Preliminary Round - Match 4 - Harvey K-Tel out

Molony

Postby Molony » 11 Apr 2007, 22:10

I choose A (if this fecking message will post)... :x

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 11 Apr 2007, 22:14

Jeff K wrote:B

...for having the balls to put Simply Saucer and a vastly underrated Soft Boy's track on their list.

B

Listen to Jeff K at this point. Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen help A's cause a fair bit, but is let down by the dire Stone Roses.

B suffers from Wilco presence, but, as Jeff alluded, the mere presence of Simply Saucer is a huge plus in its favour, while The Fall is a bonus.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 11 Apr 2007, 22:50

The Stone Roses song is a massive tune, still carries an impact today. I'm amazed people are so negative about it -listen to it loud with a few beers and you'll be won over.

Hotblack Desiato

Postby Hotblack Desiato » 11 Apr 2007, 22:50

A

B leaves me cold (bloody perishing actually).
A at least gets me nice and warmed up before turning the heating off half way through.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit"

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 11 Apr 2007, 23:16

God Only Knows? London Calling? How bloody obvious do you want to be?

Have said that...A
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 11 Apr 2007, 23:34

A

Molony

Postby Molony » 12 Apr 2007, 00:00

A

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 12 Apr 2007, 00:10

Corporal Moddie! wrote:The Stone Roses song is a massive tune, still carries an impact today. I'm amazed people are so negative about it -listen to it loud with a few beers and you'll be won over.

i used to listen to it in dance clubs in 1994 or whenever it was and it used to fill the floor and rock the house, big stylee.

still love it, though "breaking into heaven" is the truly great song off the album.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 12 Apr 2007, 00:55

Jude wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:B doesn't have The Stone Roses in it. FIRST ENACTING OF THE CLAUSE!
Dickhead.
No need to take proceedings so seriously champion. As someone who copped a flogging in the first year of this thing because everyone enacted their anti-Tori Amos clauses, it's all a bit of fun :-)
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 12 Apr 2007, 02:19

A is very familiar, almost too much so, but that's no bad when the songs are good.
king of the divan

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 12 Apr 2007, 02:44

The Red Heifer wrote:
Jude wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:B doesn't have The Stone Roses in it. FIRST ENACTING OF THE CLAUSE!
Dickhead.
No need to take proceedings so seriously champion. As someone who copped a flogging in the first year of this thing because everyone enacted their anti-Tori Amos clauses, it's all a bit of fun :-)

Heifer, if you put Tori Amos in with 9 James Brown tracks you'd lose my vote :)
king of the divan

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 12 Apr 2007, 07:52

A wins again for me.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 12 Apr 2007, 08:20

A

sensi

Postby sensi » 12 Apr 2007, 08:36

A for me

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 12 Apr 2007, 09:52

B for me.
Fishstick selling fuck

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 12 Apr 2007, 12:02

A just.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 12 Apr 2007, 12:38

a..

God Only Knows - The Beach Boys (+1 - these days I'm not so sure about this song. I'm not marking down on grounds of unoriginality. It is good though.)
London Calling - The Clash (+1 - ah! the second Clash choice in two ties which I'm not so sure about)
Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield (+3)
Each and Every One - Everything But The Girl (0)
Love Spreads - Stone Roses (+1)
Tower Of Song - Leonard Cohen (0)
Messiah Ward - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (0)
Up for the Down Stroke - Parliament (0)
Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead (+2 - a bold choice really)
Jeepster - T. Rex (0)

b...

My New House - The Fall (0)
Wedding Song - Bob Dylan (0 - fuck that's two artists who I love with songs I don't know)
High Voltage - AC/DC (0)
Down at the Rock and Roll Club - Richard Hell & The Voidoids (0)
Tonight - The Soft Boys (0)
Ashes Of American Flags - Wilco (+2 - at last, something I can definitively like!)
Fugitive Kind - Paul Westerberg (0)
Thirteen - Big Star (0)
Nazi Apocalypse - Simply Saucer (0)
Albuquerque - Neil Young (0)

Fuck, I feel really bad on B - unfamiliarity on my part (and not through esostericness on theirs) has scuppered the list. It looks really interesting, but a few big hitters take it for A.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Gater05

Postby Gater05 » 12 Apr 2007, 23:55

b
what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 13 Apr 2007, 00:02

Leg of lamb wrote:God Only Knows - The Beach Boys (+1 - these days I'm not so sure about this song. I'm not marking down on grounds of unoriginality. It is good though.)
London Calling - The Clash (+1 - ah! the second Clash choice in two ties which I'm not so sure about)
Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield (+3)

i'm amazed that you think the dusty song is better than the other two. mind you, i am on the whisky now.

Thirteen - Big Star (0)

you really need to hear this track, david. if i'm honest, big star are a bit overrated when they rock out (they're cursed with this - it's all a bit forgettable, hence the dog's antipathy) but their pop songs and ballads are just about as good as it gets.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Beno

Postby Beno » 13 Apr 2007, 00:10

The Mighty Giraffe! wrote:
Thirteen - Big Star (0)

you really need to hear this track, david. if i'm honest, big star are a bit overrated when they rock out (they're cursed with this - it's all a bit forgettable, hence the dog's antipathy) but their pop songs and ballads are just about as good as it gets.

That's a spot on analysis of Big Star. But then I'm a Big Star heretic in that I believe that Radio City is the weakest of the first three albums.