer. I do enjoy Jack with Trower, but there is always something missing to my ears. I'm interested in who chose A.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 15 Apr 2021, 04:08

i do love jack, but i'm just not all that in love with this track. something about it doesn't hang together, has strange almost discordant bits in there. i'm sure they work for other people who are perhaps more sane, but not me. i like the instruments, but i'm not really moved or blown away. as a whole, it feels... a bit off.

A was intriguing, well-done, with sections that veered into beautiful. i think it's really, really good, caught my ear and kept it. i need to look into more of this.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Apr 2021, 11:24

Jumper K wrote:I will accept that Jack has it in the bass playing stakes C. But vocal wise its a no-brainer. I do enjoy Jack with Trower, but there is always something missing to my ears. I'm interested in who chose A.

I love Jack's voice but I'll agree Dewar's is even better.

[Jack plays 'cello better than Jim...!]

:)
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Apr 2021, 14:36

A is a really nice track, crisply produced and melodic and has a certain something that will pull you back for more. I get the nods to Soft Machine's Out-Bloody-Rageous in the intro and outro too, and that's not a bad thing.

Like kath I also found something uncomfortably discordant about B. All the elements were there that I would normally like but it just did not quite gel for me.

A

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 15 Apr 2021, 18:50

I'm in two minds here:

For me, Jack Bruce's original of Rope Ladder was just the template for what Colosseum would later make out of it. I kept waiting for Dick Heckstall-Smith's glorious sax to come wailing (and unlike Carlsson, I love their live album with Chris Farlowe!).
Here it is, Dick's bit starting at 2:39 is one of my favourite solos by anyone ever, and the rest ain't too shabby either.

Anyway, out of this feeling of slight disappointment, I'll say

A

which, albeit derivative, has several very pretty passages.

PS: I didn't expect Jack to get so little love from you guys!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Apr 2021, 19:35

That's marvelous, other than the vocals! Bruce sings it SO much better.

The perfect version would be Bruce singing in front of that with a few minutes cut off.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Apr 2021, 20:57

toomanyhatz wrote:That's marvelous, other than the vocals! Bruce sings it SO much better.

The perfect version would be Bruce singing in front of that with a few minutes cut off.

I love Colosseum but over the 20 years amongst you folk I have made my views clear on the portentous vocals of Chris Farlowe.

Atomic Rooster and Colosseum come to mind.

Interestingly I have mellowed somewhat in that view over relatively recent years

I still think Farlowe ruined Colosseum but was more suited to Rooster.

Here's a track where I think it works. [Replete with sandwich!]

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 15 Apr 2021, 21:23

A Quite pleasant and interesting
B Where’s the tune Bruce?

A
“Erratic associate member”

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Apr 2021, 22:56

B is of course the correct answer !

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 16 Apr 2021, 08:14

A

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Apr 2021, 15:23

Sanguine Hum are a band I have followed since their debut as they’ve had a good deal of coverage in knowing prog circles.

1st album I didn’t like but I persisted and did quite like the 2nd album from which this is taken. Then didn’t like the 3rd or 4th albums at all so have given up on them now.

If anyone does follow up with their interest I’d be interested in your comments on what you hear.

Don’t go much on Jack Bruce solo to be honest. Bit dull.

A doesn’t sit particularly well with me but at least it’s interesting.

A

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 18 Apr 2021, 01:49

A- Don't know this band and like this tune might not be the most memorable tune but nice flow and both vocals and musicians blended well.

B- I like Jack on other peoples music. HIs vocals are awful, lyrics poor and I'll take Jaco's solo work anyday of the week much more memorable and interesting.

A

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 18 Apr 2021, 01:58

Hightea wrote:lyrics poor

Aside from the fact that I disagree rather strenuously, you can't hold him responsible for that. The lyrics are by Peter Brown.

The 'vocals awful' part is also rather mystifying, but we'll let that go for now...
Footy wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Apr 2021, 15:53

A
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”